Are we on the brink of an electric car revolution?

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

clv101
Site Admin

Re: Are we on the brink of an electric car revolution?

Post by clv101 »

China are utterly dominant in the global EV market - check the motivation of anyone downplaying the role of EVs in the future.

Amazing data here: https://x.com/EdConwaySky/status/1790433248348192996
Ralphw2

Post by Ralphw2 »

EU to raise import teriffs on Chinese made EVs from 10% up to a max of 48% depending on the brand, starting in July. Even chinese made Teslas will be affected. Not clear if UK will also impose these tariffs, they will have a very large impact on the demand for EVs, especially at the budget end of the market where the Chinese companies excel.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Yes - Tesla's in a bad way and now the tarif wars start.
IRA killed globalisation - and started the race to "De-risking" from Chinese supply and protectionism.
(Gosh - I sound like a Neo-lib talking like that - I'm Social Liberal I swear!)
The weird and slightly disappointing thing about IRA?
It's not enough to get the USA producing their own solar cells. Solar panels - yes - but not the silicon cells from the ground up.
Now that would be energy independence - which was kind of the whole point of the thing to me?
http://eclipsenow.wordpress.com
Just another burnt out peak oil activist...
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

My ambition is for a Citroen Ami once we get a big enough solar array. Under £10k!!

Engineering and environment wise, the way forward must be for smaller slower lighter cars but our wonderful economists and politicians won't push for anything that hinders growth. So bigger and faster and heavier it will be until the whole system crashes!
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Default0ptions

Post by Default0ptions »

kenneal - lagger wrote: 21 Jun 2024, 17:47 My ambition is for a Citroen Ami once we get a big enough solar array. Under £10k!!

Engineering and environment wise, the way forward must be for smaller slower lighter cars but our wonderful economists and politicians won't push for anything that hinders growth. So bigger and faster and heavier it will be until the whole system crashes!
Agreed. But what is this ‘growth’ you speak of?
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

I hear that China is putting retaliatory sanctions on EU pork imports for the EV tariff increase.

At the moment you can get all the Chinese EVs you want in Australia. I will avoid them if possible due to cybersecurity issues but BYD are putting out a new pickup truck next year that maybe work a look. Let's hope the Japanese can keep up.
G'Day cobber!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Default0ptions wrote: 21 Jun 2024, 21:42 Agreed. But what is this ‘growth’ you speak of?
I speak of every mainstream economist's wet dream of perpetual economic growth in our finite environment.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Default0ptions

Post by Default0ptions »

:-)

This will never go mainstream until it’s far too late.

I think you’re probably pretty well prepared.

It never hurts to grow more food!
Potemkin Villager

Post by Potemkin Villager »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/ar ... -suv-in-us

Win some lose some!

" Ford has written off $1.9bn as it cancelled plans for an all-electric large SUV in the US, opting to produce a hybrid version instead in the latest sign of western carmakers struggling to make profitable electric cars.

The US carmaker said on Wednesday that it would not be able to reach a profit on the electric SUV within a year, its measure of whether a new car is viable, citing the stiff competition from Chinese manufacturers."
Overconfidence, not just expert overconfidence but general overconfidence,
is one of the most common illusions we experience. Stan Robinson
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

US car companies lost market share to Japan first, then a few decades later to Korea (and to a lesser extent Malaysia), now a few decades on the Chinese are looking to repeat the trick. The US companies need to ask themselves why they keep making rubbish cars.
Ralphw2

Post by Ralphw2 »

UK EV sales in August were a record 23% of the market. Too many models chasing the market led to heavy discounting to or below petrol car prices, as manufacturers were desperate to meet the mandated 22% of the market share to avoid government penalties on the way to 100% in 2030/5.