Entertaining attempts to cross a ford in vehicles.

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

adam2
Site Admin

Entertaining attempts to cross a ford in vehicles.

Post by adam2 »

Various failed attempts to cross a ford that is deeper due to heavy rain.
Many drivers of SUVs seem to believe that 4 wheel drive renders the vehicle amphibioushttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1HHFXFN788

There have been a number of similar incidents near here.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
BritDownUnder

Re: Entertaining attempts to cross a ford in vehicles.

Post by BritDownUnder »

Very close to where I grew up I went on many trips to Rufford Park in my younger days.

There are a surprising number of Fords in Nottinghamshire usually on river systems in or close to villages and near the stream source where the flow can be somewhat erratic.

Much more fun going through them on a push bike and has the advantage of not having an engine to stall although the road (if you call it that) surface in the Ford is invariably very rough.
G'Day cobber!
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

BritDownUnder wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 02:40 Much more fun going through them on a push bike and has the advantage of not having an engine to stall although the road (if you call it that) surface in the Ford is invariably very rough.
The road outside our house flooded one year over a length of about 700 metres, reaching over the top of my wellies. I still cycled to work though. It was fun. And peaceful as there was no traffic. :D
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

I have been through a flood in a horse drawn wagon. The horse was rather nervous at first but soon got used to the idea.
The cold water soon reduces the body temperature of the horse, which should be covered with a rug afterwards, or allowed to trot a bit faster to warm up.
As Ukrainian children have found, cows can be ridden but not through more a few inches of water.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"