Not a bad article on Marx ...

What can we do to change the minds of decision makers and people in general to actually do something about preparing for the forthcoming economic/energy crises (the ones after this one!)?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Not a bad article on Marx ...

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Not a bad article on Marx from the Economist via Medium. Obviously not written from a left wing point of view but interesting all the same. Some flaws which I picked up and commented on thus -
Firstly, the article talks as if we still lived under a capitalist system where businesses were allowed to fail and be recycled. Nowadays we live in a Corporatist system where too many businesses, especially financial ones, are too big to fail and are baled out by the taxpayer “to save the economy!� The corporations are able to avoid paying most taxes, putting the burden of taxation onto a middle class that is rapidly becoming impoverished, and are assisted in this by our politicians and civil servants who prostitute themselves to those corporations in the hope of a lucrative position on retirement.

Secondly, although the levels of extreme poverty might be dropping the numbers of people going into ordinary, if there is such a thing, poverty is increasing as fewer and fewer people can afford to buy a house and private rental costs are soaring, removing from people the money to buy the “stuff� which keeps business and the economy going.

Thirdly, unlike the 1950s, when great business leaders like Henry Ford saw that they would make more money if their employees had the money to spend on the products that they manufactured, the idiots running today’s corporations think that they can impoverish their workers to pay themselves ever inflating salaries and keep their businesses profitable. Instead of the myth of trickle down economics we have all that money being invested into property, impoverishing their employees further, and worthless bits of paper in the financial markets.

It’s not a case of roll on the revolution it’s a case of beware the upcoming crash. All those worthless bits of paper will finally be seen to be worthless and all that property will also be worthless when no on has the money to pay the extortionate rents.
Last edited by kenneal - lagger on Wed May 09, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

Nice one :lol:
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

bale ≠ bail

:oops:

Otherwise, yes.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

It's a paywalled story, but I get the gist and agree with what you say. Because of lobbying govts, and govts wishing to be paid more to do less work, there are perverse incentives to business structure to favour;

large, multinational, publicly listed, limited liability etc.

All of these are against social good and against true capitalism.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

emordnilap wrote:bale ≠ bail

Otherwise, yes.
It's the farmer in me. Sorry.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

kenneal - lagger wrote:
emordnilap wrote:bale ≠ bail

Otherwise, yes.
It's the farmer in me. Sorry.
Yes, I understand - Irish farmers are always getting a bale out.

:wink:
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker