Humanure - Should we? Could we? Would we?

How will oil depletion affect the way we live? What will the economic impact be? How will agriculture change? Will we thrive or merely survive?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

goslow

Post by goslow »

Inspiring LongJohn! I didn't know rats ate poo though. I am at the wee collecting stage, the family find that disgusting enough. I was motivated by saving water (crime to flush potable water 30 litres a day for 2 litres of pee) and to activate my compost a bit more with this new "additive". Perhaps one day I will give the poo collecting a try, but wonder, has anyone ever had any trouble with local authorities when doing this kind of thing?
Keela

Post by Keela »

goslow wrote: Perhaps one day I will give the poo collecting a try, but wonder, has anyone ever had any trouble with local authorities when doing this kind of thing?
I'm not planning on telling them...
Adam1

Post by Adam1 »

goslow wrote:Inspiring LongJohn!
I'd second that. Thanks.
fifthcolumn

Post by fifthcolumn »

Sally wrote: :) It's amazing what it's possible to feel all inspired and enthusiastic about isn't it? :lol:
Yes it is. As much as a free market capitalist pig as I am I find it very soothing that we don't need to either manufacture nor BUY our fertiliser post peak.

It would be delightful to get a mass-consciousness shift towards home veggie gardening along with recycling pee and poo and home based power. That would make things a hell of a lot more resilient than they are now and certainly go a long way towards staving off any kind of die-off we might otherwise be faced with.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

This reminds me of the 'WW2' effort people talk about being required in order to deal with energy depletion - 'night soil' they called it.

LongJohn's story is an inspiration. We already pee on the compost/collect and pour and have been talking about a composting loo.

Could you use grass clippings as a 'ballast'?

Keep us posted, LJ.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

Hi LongJohn, your arrangement sounds very like what my dad-in-law and co. have at their Dacha. And, I can corroborate(sp?) your result: no flies, no pong, no worries!

It seems to be the fashion now for people who fell trees to chip the wood and leave it in situ (e.g. by the roadside): quite a handy potential source of Carbon for your mix!
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
Keela

Post by Keela »

:twisted: :twisted:
I mentioned this on the growveg forum. Don't think anyone there will be trying it! :lol: :lol:

Me? Well progress is slow - so many other things to tackle right now, including all the marking that built up after I was off work with that ole flu bug....

But the plan is still there - and I have bought the loo seat ready for use! :D
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

Sally wrote: But the plan is still there - and I have bought the loo seat ready for use! :D
"Have loo-seat, will, erm, ...??" :D :D :D
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
emordnilap

Re: Humanure - Should we? Could we? Would we?

Post by emordnilap »

Humanure - Should we? Could we? Would we?
We do. There's nothing simpler. Started over the last weekend, bucket, loo seat, basic plywood frame to support, sawdust. No flushing of loos for days now, saving water and leccy, saving the septic tank. In fact, nothing's going to the septic tank now.

A few pallets for the triple-bay heap, couple of bales of straw plus grass clippings. There's something relaxing about the whole set-up.

Wonder how the neighbours will react.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
Keela

Post by Keela »

Oh! Oh! Oh! You've beaten me to it! :evil:

I'll get there - honest! Just, well, having been off work with 'flu for 3 weeks, then things have been mad here and at home catching up with what I didn't do then.... and the polytunnel to lick into shape.... (do you hear all the excuses... :oops: ).... and really I just haven't had the time or energy.

Like I said, I HAVE the loo seat ready to go. I also have the buckets. No sawdust yet. And the position of the pile has not yet been agreed..... :roll:

Have you been to the Humanure Forum yet? It's here

Main site with downloadable instructions for the humure toilet etc. is here

Perhaps next weekend?
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

There's a smell in the bathroom now which couldn't ever be described as unpleasant - just not what you expect in such a place; I was at first suspicious but it's just the sawdust.

The advice is to completely cover the doings so in fact you tend to get through quite a bit of sawdust.

Just to fill you in on the physical construction of the loo, it's literally four walls just less than the height of the bucket and a top that is hinged onto the back edge of this box. Cut a hole for the bucket to protrude slightly. Position the loo seat over it, drill a couple of holes for the standard seat fixings and Robert's a parent's sibling.

Real easy carpentry but if you're still unsure, just use cheap plywood so it doesn't matter if you make a mistake.

Once your design is perfect, make the final thing and paint it, varnish it, whatever.
goslow

Post by goslow »

didn't they use wood ash in the middle ages to cover up the doo-doos? i saw an ash midden at a museum.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

goslow wrote:didn't they use wood ash in the middle ages to cover up the doo-doos? i saw an ash midden at a museum.
Better to put wood ash directly in the ground as it's not really compostible.
Adam York

Sewage solutions

Post by Adam York »

Big issue,generally ducked at Soil Association and almost up there with ignorance of Haber-Bosch Process(making nitrate fertiliser with loads of energy).Try;
http://www.sas.org.uk/papers/2005/pdf05 ... ludge1.pdf
for sensible outline of work in recent years
Keela

Post by Keela »

Hi Adam,
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the link, I took a quick skim through that meaty pdf. Lots of useful stuff there.

It is something that needs addressed.

Sally