P and O ferries in trouble.

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Mark

Re: P and O ferries in trouble.

Post by Mark »

P&O Ferries bosses WON'T face criminal proceedings after firing 800 workers without notice says Government a day after firm's Dubai-based owners celebrated record-breaking £736million profits:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... otice.html

What a surprise.
The race to the bottom continues...
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Most regrettable, but not in my view surprising.
The owners of P and O had access to the best legal advice that dirty oil money could buy, and took care to remain just within the law.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Dubai Ports World was stopped by US Congress pressure from buying some US ports a while ago. I expect that the UK would not be in a position to apply pressure to them in a similar manner. Maybe some UAE pressure was applied to stop the prosecution of the company for the firing of the workers.

Probably the best move will be to use the ferries less and to try to get the company on safety violations.
G'Day cobber!
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

Or allow the free market (remember that :D ) to deicide the going rate.

Irish scumbag ferries( owned by Irish gov) register their ships, not in Dublin where the min wage is enforced, but in Cyprus. So they don't have to pay any min wage as Cyprus does not have a min wage.

Irish scumbag ferries, will soon be operating on the Dover -Calais route.

It's a pity market forces does not apply to banks, finance industry, decent food industry.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The P&O boss admitted to a Parliamentary hearing that they broke the law - they should at least be punished for that....
Then there's the civil case which has gone very quiet, so I guess that won't amount to very much...
HMG could still strip DP World of all their lucrative public sector contracts....
But nothing, nada, zilch...

Deep down, the Tories are secretly pleased about this....
And hope they can engineer something similar on the railways....?
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

Mark wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 16:04
HMG could still strip DP World of all their lucrative public sector contracts....
And heavily reward Irish ferries? Why?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Stumuz2 wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 16:25
Mark wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 16:04
And heavily reward Irish ferries? Why?
My (uninformed) guess would be one or more of the following:
1. Some members of HMG have been paid off by DP World / P&O and Irish Ferries
2. HMG still see themselves in a 1980s ideological battle with the Trade Unions and view this as a victory for the 'free market'
3. HMG prioritise corporate profits over UK jobs, working conditions and safety
4. HMG are incompetent

As you know everything, you tell us why HMG haven't acted against P&O.... ?
You tell us why they award contracts to Irish Ferries.... ?
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

I've just emailed my conservative MP who is a lawyer to ask why no prosecution. I probably won't get an answer so I'll write the the local paper to ask her publicly.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

Mark wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 17:31
1. Some members of HMG have been paid off by DP World / P&O and Irish Ferries
So the Irish tax payer has bribed HMG? Yer right.
Mark wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 17:31 2. HMG still see themselves in a 1980s ideological battle with the Trade Unions and view this as a victory for the 'free market'
We have not had a free market since Labour bailed out the banks. No price discovery.
Mark wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 17:31 3. HMG prioritise corporate profits over UK jobs, working conditions and safety
So this is why we have more Health and Safety legislation in force than ever before in human history in the UK? Boring platitude.
Mark wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 17:31 4. HMG are incompetent
All governments are incompetent. Todays political problems are the result of yesterdays political solutions.
Mark wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 17:31 As you know everything, you tell us why HMG haven't acted against P&O.... ?
You tell us why they award contracts to Irish Ferries.... ?
Because as i said from the beginning. P&O have not done anything criminal. They are merely competing against Irish scumbag ferries.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Stumuz2 wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 21:10 So the Irish tax payer has bribed HMG? Yer right.
Because as i said from the beginning. P&O have not done anything criminal. They are merely competing against Irish scumbag ferries.
So, if not bribery, why has HMG allowed DP World / P&O and Irish Ferries to get away with what they've done ?
If, as you propose, this is all down to Irish Ferries, why does HMG continue to award them contracts ??
I thought the brave new Brexit World was supposed to give us back control of our laws, borders etc. etc. ???
Go on then - your suggestions for HMG's motives for not intervening are most welcome...
Stumuz2 wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 21:10 We have not had a free market since Labour bailed out the banks. No price discovery.
All governments are incompetent. Todays political problems are the result of yesterdays political solutions.
The Tories have been in power for 12 yrs and counting - let's repeat that - 12 YEARS AND COUNTING...
The Tories currently have a massive majority in Parliament, and can basically do what they want...
The Tories have been in power for the vast majority of the post-war years....
To blame all today's economic ills on Labour is just pathetic - oh, and by the way, it was a global banking crisis...
Stumuz2 wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 21:10 So this is why we have more Health and Safety legislation in force than ever before in human history in the UK? Boring platitude.
It may be boring, but I like (sensible) H&S measures.
If I board a ferry (or a plane, train, taxi), I expect to arrive in 1 piece, unlike the 193 dead passengers on the Herald of Free Enterprise...
I want trained and experienced staff - not contract workers, paid a pittance who probably don't care less...
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

