Interesting doomer TV show, from USA.

Discussion of books relating to oil, sustainability and everything else talked about here.

Moderator: Peak Moderation

adam2
Site Admin

Interesting doomer TV show, from USA.

Post by adam2 »

Earth 2100, available on youtube.
Very believable possible future history for the next 90 years, worth watching IMHO.

Edited to update link.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDqRpM72Odg
Last edited by adam2 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
hardworkinghippy

Post by hardworkinghippy »

I've just watched it Adam, thanks.

The film shows it just about the way I see things but then I'm an optimist.
Our blah blah blah blog is HERE
Potemkin Villager

Post by Potemkin Villager »

The genesis and context of this substantial piece of propaganda will be of great interst to media studies types though I must say some of the talking doom heads seem rather creepingly unwholesome in a Dr Strangelove sort of way.

I wonder if the programme sponsored and who bought advertising time in the frequent breaks and what viewing figures did it achieve? These one off shock horrors really have little impact, I vaguely remember somthing similar on UK TV some time ago dramatising the effects of of the electricity grid shutting down following some nasty Johnny Foreigners cutting off winter supplies of gas. It caused a bit of a wobble amongst the chatting classes at the time but I wonder how many folk remember it now?

The choice of content and the comic book style are interesting as is the heroic narrative such as the doomed mission to save New York City. However I doubt it will have much impact on the general mentality of the US public even if it does promise the unlikely possibility of a happy ending.
The Stone Age represents 99.99% of mankind's existence on this planet. Francis Pryor
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Is anyone else noticing that news reports are starting to resemble Earth 2100?.
Riot, war, and unrest in Syria, Iraq, Israel/Palestine, Pakistan, Ukraine, and elsewhere.
Severe drought in California and elsewhere, and now of course we have "Caspian fever" spreading.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Well worth watching this, IMHO.
In the approx. fours years since I lasted added to this thread, the daily news has started to look more and more like the fictional portrayal in this this TV programme.

Here is a new link to watch it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDqRpM72Odg
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

Is the female at 9:38 really called Elizabeth Economy?
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
adam2
Site Admin

Re: Interesting doomer TV show, from USA.

Post by adam2 »

Over ten years have passed since the start of this thread.
Still well worth watching in my view, link in O/P.
Are we now more than 10% of the way towards the fictional doom portrayed in this TV series ? Beginning to look rather like it.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Limits to Growth was published in 1972 and slammed as rubbish by the same people who slam global warming and in the same ways. The 2000 revisiting and republication of the book found that we were on the Business As Usual trajectory to calamity but nothing was done and still hasn't really been done despite the grudging acknowledgement of Global Warming by most governments. Until we get off the idea that continuous economic growth is both possible and desirable we will not go anywhere near what is necessary to steer the human race away from the next civilisation collapse.

The reception that this video received was probably even more underwhelming than Limits To Growth's reception.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Even a slightly younger Dr Fauci gets a quick soundbite at 1:02:17. Blink and you'll miss him.

I watched it all last night and liked it. Right at the end it has a much happier alternative ending just to keep the suicide rate down I suppose. In reality I am not so sure there will be a good ending but you never know.

In terms of progress to 2100. We appear to have no agreement on climate change but there has been some promised cuts in emissions. Not sure on the sea level rises. CO2 levels now 410ppm?
Pandemics - check.
Uncontrolled migration of refugees - check.
G'Day cobber!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

According to this article, sea level rises could be up to 30% greater than previously thought due to earth rebound as the weight of the ice is lifted off Antarctica and, presumably Greenland.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

I think this process is not nearly as significant for Greenland or East Antarctica the geology is a bit different, East Antarctica has a colder thicker lithosphere. Also, this process is mostly a lagging response. While there is an instant elastic response (you can measure the virtical movement with GPS, the bedrock sinks in winter with snow load and rises in summer with melt) most of the effect follows after melting.

So yeah, a bit more lagging SLR from West Antarctica.