DODGY TAX AVOIDERS message???

Post your ideas to improve the forums here

Moderators: Peak Moderation, Site Administrators

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Apart from dodgy employment practises the main problem is their ability to avoid corporation tax by off shoring their profits. This means that they can undercut ethical local businesses with lower employment costs and because they have better margins on sales because of the much lower taxes that they pay.

For some reason governments don't seem to want to tackle this. I have suggested on a number of occasions to my MP that corporation tax should be scrapped on retailers and an across the board sales tax introduced in its place, with no get out clauses. That would level the playing field.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

BritDownUnder wrote:Back to the Dodgy Tax Avoiders and Australia.

I am not certain they could make money in Australia. Australia is a sovereign country with fairly strict visa requirements and no open door to many no doubt willing workers from foreign countries to work in their warehouses, errrr fulfilment centres, unlike, for example, the UK with Eastern European workers. Therefore the company would have to pay a very "generous" minimum wage (AU$19, I think, which is one third of my hourly rate BTW) controlled by a sovereign parliament. In addition GST (Australia's VAT) would be charged on the goods.
How much tax could be avoided by basing their head office overseas is debatable. The Australian government is trying to crack down on companies paying little tax but I don't know the success of it.

I don't see them coming any time soon. Cost of postage is another issue and long distances.
Right. From what you say, they've decided not to invade Australia. Well done for now, BDU.

No doubt there is pressure from them and their lobbyists on the Aussie governments to facilitate their extortion. After all, Bezos wanted to call it www.relentless.com (try it).

Apparently they paid no tax in 2017 or 2018 and, indeed, received tax rebates! I can't do that.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

I am sorry to say that I am considering a purchase from the dodgy tax avoiders.
I have a desire for a supply of Whitbread gold label barley wine, which despite being reduced in strength over the years is still a nice nourishing beer for the coming winter.

No one locally seems to sell it.

Probably some "voluntary" anti binge drinking measure. Though discouraging the sale of strong beer seems a bit silly when spirits at 40% ABV and up are still generally available.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

I've used The Drink Shop before now but they don't sell any barley wine. The only one that I've found is this one
https://www.drinksupermarket.com/sir-ke ... wine-330ml

I don't know what it's like because I don't touch anything above 4.8% ABV with a barge pole. As a life long rugby player I've always gone for quantity above quality and usually drink beers below 4% ABV - 3.6 or 3.8 are my usual beer strengths.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

kenneal - lagger wrote:I've used The Drink Shop before now but they don't sell any barley wine. The only one that I've found is this one
https://www.drinksupermarket.com/sir-ke ... wine-330ml

I don't know what it's like because I don't touch anything above 4.8% ABV with a barge pole. As a life long rugby player I've always gone for quantity above quality and usually drink beers below 4% ABV - 3.6 or 3.8 are my usual beer strengths.
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately they only have a few bottles in stock, and I wanted to order at least 24 bottles.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
adam2
Site Admin

Re: DODGY TAX AVOIDERS message???

Post by adam2 »

I am pleased to report that a major supermarket with a home delivery service are now offering gold label barley wine, without any recourse to those whom we avoid mentioning.
Starts to feel like Christmas now :)
adam2
Site Admin

Re: DODGY TAX AVOIDERS message???

Post by adam2 »

I have found a new form of dodgy behaviour.
3 recent deliveries from different small ebay sellers have arrived packed such that they appear to been sold by the dodgy tax avoiders.
One was a bulk package of chocolate bars, arrived in a brown paper bag branded "amerzon"
Another was a bulk pack of barbecue charcoal, the carton bore a red label "next day delivery from amerzon prime" It was not delivered next day and neither was this promised.
The third was a pack of batteries, also in amerzon packaging.

I presume that the dodgy tax avoiders supply packaging materials at a reduced price to those who sell via them, and that sellers then use this packaging for goods sold via ebay.