Guardian says that growth is bad for Global Warming

How will oil depletion affect the way we live? What will the economic impact be? How will agriculture change? Will we thrive or merely survive?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Guardian says that growth is bad for Global Warming

Post by kenneal - lagger »

The Guardian stirring things up again suggesting that continuous growth is not only not achievable but is undesirable.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
woodburner

Post by woodburner »

What a scurrilous suggestion. Next they will be suggesting global population will have to be addressed. (Mick Jagger please note).
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

Jason Hickel wrote:What would we do with 100% clean energy? Exactly what we are doing with fossil fuels: raze more forests, build more meat farms, expand industrial agriculture, produce more cement, and fill more landfill sites
Exactly. Quality is good but quantity ain't.

And of course what happens when the renewable energy runs out? :lol:
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
trevorpoole844

Re: Guardian says that growth is bad for Global Warming

Post by trevorpoole844 »

kenneal - lagger wrote:The Guardian stirring things up again suggesting that continuous growth is not only not achievable but is undesirable.
I agree in so many levels.
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

emordnilap wrote:
By definition how could a renewable energy source "run out"? 8)
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

vtsnowedin wrote:
emordnilap wrote:
By definition how could a renewable energy source "run out"? 8)
My we're in a serious mood today. :lol:

It's a quote from a far-right politician over here (UK, that is).
Last edited by emordnilap on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
woodburner

Post by woodburner »

Rather like the politician who, when told about the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, said it was a bloody silly law, wanted to know who passed it, and that it should be repealed.
johnhemming2

Post by johnhemming2 »

Who said that?
woodburner

Post by woodburner »

It was reported by one of the posters on this forum, I can't recall who.
johnhemming2

Post by johnhemming2 »

I would assume that is, therefore, not proven.
boisdevie

Post by boisdevie »

Ah yes, The Guardian. The home of virtue signalling and incredibly hypocrisy. Ferrari review anyone?
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... car-review
woodburner

Post by woodburner »

johnhemming2 wrote:I would assume that is, therefore, not proven.

You can assume what you like. I am confident in what I have stated. we are not all duplicitous truth benders on this forum. Sometimes I would stick up for you, other times you deserve everything you get, and I'm not surprised. Indeed I suspected you, of all people, would come back with a useless crap statement (as you have). If the poster who originally related the story sees this, then they will know who they are, and that is good enough for me.

Try this for one...............
"Were the second law to be repealed, random particles would collect and organize themselves instead of dissipating, which could affect such basic processes as combustion, digestion, evaporation, convection–that sort of thing," Columbia University superstring theorist Dr. Brian Greene said. "There wouldn't be much sunlight, either, because all stars, including our sun, would be collecting photons from surrounding space instead of emitting solar radiation. Oh, and the universe would begin to contract rather than expand, which could possibly turn back the flow of time itself, sending our cosmos spiraling inward toward a reverse Big Bang, a sort of 'Big Crunch,' if you will."

"In light of all this," Greene continued, "I would sincerely hope that our nation's legislators think long and hard before making any decisions to amend or repeal this law."

Despite such warnings, the grassroots movement to eliminate the second law of thermodynamics appears to be gathering strength.

"This is America," said Duane Collins, a Gatlinburg, TN, distillery operator and father of five. "And in this country, we have the God-given right to change laws we don't think are Christian. We are united in our demands that the second law of thermodynamics be repealed, and our voice will be heard no matter what. That's just a plain fact, and nothing anybody says can ever change it."
johnhemming2

Post by johnhemming2 »

A funny website. I would describe it a comedy which is a subset of fake news.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

woodburner wrote:Rather like the politician who, when told about the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, said it was a bloody silly law, wanted to know who passed it, and that it should be repealed.
The comments related to the "laws of physics" came from a discussion I had a number of years ago with several congressmen who said that we should pass a new 2nd law of thermodynamics.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/physics.asp
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

More likely to be Republicans than Democrats.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez