Are we on the brink of an electric car revolution?

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

clv101
Site Admin

Re: Are we on the brink of an electric car revolution?

Post by clv101 »

Have a look at this video, https://youtu.be/UvzRfUGAB_s
A tour of the BYD factory in China. This is how the west gets left behind.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

clv101 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:49 am Have a look at this video, https://youtu.be/UvzRfUGAB_s
That's the fancy front end of Chinese manufacturing, the real marvel is the investment in machinery and training. I'm holding a tyre valve I got from a tyre repair chap yesterday, it has multiple turned brass and steel components, a spring, seal, dust cap and rubber overmould where it fits into the wheel. This part sells to the local garage for 7 pence. What must the manufacturing costs be, to be able to ship it half way across the world and sell it to the garage for 7 pence ?
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Catweazle wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:51 pm
clv101 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:49 am Have a look at this video, https://youtu.be/UvzRfUGAB_s
That's the fancy front end of Chinese manufacturing, the real marvel is the investment in machinery and training. I'm holding a tyre valve I got from a tyre repair chap yesterday, it has multiple turned brass and steel components, a spring, seal, dust cap and rubber overmould where it fits into the wheel. This part sells to the local garage for 7 pence. What must the manufacturing costs be, to be able to ship it half way across the world and sell it to the garage for 7 pence ?
Maybe it was made at a loss in order to put the companies in the West that used to make it out of business and then become the monopoly manufacturer. I think it used to be termed 'laser manufacturing' and is one of the reasons how the once large British motorcycle industry got clobbered by Japanese manufacturers.

I like the industry involved in this video. Smashing a bit of hot metal with a large hammer to make a railway wheel (or whatever it was).
G'Day cobber!
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

Not really ev specific, but my new Nissan leaf tried to do an over the air software update last week, but it failed, probably a checksum error or similar on the download. It has now got stuck in a loop where it cycles through the failed download messages and cannot be reset. The car still drives fine but the messages block the sat nav screen.
As a software developer my guess is that the system failed to clear the 'download in progress' flag. I took the car back to the Nissan dealer and after 3 days investigation they are stumped and reduced to proposing to replace the entire infotainment system costing several thousand pounds because that is what the service manual says to do when that particular error code appears..

I am not entirely sure that the memory module that the stuck flag will be stored in, is even in the infotainment module.

This is what happens when mechanics try to repair a computer on wheels.

I am not attempting to point out the likely outcome of their actions because they are the experts on the car with the official training of how to follow a simple flow chart. It is all being done under warrenty.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Complexity!

I've often thought it wouldn't be the existing car companies that come out on top as the industry moves electric.