Transition exposed!

For general discussion about Transition Towns, Cities, Countries etc.

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Vortex

Transition exposed!

Post by Vortex »

"all over the world, groups of people with graduate degrees, affluence, decades of work experience, varieties of advanced training and technological capacities beyond the imagining of our great-grandparents are coming together, looking into the face of apocalypse... and deciding to start a seed exchange or a kids clothing swap."
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/11 ... -towns.php
nexus

Post by nexus »

I'm surprised that you read 'Treehugger', Vortex !

Rob Hopkins rebutts a lot of what the Treehugger article says in his blog, Transition Culture http://transitionculture.org/2009/11/03 ... nging/[url][/url]

However, I too have issues with the Transition model and a better critique of it can be read at: http://sharonastyk.com/2009/06/30/perma ... e-part-ii/

Did I spot a comment from you Vortex on that particular blog the other week?!
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

Did I spot a comment from you Vortex on that particular blog the other week?!
No comment. :D
biffvernon

Post by biffvernon »

One of the (many) strengths of the Transition model is that each intiative is very autonomous, doing their own thing in their own way. It makes most generalisations pretty dumb.

So, Nexus, what issues do you have with, to take a not entirely random example, Transition Town Louth?
jonny2mad

Post by jonny2mad »

Ive been to transition town meetings and the people involved do seem pretty fluffy and liberal , for some reason I seem to depress them
"What causes more suffering in the world than the stupidity of the compassionate?"Friedrich Nietzsche

optimism is cowardice oswald spengler
Keela

Post by Keela »

jonny2mad wrote:Ive been to transition town meetings and the people involved do seem pretty fluffy and liberal , for some reason I seem to depress them
Jonny - my mental image of you is nothing like your avatar and I've never been to a transition town meeting either - but the thought of you at a one of those meetings, and the imaginary reactions that you might inspire have given me quite chuckle!

Thanks for that! 8)
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

From the groups that I have met and been involved in, there seems to be an inherent interest in the low-tech, appropriate technology type solutions—be it vermiculture, organics or rocket stoves—and a mistrust of many things high tech or market driven, from electric cars to photovoltaics.
Urm, "appropriate technology"... how can that be anything other than appropriate!
2 As and a B

Post by 2 As and a B »

I have no objection to electric cars or photovoltaics - if they are appropriate.

The big challenge for human society going forward will, as I see it, be preventing a Dark Age - retaining knowledge of how life, the universe and everything works (i.e. no flat earthing, Creationism, or loss of perspective) and maintaining appropriate technology, be that low or high tech. I rather think that crop growing, animal husbandry, energy sources, clothes and tool making and all sorts of make do and mend skills will have to be relearnt by society.
I'm hippest, no really.