Conservative government watch

What can we do to change the minds of decision makers and people in general to actually do something about preparing for the forthcoming economic/energy crises (the ones after this one!)?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

emordnilap

Conservative government watch

Post by emordnilap »

This is what you have to get used to:
David Cameron wrote:For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone. This government will conclusively turn the page on this failed approach.
Teresa May wants to “ban non-violent extremist groups that fall short of the current threshold for being banned as terrorist-related organizations.” Think about that very closely. Essentially, she is saying non-violent groups that are currently not breaking any laws should be criminalized by creating new laws.
Source

From now on, not breaking any laws is not enough.

Start listing all the stuff you'll be asking candidates to repeal in five years' time - something tells me it's gonna be a long list. A meringue?
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
Tarrel

Post by Tarrel »

No. You have to learn to love Big Brother!
Engage in geo-engineering. Plant a tree today.
3rdRock

Post by 3rdRock »

Tarrel wrote:
No. You have to learn to love Big Brother!
I can't stand the program! :wink:
madibe

Post by madibe »

To expand:
The aim is to catch not just those who spread or incite hatred on the grounds of gender, race or religion but also those who undertake harmful activities for the “purpose of overthrowing democracy”.

They would include a ban on broadcasting and a requirement to submit to the police in advance any proposed publication on the web and social media or in print.
ohmygod :roll:

So essentially, what they are saying is that you can not object to their version of democracy. I.e. - if you have a different vision that you would like to share with people... well, you are doomed.

It is surely against what democracy is. The right to freedom of speech and the right to lobby others to your cause, so that democracy can indeed be practiced. Or am I missing something?

Having said that, this is probably just a pre-emptive strike against the Islimisation of the UK. Perhaps.
3rdRock

Post by 3rdRock »

.... and so it begins

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 65383.html
Wages paid to illegal immigrants will be confiscated by the police, says David Cameron
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ge-osborne
George Osborne has told Whitehall departments that the fresh squeeze on government spending has begun, ordering them to make an immediate start on finding the £13bn of cuts needed for the next phase of his deficit reduction plan.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

It's all rather sinister. My personal alarm bells kept ringing every time Cameron said " Hard Working " - the way he used the words sounded so Orwellian - and I kept getting a mental image of the infamous "Work Will Set You Free" sign over a gate.

I've always planned to keep my head down when things start to crumble, I think now it's time to go quiet.
AutomaticEarth

Post by AutomaticEarth »

More bad news for Cameron - immigration up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32816454

Be interesting to see how he gets out of this one, given that there'll be no new money for any new 'task force' or the police.
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

The Tories don't want immigration to go down.

They want cheap labour to mow their lawns and harvest vegetables and clean their loos.

If is illegal labour, so much the better. You can pay them below the minimum wage and if they complain you can out them to the police, get them deported without appeal <i>and</I> confiscate what little money you paid them back again.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

maudibe wrote:To expand:
The aim is to catch not just those who spread or incite hatred on the grounds of gender, race or religion but also those who undertake harmful activities for the “purpose of overthrowing democracy”.

They would include a ban on broadcasting and a requirement to submit to the police in advance any proposed publication on the web and social media or in print.
ohmygod :roll:

So essentially, what they are saying is that you can not object to their version of democracy. I.e. - if you have a different vision that you would like to share with people... well, you are doomed.
This is what I was thinking. They're right at the start of their rule. They're going to hit hard and early. And of course Labour loves having its tummy scratched.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
cubes

Re: Conservative government watch

Post by cubes »

emordnilap wrote:Start listing all the stuff you'll be asking candidates to repeal in five years' time - something tells me it's gonna be a long list. A meringue?
And watch them ignore your list and carry on, business as usual.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

cubes wrote:
emordnilap wrote:Start listing all the stuff you'll be asking candidates to repeal in five years' time - something tells me it's gonna be a long list. A meringue?
Well, it will most likely be ignored, yes. Or, just as likely, anyone who posts here will be deemed a terrorist.

Or you could use it to give yourself a 'repeal wish list' in five years.
3rdRock

Post by 3rdRock »

cubes wrote:
Summed up nicely by Billy Rowan. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APtjjus ... M7ps9uaSLC
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

That whole Monkey Suit album is pretty good. I might even buy it! 8)
3rdRock

Post by 3rdRock »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/m ... -colleague
A plan by the home secretary to introduce counter-extremism powers to vet British broadcasters’ programmes before they are transmitted has been attacked in the bluntest terms as a threat to freedom of speech by one of her own Conservative cabinet colleagues, the Guardian has learned.

Sajid Javid wrote to David Cameron to say that, as culture secretary, he was unable to support Theresa May’s proposal to give Ofcom the new powers to take pre-emptive action against programmes that included “extremist content,” in a letter sent just before the start of the general election campaign.
More from the Indie:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 68697.html
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

3rdRock wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/m ... -colleague
A plan by the home secretary to introduce counter-extremism powers to vet British broadcasters’ programmes before they are transmitted has been attacked in the bluntest terms as a threat to freedom of speech by one of her own Conservative cabinet colleagues, the Guardian has learned.

Sajid Javid wrote to David Cameron to say that, as culture secretary, he was unable to support Theresa May’s proposal to give Ofcom the new powers to take pre-emptive action against programmes that included “extremist content,” in a letter sent just before the start of the general election campaign.
More from the Indie:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 68697.html
This may not rival the 'Current Oil Price' thread, but the Conservatives may ensure it tries. (Or is that the Conservatives' May? :lol: )