Government plan "national flagship"

What can we do to change the minds of decision makers and people in general to actually do something about preparing for the forthcoming economic/energy crises (the ones after this one!)?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

adam2
Site Admin

Government plan "national flagship"

Post by adam2 »

Sounds a great idea to me, I am in favour of promoting British interests, and a ship is almost certainly greener than air transport.

Could be perhaps be greener than is suggested by the images. I see no indication of either sails nor of PV modules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57293882
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Mark

Re: Government plan "national flagship"

Post by Mark »

I think it's a rotten way to spend £200m, although we all know the final bill will end up being much higher....
How about spending the money on properly compensating all those people with cladding problems post Grenfell... or, or, or, or.....

There are elements in this country who still haven't accepted that we no longer have an empire and the world has moved on...
The modern foreign CEO isn't going to be 'wowed' into signing a big new deal because of a G&T with Prince William on there...
Particularly as their yacht will be x3 bigger.... :D
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Seems rather pointless. Who is it going to impress? Ships are SLOW, what can it do that our embassies can't?

It's not that much money though, it's just another Royal Navy ship, a comfortable one. Compare £200m for a ship that'll last decades with £37bn for the useless track and trace programme.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I hear that BoJo is delaying his honeymoon to Carrie.....
Maybe he's planning a cruise ?
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Maybe it could be hydrogen powered or biogas powered. It does not appear to have suitable masts for sails but it could have one of those kite thingys to help propulsion (unfortunately developed in Germany).

From memory, the Royal Yacht Britannia was purportedly meant to be used as a hospital ship in times of war. So far I have not heard mention of the proposed national flagship being intended for such use.
It made the Australia morning TV news today.
G'Day cobber!
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Both biogas and hydrogen are bulky and dangerous to store.
Diesel fuel is the obvious choice, but preferably supplemented with sails or solar power in order to reduce fuel consumption.

If all suitable surfaces were covered with solar modules, then considerable power could be produced.

I would favour electric transmission for several reasons.
1) Flexible layout, engines can be placed where convenient.
2) Economical speed control, a variable pitch propeller and a variable speed electronic drive can move the ship at any reasonable speed.
3) Economical production of electric power for auxiliary purposes, if say 800 kw is required for propulsion and say 100 kw for on board services, then both are supplied from the same large high efficiency engine, rather than running a separate diesel generator. Several engines would be specified, with number in use controlled automatically.

4) Reliable operation. Low speed induction motors are very reliable. No reduction gearing needed. The variable speed motor drives can be duplicated.
Engines can be a weak point, but can be at least triplicated, 4 or more is common.

5) Waste heat is easy to capture for space heating, water heating, and for low pressure evaporators to produce fresh water.

Whilst most voyages will be fairly short, this ship should in my view be designed to stay at sea for at least a year WITHOUT RESUPPLY in case of emergency.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Mark

Post by Mark »

I admire your ambition adam, but doubt any of your ideas will match the reality....
This will just be a willy waving vanity project.