Cyber attacks/Ransomware attacks.

Discussion of the latest Peak Oil news (please also check the Website News area below)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

adam2
Site Admin

Cyber attacks/Ransomware attacks.

Post by adam2 »

This thread is to talk about cyber attacks and closely related matters, such as the consequences of such attacks, and ways to deal with same.

This is not the place for personal or domestic IT issues.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
adam2
Site Admin

Re: Cyber attacks/Ransomware attacks.

Post by adam2 »

Here is the latest attack. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57707530

This one is particularly regrettable due to the amount of food that will be wasted as a result. Perishables already on the shelf will out go of date and be wasted.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

I've read two book on this in the last few months, Sandworm: A New Era of Cyberwar and the Hunt for the Kremlin's Most Dangerous Hackers by Andy Greenberg and This Is How They Tell Me the World Ends: The Cyberweapons Arms Race by Nicole Perlroth.

Both cover similar material, Greenberg's is more technical, Perlroth's more economic and political. Both excellent and form a strong argument that we (the most developed nations) are particularly vulnerable, the consequences could be immense, it is a highly asymmetric battlefield, the NSA, GCHQ etc are directly responsible for some of the most dangerous tools - and of course we lost then to the wild, and the very best/smartest individuals tend not to work for Western governments. In short we're in big trouble.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

China accused of large cyber attack. No mention of any ransom demand. The motive may have been disruption for its own sake, or indirectly as part of a long term policy to show that established Western companies are unreliable.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-57889981
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Rail ticket machines targeted. Said to be a ransomware attack.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57892711
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

I don't know if anyone will find this helpful, but here goes.
I run a website which amongst other things I sell prescribed E-learning modules.

We are very often targeted by DDOS or ransomware demands. Both have the same MO. An email telling us a DDOS has commenced and we can stop if we pay a certain amount of bitcoin, or an Email saying that part of our network has been compromised by ransomware.

So far, cross fingers, non of these attacks have been successful.

We find a few simple precautions and one big precaution has helped.

Everyday we delete cookies on our laptops
Everyday we delete all unwanted/spam/advertising Emails
Only agreed and trusted customer Emails are allowed past the Email filter on the company server

Everyweek we change passwords and keep them in a book safely secured offline
Everyweek we download the entire server data to a separate hard drive which again it is kept offline

As we are a micro company it is possible to keep a relatively high level of security without much faff, it's more of a habit to do it.

I have noticed that when the price of bitcoin goes up, the attempts go up.

And we only use Mac's
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

This is a worrying one.

The website guntrader.uk has suffered an attack and lost the full details of some 112k accounts. Details include names, phone numbers, address, lat/long... Not that big a deal until you realise these are mostly firearms and shotgun cert holders. For the criminally minded, that's 100k addresses where they are likely find a gun.

https://basc.org.uk/basc-issues-firearm ... teal-data/
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

The question is being asked, could shipping cope of satellites were attacked or subverted.
I would HOPE that British ships still carry sextants, paper charts, nautical almanacs, mechanical chronometers, and direct reading magnetic compasses. And that the officers still know how to navigate without modern electronics.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57440787
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Sounds like another disaster in the making. It would be interesting to conduct spot checks on new merchant marine cadets from the UK - assuming there are still any being trained there - on their abilities to navigate.

Captain Cook apparently could measure his position to about 2 minutes on latitude and 4 of longitude in moderate weather. A minute of latitude is, I believe, approximately one mile while those of longitude vary with latitude.

All part of the increasing complexity and as a result vulnerability of today's society.
G'Day cobber!
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

I don't know about the commercial big stuff, but when I'm sailing we have to do a passage plan, it's a legal requirement. The passage plan will be updated every 30 mins or so. Again you need the charts of all areas in the plan. If you are boarded by the Navy/coastguard and you are sailing in waters with no chart, you are in trouble.
Although, 90% of the time you rely on GPS route plotters, you will also have to constantly update the chart manually as well. The only time I have been boarded was off the coast of Albania and fined 100 euro for god knows what, probably went to the local underworld.
The basic RYA skippers course (small cruisers) include night passage, star navigation etc. So I should imagine the big commercial ones would have a bit more back up

.https://www.marineinsight.com/marine-na ... -planning/
https://www.rya.org.uk/training/profess ... ay-skipper