CCS for waste wood gasification plant

To what extent will biofuels be part of our energy future?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

BritDownUnder

Re: CCS for waste wood gasification plant

Post by BritDownUnder »

If I am not mistaken and I invite people to prove me wrong but plants never actually separate the oxygen from the carbon when they take in CO2 from the air. Instead they take in both water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2) note here that both molecules contain oxygen. Plants then split water into hydrogen and oxygen (Hill-Calvin reaction) and then give off the oxygen as a gas because they don't need it (or more correctly they don't need it all as they still respire using oxygen gas). They then add the hydrogen the CO2 to make carbohydrates containing carbon, hydrogen and oxygen which they store as food and use to make their structures some of which eventually become fossil fuels. Ha ha ha.

I am sure there is an industrial process that will directly separate carbon from oxygen but it will take a lot of energy input to do it.
G'Day cobber!
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

You're right.

https://www.gardenmyths.com/plants-prod ... n-dioxide/

I'm learning about plants today.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Catweazle wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:03 am You're right.

https://www.gardenmyths.com/plants-prod ... n-dioxide/

I'm learning about plants today.
I have to correct myself on this one. The oxygen produced by plants does indeed come from water. But it looks like plants then use some of the hydrogen (in chemical terms they are protons and not hydrogen gas) to bind with CO2 to produce sugars (CH2O ratio) and water. But the oxygen that is in this water is not from the oxygen in the water that the plants originally took in, instead it came from the CO2. So plants could then use this water that they emit as an input into photosynthesis to produce oxygen. So technically plants could make oxygen from CO2 but it requires two photosynthesis cycles.

In other words the oxygen produced by plants does indeed come from water but some of that water may have previously came from CO2.

This informative wikipedia artice tells it much better than I can.
G'Day cobber!