Regarding US migrant detentions

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

Snail wrote:Yes, very strange, very infantile, and very annoying. And lots of other very things.

It's an extension of increasing political correctness.

I suppose, to look at the bright side, this 'movement' is so insubstantial and fluff-like that it might eventually begin to reverse.

Also, I've been mulling this thought over in my head for a couple of years. That it's partly linked to the rise and dominance of women (which I'm now increasingly seeing as a negative/chaotic thing).
In the States? You're joking, right? Not only have women never actually reached a state of 'dominance' but, there in particular, things are beginning to go backwards.
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
Mr. Fox

Post by Mr. Fox »

Cheers for posting that, LJ... I should have gone along, it sounds like I could have made a killing selling Che Guevara T-shirts. ;)

@snail: I'm not sure you can blame 'the rise and dominance of women' for this sort of display of unfocussed cheap (virtue) signalling - I know plenty of women who have/do engaged in the sort of ballsy direct action that puts most of their male (Che-chic wearing or not) comrades to shame.

Thinking about it, the only reason these wankers could even jump on a coach to London to wave their witty placards unhindered is down to one of them. 8)
Snail

Post by Snail »

Fair enough. It's a train of thought I can never firmly decide anything upon and know, in any case, that it offers little of value to myself.
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

RenewableCandy wrote:
Snail wrote:Yes, very strange, very infantile, and very annoying. And lots of other very things.

It's an extension of increasing political correctness.

I suppose, to look at the bright side, this 'movement' is so insubstantial and fluff-like that it might eventually begin to reverse.

Also, I've been mulling this thought over in my head for a couple of years. That it's partly linked to the rise and dominance of women (which I'm now increasingly seeing as a negative/chaotic thing).
In the States? You're joking, right? Not only have women never actually reached a state of 'dominance' but, there in particular, things are beginning to go backwards.
Sorry but can't agree with you there RC. A woman today in America can get a man fired by just saying he patted her butt true or not. That they haven't organized and voted in a block taking control is entirely their choice.
raspberry-blower

Post by raspberry-blower »

Well, according to Michelle Obama, it was WOMEN that were "wrong thinking" that caused Hillary Clinton's defeat in 2016. Nothing to do with what she actually represents then? We'll ignore the fact that the grassroots of the Democratic Party preferred Bernie Sanders and that the Primaries were rigged in Hillary's favour?

Jimmy Dore et al take apart Michelle Obama's nonsense
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams.
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

raspberry-blower wrote:Well, according to Michelle Obama, it was WOMEN that were "wrong thinking" that caused Hillary Clinton's defeat in 2016. Nothing to do with what she actually represents then? We'll ignore the fact that the grassroots of the Democratic Party preferred Bernie Sanders and that the Primaries were rigged in Hillary's favour?

Jimmy Dore et al take apart Michelle Obama's nonsense
Wrong thinking or not 2016 was a case where the women of the USA failed to vote as a block. The conservative women naturally voted for Trump as did some Bernie supporters feeling Hillary had cheated their man while still others stayed home which in most cases helped Trump. Perhaps Michelle was referring to these stay at home none voters as the ones practicing "wrong thinking".
woodburner

Post by woodburner »

Elections are supposed to be individual votes, not blocks. It makes as much sense as the police advising motorists “to stagger their journey� . Ie, no sense at all.
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

woodburner wrote:Elections are supposed to be individual votes, not blocks. It makes as much sense as the police advising motorists “to stagger their journey� . Ie, no sense at all.
People "stagger"their journey all the time. Ie. go before or after rush hour.
It remains surprising that no female candidate has risen that can get a fair portion of the male voters along with a clear majority of women voters assuring an easy victory. Voter blocks are seldom perfect and usually have a corner chipped off hear and there. The USA female voter block is split down the middle and then each half is split at least once again.
2020 will be an interesting year.
woodburner

Post by woodburner »

That’s just normal distribution. To “stagger� journeys people would have to know when others are going to make their journeys. If they all “staggered� the same, ie early or late, it would make no difference. If there’s still a “rush� hour, the staggering didn’t work.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Encouraging voter blocks is encouraging tribalism. When things are going well, this is inconsequential. When they are going badly, it is dangerously explosive.
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

woodburner wrote:
That’s just normal distribution. To “stagger� journeys people would have to know when others are going to make their journeys. If they all “staggered� the same, ie early or late, it would make no difference. If there’s still a “rush� hour, the staggering didn’t work.
To find out when the roads are open only requires you to try it at that time. I have seen people snap their spouses head off if they caused them to be late getting into the free slot. Commuting every day builds up a body of data that trumps any app on a phone or government web site.
Little John

Post by Little John »

That's not the same as "staggering" a journey.