Extinction Rebellion, ongoing disscussion.

For threads primarily discussing Climate Change (particularly in relation to Peak Oil)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

PS_RalphW

Re: Extinction Rebellion, ongoing disscussion.

Post by PS_RalphW »

XR, or at least some of them, will be helping to police the marathon against protesters. I guess they have decided to be a little selective in their choice of activity to disrupt. Just stop oil is the new bad boy on the block, looking for any public event they can disrupt. Last year it was about insulation. I remember the days of reclaim the streets, and didn’t a large group camp out in St Paul’s?

Does anyone remember swampy?

I may be getting old an cynical, but all these campaigns have one thing in common - they were worthy causes run by people who were dedicated to their cause and they all achieved very little in the end, crushed by the steamroller of corporatism and the right wing media.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Getting 'Big' Bill Werbeniuk and all of his beer over from Canada must have taken a lot of fossil fuels. Apparently he out-drunk a Scotsman and after the opponent passed out he went to the bar for a real drink. Snooker seems to have changed these days with a lot of Chinese and match fixing (the two things are totally unrelated of course - perish the thought).

I certainly remember Swampy. These people all seem to live the yurt life in Wales these days while the majority suffer in the crowded cities.
Perhaps the only thing the protestors get right is showing how the resources are being poorly allocated.

I have never partaken in these protests and the nearest I got to any was the May Day protests in the City one year. I recall seeing a Mercedes on fire in the street with the passenger compartment completely ablaze, flame pouring through the windows but the hazard warning lights were still functioning perfectly and informing the public of the hazard. German technology.
G'Day cobber!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

I went up to London yesterday with a group of local people for the Climate protest against Parliament. There were people all over the place outside various government departments. Many were there for the whole weekend. XR have promised low impact protesting and are going to "guard" the London Marathon. It will be interesting to see whether the media report on the protest as it is non controvertial.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Any large scale sporting event is likely to be carbon intensive, due to the large number of participants and spectators who fly or drive to the event.
Neither playing snooker nor marathon running emit much carbon in themselves, the problem is the amount of oil fueled transport to and from these events.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

I've often wondered about this. Yes, there a big carbon footprint of the thousands of people travelling to the event, but for everyone thousand that travel, there could be a million who sit at home and watch on TV *instead* or going somewhere, doing something etc that likely has higher carbon emissions than watching sport on TV.
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

clv101 wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 19:27 I've often wondered about this. Yes, there a big carbon footprint of the thousands of people travelling to the event, but for everyone thousand that travel, there could be a million who sit at home and watch on TV *instead* or going somewhere, doing something etc that likely has higher carbon emissions than watching sport on TV.
That is certainly true for the biggest sporting events, such as England world cup games.
"We fail to mandate economic sanity because our brains are addled by....compassion." (Garrett Hardin)