An electric bike with a difference

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

PS_RalphW

An electric bike with a difference

Post by PS_RalphW »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7oTg6XJsnk

I have never ridden a motorbike or even an full electric bicycle, but I like this design, with the entire drivetrain hidden in the rear wheel. I can imagine it doing to motorcycles what the Tesla roadster did to cars, if it proves reliable.
Catweazle

Re: An electric bike with a difference

Post by Catweazle »

There are some potential problems with that wheel design. Unsprung weight is the obvious one, the more weight unsprung the more difficult it is for the tyre to maintain proper contact with the road surface, manufacturers spend a lot of money on magnesium wheels. Gyroscopic forces are also an issue, modern bikes have the engine rotating in the opposite direction to the wheels, to cancel out some gyro forces that otherwise make the bike corner strangely.
mr brightside

Post by mr brightside »

Just on electric bikes, is anyone noticing how many electric motocross bikes are now being ridded on public highways? In the eyes of the law they may as well be petrol engined, and none of them have number plates so no insurance or licensing. Mainly ridden on the back wheel around where i live by young lads who presumably don't know any better.
Persistence of habitat, is the fundamental basis of persistence of a species.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

mr brightside wrote: 13 May 2022, 07:00 Just on electric bikes, is anyone noticing how many electric motocross bikes are now being ridded on public highways? In the eyes of the law they may as well be petrol engined, and none of them have number plates so no insurance or licensing. Mainly ridden on the back wheel around where i live by young lads who presumably don't know any better.
Not something we see in the sticks, but I have to admit I'd love one.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

mr brightside wrote: 13 May 2022, 07:00 Just on electric bikes, is anyone noticing how many electric motocross bikes are now being ridded on public highways? In the eyes of the law they may as well be petrol engined, and none of them have number plates so no insurance or licensing. Mainly ridden on the back wheel around where i live by young lads who presumably don't know any better.
If the machines are pedal powered with only electric ASSISTANCE, and if the speed under electric power is limited to IIRC 15 MPH then use is probably legal, subject to general rules of the road.

If however these are electric MOTORCYCLES capable of more than 15 MPH, then use as described is illegal. Motorcycles, whether powered by petrol or electricity need a driving licence, a number plate, insurance, and the rider must wear a motorcycle helmet.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

The lawlessness on our streets is shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXjmNzzHqGM
mr brightside

Post by mr brightside »

Catweazle wrote: 13 May 2022, 22:55
Not something we see in the sticks, but I have to admit I'd love one.
North Leeds has the right combination of affluence and scruffiness for this to proliferate.
mr brightside

Post by mr brightside »

Catweazle wrote: 14 May 2022, 09:58 The lawlessness on our streets is shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXjmNzzHqGM
That's the stuff.
mr brightside

Post by mr brightside »

I don't actually think they realise they need a big bike license and insurance/tax to ride those on the road. At one stage he was hitting 69 in a 40.