Mark wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 16:12
So, if not bribery, why has HMG allowed DP World / P&O and Irish Ferries to get away with what they've done ?
If, as you propose, this is all down to Irish Ferries, why does HMG continue to award them contracts ??
I thought the brave new Brexit World was supposed to give us back control of our laws, borders etc. etc. ???
Go on then - your suggestions for HMG's motives for not intervening are most welcome...
It's simple. P@O did what they did because of Irish scumbag ferries came onto the route. The government did not nationalise the route. Irish scumbag ferries came onto the route. Really if you don't understand basic competition theory, well, vote Labour.
Mark wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 16:12 The Tories have been in power for 12 yrs and counting - let's repeat that - 12 YEARS AND COUNTING...
The Tories currently have a massive majority in Parliament, and can basically do what they want...
The Tories have been in power for the vast majority of the post-war years....
To blame all today's economic ills on Labour is just pathetic - oh, and by the way, it was a global banking crisis...
Labour bailed out the banks. End of price discovery. Nobody needs to go bankrupt, Just bail me out. Really if you don't understand basic competition theory, well, vote Labour.
Mark wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 16:12 It may be boring, but I like (sensible) H&S measures.
If I board a ferry (or a plane, train, taxi), I expect to arrive in 1 piece, unlike the 193 dead passengers on the Herald of Free Enterprise...
I want trained and experienced staff - not contract workers, paid a pittance who probably don't care less...
I never said it was boring. I said YOU trot out boring platitudes. We have NEVER had higher safety standards. Just ignorant people who, when devoid of a coherent reply trot out boring platitudes of,
"HMG prioritise corporate profits over UK jobs, working conditions and safety"= boring platitude.
Mark

Post by Mark »

You really are the master of evading questions and deflecting into points that aren't relevant to the thread.
Have you thought of a career in local politics ?

I'm not convinced that Irish Ferries is the only factor with P&O, but OK, let's go with it....
Why did HMG award contacts to Irish Ferries if they're well known to be a rogue operation ??
Hint - try answering without mentioning Labour, the EU, elephants, star signs or anything else OT.
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

Mark wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 21:26 You really are the master of evading questions and deflecting into points that aren't relevant to the thread.
Have you thought of a career in local politics ?

I'm not convinced that Irish Ferries is the only factor with P&O, but OK, let's go with it....
Why did HMG award contacts to Irish Ferries if they're well known to be a rogue operation ??
Hint - try answering without mentioning Labour, the EU, elephants, star signs or anything else OT.
Pointless. You don't get it. It's used to be called the free market. It's anathema to you.

But to an observer it really boils down to just one question which you refuse to answer.

1/ What was P&O (think British airways) to do when scumbag ferries (think Ryan air) opened in direct competition? Don't bleat about about what the government (nanny) should or shouldn't have done. Just answer the REAL question. Scumbag competitor opens in competition. You won't answer you are incapable.

As for bananas.

Have another go at trying to understand the full subtle, illegal, market distorting, French corruption at the highest level, beauty of it all.
https://simplestudying.com/case-27-76-u ... 8-ecr-207/

Spoiler alert, its not about bent bananas as you first thought.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ah yes, no answer....., no elephants this time, but lets deflect onto your old favourite, them bent bananas....
Repeat - you can't blame the EU for all our ills anymore - WE'VE LEFT

Where is HMG - the answer is NOWHERE
If we've taken back control, why is that ???
Where is the mythical Brexit dividend ?????
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

What has the government to do with free market competition?

What should a company do when faced with a cutter and slasher competitor? No answer as usual. Just, look over there.