Thieves are stealing charger cables

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Mark

Thieves are stealing charger cables

Post by Mark »

Owners of electric cars are falling victim to a new crime wave sweeping the UK - thieves are stealing charger cables:
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... cable.html
Owners of electric cars are falling victim to a new crime wave sweeping the UK. Thieves are stealing the cable required to recharge the cars, then either selling the copper it contains as scrap – or simply selling the cable on the second hand market for up to £200. Experts predict these thefts could soon dwarf the £10million-a-year cost of replacing more than 10,000 stolen catalytic converters. The sale of electric cars rocketed by 76 per cent last year and there are now more than 400,000 electric vehicles and 750,000 plug-in hybrids on the UK's roads. By 2030, almost all new cars sold will be electric or hybrid, as new petrol or diesel-only engines are banned. Charging cables are required to power all electric cars. They can be connected via a plug socket on the car's side to one of 42,000 external charge points countrywide. These are found at many petrol stations, dedicated charging sites, or on residential streets. Owners usually store the cables in the car boot.

Continues....
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Re: Thieves are stealing charger cables

Post by kenneal - lagger »

A touch of Smart water or a UV sensitive ink and your postcode seems to be the order of the day and then a trawl of ebay if your cable gets nicked.

Also a sign saying "no cables are left in this car overnight" might stop damage.

A way of locking the cable at each end would be a good idea and then hope that the thieves take a pair of bolt croppers to it. They would only do it once I would think!! Although the 'elf an safety wallahs would probably require you to put electric danger signs on the cable.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

I have not heard of catalytic converter or charger cable thefts in Australia but there may be some.

A good sign might be "Charger cables inside boot - Don't mind the brown snake, he's really quite friendly".
G'Day cobber!
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

I'm surprised nobody thought about this.

Maybe cars need a retracting electrical lead permanently fixed to the car, such as found on some vacuum cleaners. I suppose they could still be cut but it may put off opportunists.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Could start making cables out of aluminium I suppose. Costs a bit less per kilogram.

I think the problem in the UK is a lack of regulation on the scrap industry.
G'Day cobber!
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Dont think that aluminium cables would be suitable as aluminium wires break if frequently flexed or moved. Aluminium cables are only suitable for fixed installations, and are falling out of use for indoor use in general.

Self retracting cables wont work unless always and reliably fully uncoiled, or the coiled portion overheats.

The scrap industry is allegedly now better regulated, but thefts continue.

The only answer is stiffer penalties for the thieves. And also no more sympathy when a cable thief gets killed. A bit more " HA HA one less of them" and a bit less "oh no that poor kid"
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"