Latest air travel disruption.

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

adam2
Site Admin

Latest air travel disruption.

Post by adam2 »

As has been widely reported, air lines have cancelled many flights for want of crew.
Airports also suffering from lack of staff resulting in delay and disruption.

Most of this looks to me like normal incompetency, selling flights that they did not have the ability to deliver.

I do however wonder if some of the airport disruption is in fact deliberate sabotage by extinction rebellion or others opposed to air travel.
The repeated problems in luggage handling look to me like deliberate action.
"Dropping a spanner into the works" possibly quite literally in the case of conveyor systems.
Applying incorrect bar-codes to luggage so that it is mis routed.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
clv101
Site Admin

Re: Latest air travel disruption.

Post by clv101 »

Hmmm, I have my doubts. But I guess it's possible.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

What got me thinking was remarks by some XR supporters locally, "this is only a beginning" Implying that they are behind at least some of the problems.

Further and very illegal action was expected. Not violent but hugely disruptive and could cause vast disruption. Not certain about posting details on a public forum.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

adam2 wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 13:31 What got me thinking was remarks by some XR supporters locally, "this is only a beginning" Implying that they are behind at least some of the problems.

Further and very illegal action was expected. Not violent but hugely disruptive and could cause vast disruption. Not certain about posting details on a public forum.
You're not saying that XR have infiltrated the unions are you? ;-) I would have thought that XR should be encouraging the use of railways rather than putting people off using them.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

kenneal - lagger wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 14:32
adam2 wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 13:31 What got me thinking was remarks by some XR supporters locally, "this is only a beginning" Implying that they are behind at least some of the problems.

You're not saying that XR have infiltrated the unions are you? ;-) I would have thought that XR should be encouraging the use of railways rather than putting people off using them.
No, nothing to do with the railways and the current RMT dispute.
It was suggested that worse airport disruption was expected, the means of achieving this are illegal and better not posted on a public forum.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

This latest disruption, does to me look like deliberate sabotage rather than normal incompetence.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... e-62058185

Several victims have vowed "never again" which may be the intent.
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

All US commercial flights suspended due to faa computer glitch. That is a lot of aircraft. I guess the ones in the air will be allowed to continue to destination
Mark

Post by Mark »

adam2 wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 19:31 This latest disruption, does to me look like deliberate sabotage rather than normal incompetence.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... e-62058185

Several victims have vowed "never again" which may be the intent.
Severely doubt it...
Manchester Airport has been running really badly since the end of COVID....
A lot of the workers were laid off or left and they've been struggling to recruit replacements....
Same story with lots of other sectors..., there's a general shortage of labour at the mo....

Shortfall of 330,000 workers in UK due to Brexit, say thinktanks
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... thinktanks

Would an XR or Just Stop Oil activist really want/get a job at an airport....?
Even if they tried, suspect that security checks would weed them out....
Anyway, they're too busy throwing jam at artworks...
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

Flew in from Lanzarote to Manchester yesterday.
Straight to an E-gate, pop the passport in the machine, look into the mirror, and the gates slide open.
Landed at 4.35 and was out of the airport and picking up the car from stop and drop within 10 mins.
It all seemed pretty normal. Maybe it was a good day.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Mark wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 18:35
Would an XR or Just Stop Oil activist really want/get a job at an airport....?
Even if they tried, suspect that security checks would weed them out....
Anyway, they're too busy throwing jam at artworks...
I doubt that most XR or related activists would want a job at an airport simply as an end in itself, something a bit greener would no doubt be preferred.
If however the aim was not to earn a living, but to carry out non dangerous sabotage, then I suspect that some would seek such work.

It should be easy enough to gain such employment. Due to the shortage of staff, vetting and security checks are reportedly very hit and miss.
I am ware of two peaceful ways to cause total chaos in an airport.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Heathrow security to strike for a fair bit of Summer. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65831998
might put a few people of flying.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Good job too from a climate perspective!
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Latest major disruption to UK air transport. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66637817
Not clear yet if this is an attack, or normal incompetence.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Likely normal incompetence, running the system at its limits, busy bank holiday traffic, technical staffing might be sub-par due to holidays.... Or it could be a Russian cyber attack (unlikely).
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Although the technical issue is reported as being resolved, significant disruption continues and is expected to persist for "some days"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66644343