Extinction Rebellion, ongoing disscussion.

For threads primarily discussing Climate Change (particularly in relation to Peak Oil)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Potemkin Villager

Re: Extinction Rebellion, ongoing disscussion.

Post by Potemkin Villager »

I wonder what they have planned for COP26, it would certainly
liven up things a bit. I am sure their Glasgow lodge has many seasoned
campaigners.
Overconfidence, not just expert overconfidence but general overconfidence,
is one of the most common illusions we experience. Stan Robinson
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Climate change activists have boarded and stopped a train that was taking wood chips to Drax power station. I agree with the views expressed about imported wood chips not being green or renewable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-59267244

Not certain if this is extinction rebellion, or some related group.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
oobers

Post by oobers »

If they want to greenwash more effectively, they should change the name. Drax sounds like the lair of an evil genius.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

oobers wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 18:15 I....... Drax sounds like the lair of an evil genius.
Or the name of a rich Tory???
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

We do not hear much about extinction rebellion these days.
Perhaps they see no need to campaign against fossil fuel use, and to disrupt supplies thereof as putin is doing that very effectively for them !
And arguably no need to protest against air travel and disrupt airports, as the air transport industry seem to be doing that for themselves.

And the RMT are doing their best to disrupt train travel, which XR SHOULD BE SUPPORTING , but often seem opposed to.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

In France, golf courses are exempt from restrictions on water use.
Climate change activists who oppose this policy have filled in the holes with cement.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62532840
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Recently the Extinction Rebels glued themselves to a Picasso painting in Melbourne. The painting was fortunately covered in some kind of plastic coating which presumably saved the gallery a bit of money as the painting was on loan from overseas.
G'Day cobber!
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Latest foolishness here. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63203547

Whilst I have considerable sympathy with the views of extinction rebellion, and related groups, I can not support delaying the work of the emergency services.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

UNCONFIRMED REPORTS suggest that a protestor trespassed on the tracks near London Victoria station and were killed by a train.

If the reports are true then this was a very silly protest. I have sympathy with disruption of road traffic or airlines, but use of railways should be encouraged and not deterred by disruption.

Discussed in more detail on a railway forum. http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffe ... #msg326846

EDITED TO ADD that later reports state that a person was electrocuted, presumably by the live rail, and NOT hit by a train as was earlier stated.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

I did not realise the extent of the silliness of these people particular relating to protests involving art. The Daily Mail (my favourite news outlet) has a good article on examples of this type of protest around Europe. One person in Holland glued his head to the 'Girl with the Pearl Earring' and then a member of the public poured a can of tomatoes down the back of his jacket while he was stuck there which was quite a funny counter to this protest.

Interestingly a state in Australia recently banned a method of killing rodents in which a highly adhesive pad is placed where rodents tread causing them to get stuck there and die a most horrible death by starvation, thirst or heat exhaustion.

I should add that I agree with the aim of these protesters. They simply need to direct their energies into actually helping to move away from oil rather than indulging in performance art.
G'Day cobber!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

BritDownUnder wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 22:12 ....................
Interestingly a state in Australia recently banned a method of killing rodents in which a highly adhesive pad is placed where rodents tread causing them to get stuck there and die a most horrible death by starvation, thirst or heat exhaustion.
We use these traps in doors away from where any cat or dog could access them but check them on an almost daily basis as you should do. We dispatch anything caught with an air rifle to the head (using a pellet I might add!).

I am definitely not hinting the the police should use similar tactics on XR protesters.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Caught one and dispatched it last night. Rat that was!!
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

kenneal - lagger wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 15:50 I am definitely not hinting the the police should use similar tactics on XR protesters.
I don't either but it would be fun to keep a people who have stuck themselves to a wall there for a few hours so they can get a good stiff neck.
G'Day cobber!
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

There was something on Australian TV about a climate change protest interrupting a snooker match by pouring some kind of dust on the green baize.
G'Day cobber!
automaticearth2

Post by automaticearth2 »

BritDownUnder wrote: 21 Apr 2023, 14:16 There was something on Australian TV about a climate change protest interrupting a snooker match by pouring some kind of dust on the green baize.
Yes it was Just Stop Oil behind the protest at the snooker. Apparently snooker is an extremally carbon intensive sport (I guess if the participants are jetting in from all over the place, it might be) :)

This coming Sunday the London Marathon being staged, XR and JSO are also going to be protesting. I guess marathon running is also carbon intensive, and Formula 1 isn't.... :P