Vintage Stirling engine generator.

For technical discussions about electricity, electrical equipment with particular emphasis on safe and compliant installations.
Off topic remarks are liable to be moved elsewhere, or in extreme cases to be deleted.
adam2
Site Admin

Vintage Stirling engine generator.

Post by adam2 »

Here is an interesting video of a Phillips "bungalow set" a small paraffin fuelled Stirling engine generator.
Not particularly efficient, but had the merits of being simple and robust, and using a cheap and safe fuel. With good ventilation they could be run indoors, the fumes being no worse than a couple of Tilley lamps or a paraffin heater.

Note that the vaporised paraffin was burnt in an efficient blue flame burner, and not in the engine cylinder.

Output was 200 watts. Suggested uses included powering a small TV set, or a small radio transmitter or operating fluorescent lamps, or charging accumulators for lighting or radio purposes.

If compared to a small petrol engine these did not spoil radio or tv reception as they had no ignition system.

I recall these being use !https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IdXTippOQA
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
mr brightside

Re: Vintage Stirling engine generator.

Post by mr brightside »

That must be a bastard to do in the rain with cold hands.
Persistence of habitat, is the fundamental basis of persistence of a species.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Unlike a petrol engine, you can bring it indoors into the warm, and then warm your hands over the exhaust.
And if it IS used outdoors it should be reliable, no ignition system to get wet.
I not only recall these being used, 1960s, early 1970s, but have recently used a washing machine powered by a petrol engine. only a few years ago.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

I think if someone comes up with a good wood powered electricity generating Stirling engine that does not need too much tinkering and oiling then it will sell well. Or get copied by China very quickly.

I see quite a few on YouTube that look a bit too much high maintenance for my liking.
G'Day cobber!