Are we on the brink of an electric car revolution?

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Default0ptions

Re: Are we on the brink of an electric car revolution?

Post by Default0ptions »

I think the only electric car revolution that we’re on the brink of is realising that electric cars are not the solution.

We’re looking at a future with MUCH LESS ENERGY available.

The future that we’re walking into is the future that we’ll have to walk into; and walk around in; because there won’t be any cars that most of us can afford to buy and maintain and run.

And who will pay for the upkeep of the roads for those few to run their cars on?
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

I fully agree that less use is more, Eclipse. But governments and their economists are still wedded to constant infinite growth in our finite environment so we have to have more, bigger, heavier and faster cars to fuel it. Most economists should be taken out and shot!! (Can't say that on FaceBook or Quora as it is "hate speech")
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Default0ptions wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 22:06 ..................
And who will pay for the upkeep of the roads for those few to run their cars on?
Anyone but those driving the big cars!!
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

I think it is trucks that do the most damage to roads not cars. I recall the damage on the A14 near Cambridge when I lived there.

Damage to roads goes up by the fifth power of axle weight I believe.

The latest anti-EV talking points are that pollution from EV tyres is worse than from ICE vehicles due to the extra weight and the extra dust emissions from brake pads. Maybe a lot more freight needs to go by rail - a kind of anti-Beeching development from the people in charge. I saw a good idea where freight wagons each have motors and 100kWh battery packs on them.
G'Day cobber!
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

I remember the HGV ruts on the A14 too. My little Nissan Micra would swerve around as it drifted from one rut to the other if you weren't careful :shock: You can still see the wear lines in the road surface today.

Much discussion still going on over the new EastWest rail link from Cambridge to Oxford, with NIMBYism on every inch of the line. My main complaint is that it is being built for diesel only, too expensive to electrify.

Tyre pollution is slightly higher from EVs than the equivalent sized ICE car, but brake dust is far less due to regenerative braking. Of course, all cars are too big and too fast for their actual function, moving usually one adult from A to B in reasonable time.

The EV market is apparently in serious decline in China at the moment, this is probably due to a general economic decline thanks to their construction industry going effectively bankrupt. The upshot is that lots of fire sale Chinese EVs are about to hit Europe, US and other markets in large numbers . They already seriously undercut European EVs on price, and this will probably result in a trade war.
Default0ptions

Post by Default0ptions »

“The EV market is apparently in serious decline in China at the moment, this is probably due to a general economic decline thanks to their construction industry going effectively bankrupt. The upshot is that lots of fire sale Chinese EVs are about to hit Europe, US and other markets in large numbers .”

Fantastic! A whole load of unrecyclable Chinese cars is just what we need.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Maybe the UK, and indeed the wider EU, should be like the US and put a 100% tariff on Chinese EVs. That's why there are barely any Chinese EVs on sale in the US. I drove a rental car that was a MG XS but was petrol and not the electric version and it was pretty rough and plasticy. I hear the upscale XPengs are quite good though.

Battery packs can be recycled on Nissan Leafs pretty well to make house battery packs so maybe Chinese EVs can also be recycled in a similar manner.
G'Day cobber!
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

PS_RalphW wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 18:14 Tyre pollution is slightly higher from EVs than the equivalent sized ICE car, but brake dust is far less due to regenerative braking. Of course, all cars are too big and too fast for their actual function, moving usually one adult from A to B in reasonable time.
Agreed. My potential-son-in-law is studying Town Planning as he's a New Urbanist, and my nephew watches the "Not just bikes" youtube channel all about New Urbanism and public transport. Whenever I rave about EV's as the next step towards getting off oil - they repeat "The best EV doesn't even need batteries, as it's a Metro!"
The EV market is apparently in serious decline in China at the moment, this is probably due to a general economic decline thanks to their construction industry going effectively bankrupt. The upshot is that lots of fire sale Chinese EVs are about to hit Europe, US and other markets in large numbers . They already seriously undercut European EVs on price, and this will probably result in a trade war.
The "Seagull" is being renamed the Dolphin Mini - and should be on sale here for about $30k to $31k.
I never buy a car over say $22k - so I have to remind myself that an EV is a different beast as there is no servicing of an ICE over the life of the vehicle, and no oil. I get to work by public transport, and my wife works from home where our car could charge from our 47 solar panels.

Basically, one day I'll be able to afford the Dolphin Mini as it's like paying for all my servicing and fuel up front!

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/d ... ni-144611/
http://eclipsenow.wordpress.com
Just another burnt out peak oil activist...
Ralphw2

Post by Ralphw2 »

You can pre-order the Dacia Spring for October delivery (maybe). It is a small light weight limited range Chinese EV costing £15,000. This is definately a gap in the market in Europe at that price. I expect a lot more chinese models in that price bracket soon. The main drag on the market is the lack of affordable charging infrastructure for people who can't charge at home. They won't spend even 15k on a car if it costs them more to run than a cheap ice car and requires hours at the charging station each week.

Of course I am talking UK market. Australia has more potential but worse political headwinds.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Default0ptions wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 20:43 Fantastic! A whole load of unrecyclable Chinese cars is just what we need.
Who said anything about unrecycled? "Black Mass" is the new gold. Google it.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Eclipse wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 08:48
Default0ptions wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 20:43 Fantastic! A whole load of unrecyclable Chinese cars is just what we need.
I suggest that you search "Black Mass EV" otherwise you get an entirely different thing.
Australia is a place that would benefit greatly from a comprehensive recycling industry.
G'Day cobber!
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

BritDownUnder wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 19:36
Eclipse wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 08:48
I suggest that you search "Black Mass EV" otherwise you get an entirely different thing.
Australia is a place that would benefit greatly from a comprehensive recycling industry.
Now I'm scared to search just "Black Mass" - knowing the rules of the internet and all... :P :shock:
Ralphw2

Post by Ralphw2 »

Tesla to lay off 10% of its global workforce.

This will be partly the crash in demand for all cars in China, and partly supply problems in Europe, and partly increased competition in the market, and partly their cybertruck being a ludicrous design.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Yes - no doubt there will be hiccups as the Energy Transition rolls out.
Ralphw2

Post by Ralphw2 »

The US is imposing a 100% tariff on imported Chinese EVs. I expect China to retaliate. I wonder if Europe or UK will do similarly.