Council House petition

Got campaigning suggestions? People to contact, places to advertise? Methods to use? How have people responded to your campaigning? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Peak Moderation

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Council House petition

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Can we all support our Tess and sign this petition for 100,000 council houses to be built every year for the next ten years.

Mind you, this number is only necessary to support the number of migrants we have bought in to bolster our economy and way of life in the last sixty five years and the 360,000 people per year that the government projects for the next ten years at least.

We need to build a lot of homes to get the house price back to manageable levels so I have signed the petition but I can't see why we should rob the third world of its best and brightest just to keep us in the manner to which we have become accustomed. Colonialism anyone?
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
BritDownUnder

Re: Council House petition

Post by BritDownUnder »

Building more council houses for 'general' consumption is just too broad a brush and will get exploited by persons they were not intended for and encourage morally hazardous behaviour such as Channel crossings or teenage pregnancies. You need to have a good think about who you want to occupy these new houses.

Much better to build houses for specific employment groups such as police, hospital workers, train/bus drivers and even council employees. I don't see why a new hospital could not include an accommodation block consisting of various studio, one bedroom and multi bedroom apartments. The accommodation could be part of the job package. Who knows they might even be built to good insulation standards but that might be expecting too much.

If you do insist on building new council houses for all comers then where you build them might be the next thing to think about. Putting them all in London would be a good idea from a housing availability point of view but may encourage further immigration and profligacy. Putting them in the regions may help to alleviate housing shortages in small towns and may even encourage migration to these places and business investment.

The best way of ensuring that low wage earners get these houses is to set a series of eligibility qualification criteria such as...
- been married or relationship for a certain length of time
- been a wage earner or tax payer for a minimum period of time
- lack of criminal convictions
- been resident in local area or even the UK for a minimum period of time

I recall when I was growing up a farmer in the next village converted a barn into what was intended to be a low rental place for a local worker. A local girl who got pregnant immediately moved in and for all I know is probably still there.

If the UK as a nation insists on going back to mass public housing then you might look at the generally positive Singapore experience with their HDB system of housing as an example where these things will lead.

I will NOT be signing this petition.
G'Day cobber!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Re: Council House petition

Post by kenneal - lagger »

BritDownUnder wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 00:10 ...........................

I will NOT be signing this petition.
The request was nearly four years ago!!
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez