A new cooperatively owned rail company

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

A new cooperatively owned rail company

Post by kenneal - lagger »

There is a proposal for a new cooperatively owned rail company to serve the Westbury to Taunton area. Sounds like a good small investment opportunity to me and a way forward for many communities.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Re: A new cooperatively owned rail company

Post by adam2 »

The plans sound excellent, but they produce plans regularly and have yet to run a single train.
I attended a meeting regarding the potential for running trains from Minehead to Taunton or beyond, that was some years ago and sounded very reasonable, but some years on, no trains have resulted.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Putting on my cynical hat but aren't these proposals just an excuse for someone like an accountant or lawyer or professional company director just earning a bit of extra cash before retirement while not really doing anything. And let's not get started on consultants fees.

They would be better off having a walking train, a bit like the 'walking buses' for school children they have, certainly in Aus. Or even a battery electric or pedal powered train.
G'Day cobber!
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Here is a link to a railway forum where this has been discussed for about TEN years !
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffe ... ic=11010.0
And when the discussion started, things had already been not happening for some years.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"