Western N Ameria extreme weather forecast

For threads primarily discussing Climate Change (particularly in relation to Peak Oil)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

UndercoverElephant

Western N Ameria extreme weather forecast

Post by UndercoverElephant »

https://gizmodo.com/a-record-breaking-a ... 1847157954
The record-obliterating heat wave will hit California, Oregon, and Washington amid a megadrought.
Potemkin Villager

Re: Western N Ameria extreme weather forecast

Post by Potemkin Villager »

Is this the road to Ameria?
The Stone Age represents 99.99% of mankind's existence on this planet. Francis Pryor
UndercoverElephant

Potemkin Villager wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:57 pm Is this the road to Ameria?
Ha ha ha.
Potemkin Villager

It doesn't bear thinking about considering how we freak out
if it gets much above 25 C for long. I had forgotten that the yanks
still think in Fahrenheit degrees.
The Stone Age represents 99.99% of mankind's existence on this planet. Francis Pryor
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Trump will blame it on too many "windmills" slowing the cooling breeze down. Funny how people wishing to disparage wind turbines call them "windmills". Nearly all of them do it!
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

But should not all those solar panels that "use up" the sunlight, produce a cooling effect that counteracts the reduction in the cooling breezes.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

adam2 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:13 am But should not all those solar panels that "use up" the sunlight, produce a cooling effect that counteracts the reduction in the cooling breezes.
Ah! The delights of speculation in psuedo science!!
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

Noting how this year has been notably calmer, weather-wise, in this area, I jokingly said to some acquaintances how the reduction in air traffic and the increase in wind turbine numbers have combined to reduce wind turbulence. I was taken seriously by a couple of people.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Wind turbines DO produce a reduction in average wind speeds downstream, though I doubt that this is significant.

In this particular case, it seems to me that A LOT more PV is needed, to partly replace the hydroelectric power. And some significant water conservation measures.
In such hot conditions, air conditioning is becoming essential and this should be solar powered. Not generally DIRECTLY PV powered, but powered from the grid and with a grid tied PV installation that produces MORE energy than that consumed by the air conditioning.

In places where failure of the air conditioning would put life at risk, then both the air conditioning equipment and the power supply thereto should be duplicated.

Whilst preferences regarding weather and climate vary a lot, I would not willingly live in such a place. A moderately cool climate is in my view preferable to hot conditions.
Heating appliances are in general cheaper, simpler, and more reliable than mechanical cooling.
Warm clothing can be worn if cold, but there are limits as to what may be removed in public if too hot.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Cave dwelling did have some advantages!
Potemkin Villager

adam2 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:56 pm
In such hot conditions, air conditioning is becoming essential and this should be solar powered. Not generally DIRECTLY PV powered, but powered from the grid and with a grid tied PV installation that produces MORE energy than that consumed by the air conditioning.

In places where failure of the air conditioning would put life at risk, then both the air conditioning equipment and the power supply thereto should be duplicated.
I think this actually means that for practical purposes it is becoming
next to impossible to live in such areas.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

adam2 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:56 pm .............

The trouble with that is that the PV doesn't work very well when the sun is obscured by the smoke from the weather caused forest fires. Wind turbines would be better as the wind caused by the hot weather and the forest fires is generally quite strong.
UndercoverElephant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/57622480

45 degrees forecast for Portland. That's Saudi temperatures.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Forecast suggest many all time temperature records will be broken over the next 48hrs. Still early in the season, impact on crops and forest fires will be significant.

I'm reading Kim Stanley Robinson's The Ministry for the Future. It's fiction, but highly plausible, opens with a heatwave in India killing 20 million. Focuses on climate science, geopolitics and economics.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Later news reports here.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57626173

Many temperature records have been broken, and still hotter temperatures are expected later today.