Do we need an AI corner?

Post your ideas to improve the forums here

Moderators: Peak Moderation, Site Administrators

Vortex2

Re: Do we need an AI corner?

Post by Vortex2 »

If I was starting my IT career now, this is definitely what I'd be most wanting to work on - machine learning algorithms.
Thousands of others have had the same idea.

Universities have been spitting out loads of AI qualified people.

Some are even quite good.

However, places like Deep Mind hire only double Ph.Ds and the like, so many qualified people (even the 1st Class Honours) are flipping burgers and/or doing the endless menial work associated with current AI models.
RevdTess

Post by RevdTess »

Vortex2 wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 16:46 However, places like Deep Mind hire only double Ph.Ds and the like, so many qualified people (even the 1st Class Honours) are flipping burgers and/or doing the endless menial work associated with current AI models.
I still think you'll end up with the same sort of division that we used to have between OS/kernel developers and application programmers. The PhDs will do the hardcore stuff that no one else can get their head around, and everyone else will use their work as a black box that they don't need to care how it works. There are many who would have considered what I did during my software career as 'endless menial work' because I was dragging and dropping buttons and controls onto a windows form and connecting mouse clicks and key presses to display information pulled from databases. By the time I left the industry, there were applications that could create such database applications from scratch and all I needed to do was tell it what fields to put in the database and how they were related to each other. All the controls and information displays and database updates were done automatically. That's why I got into market analysis and trading, because using the software became more interesting to me than building it. But now market analysis and trading are done by machine learning algorithms as well, so I've gone into a church role that lets me work with people rather than be a servant of the AI...
Potemkin Villager

Post by Potemkin Villager »

RevdTess wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 15:29 When I can just say "Design a machine that will generate electricity using fusion processes and transfer more energy to the electrical grid than is used to run the machine" and it just goes away and invents everything it needs to solve the problem then we will have just become god. Or created god.
Would you characterise that as utopian or dystopian?
Overconfidence, not just expert overconfidence but general overconfidence,
is one of the most common illusions we experience. Stan Robinson
RevdTess

Post by RevdTess »

Potemkin Villager wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 17:44
Would you characterise that as utopian or dystopian?
I don't know but I'm feeling a hard scifi novel plot coming on...
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

so I've gone into a church role that lets me work with people
Having climbed the greasy pole, in my case I retrained to go into a medical role.
Another migration from working with tech to working with people.
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

FWIW openAI are blocking the various tricks you could use to bypass its censorship etc.
It's also getting very overloaded.
RevdTess

Post by RevdTess »

Vortex2 wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 20:32 FWIW openAI are blocking the various tricks you could use to bypass its censorship etc.
I haven't even got access to it once yet. Always says it's too busy. Maybe the AI just doesn't like me.
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

RevdTess wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 20:46
Vortex2 wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 20:32 FWIW openAI are blocking the various tricks you could use to bypass its censorship etc.
I haven't even got access to it once yet. Always says it's too busy. Maybe the AI just doesn't like me.
Try mornings .. before the US is awake.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

One for the AI corner, this is impressive:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Kd04quryVPI ... IECMiOmarE
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

Imagine militarized versions plunging into trenches in Ukraine at night with their sharp metal claws ready ..

https://labs.openai.com/sc/PZh5HXHOPvB7618FuBj1k2ET
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

OpenAI are expecting the next version of their AI, version GPT-4, to launch early next year. It's going to be much more powerful, rumoured to have 500 times the parameters of the current GPT-3.