Is BBC News melting down?

Discussion of books relating to oil, sustainability and everything else talked about here.

Moderator: Peak Moderation

automaticearth2

Is BBC News melting down?

Post by automaticearth2 »

I turned over to BBC2 this morning, and was met with a live broadcast for Radio 5 Live, which was just a phone in segment. I changed over to the actual BBC News channel, and the same was on there until 12.00, when the news appeared to return.

Also, it seems that we've been getting more looped stories instead of an updated news feed. I guess this is due to presenters being sent redundancy letters late last week? What does everyone else think? I know it's not exactly Powerswitch-related, but I just thought the whole thing has been interesting.
Potemkin Villager

Re: Is BBC News melting down?

Post by Potemkin Villager »

I think the supine, brown nosing, black leather uniform fetishiseing, S+M upper echelons of the beeb have a dream of replacing potentially unsound presenters and hacks, who may be tempted to go off message, with a range of user friendly and totally obedient Max Headroom style android news readers and guaranteed 100% on message, Windows based, news aggregators. If George Orwell were alive today.
Overconfidence, not just expert overconfidence but general overconfidence,
is one of the most common illusions we experience. Stan Robinson
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Indeed, but it's a risky game though as more and more people will just abandon BBC as a news source entity. I for one, consume virtually no BBC News broadcast content.
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

BBC news has been merged with BBC world service. It is not as good.
"We fail to mandate economic sanity because our brains are addled by....compassion." (Garrett Hardin)
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I tried to watch the BBC news channel a few days ago and was treated to coverage of Gwynneth Paltrows court appearance instead. What a joke, but not a recent trend, it wasn't long ago that UK news was replaced with Trump blowing his nose or walking down some stairs.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

clv101 wrote: 18 Apr 2023, 21:02 Indeed, but it's a risky game though as more and more people will just abandon BBC as a news source entity. I for one, consume virtually no BBC News broadcast content.
That said, I do often catch 'Witness History' on the World Service every day, it's pretty good.