About 5 years ago there begun a plan to build a large waste-incinerator somewhere near Knaresborough. At the time the amount of waste being sent to landfill was rising every year, and the amount being recycled was pathetic. Both these have now changed. At the time, HMG thought the PFI-type way of financing big projects was the best thing since sliced bread, that too has now changed.
A mock-consultation (you know, comes out just before Xmas, with a deadline just before new years) dribbled out, offering the Great Yorkshire Public the chance to choose between two "options" for a waste strategy...both of which included an incinerator!
We now have before us a plan to build this thing, which is about twice the size the region needs and will summon trucks from as far away as, erm, possibly Manchester, and HMG have just announced they're no longer going to put-up the (promised) PFI funds.
Website with details: http://www.no-burner.org.uk/news/object-to-the-plans
News coverage: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/at- ... _1_4028989
List of things that are wrong with it:
- The proposed scheme will damage the landscape, environment and economy
- Need is not proven; the facility is too large
- No business case is provided
- The case for the selected technology is not made
- The proposal is contrary to local, regional and national/EU policies
- There will be significant adverse climate change impacts
- The proposal will not maximise energy recovery from waste
- There has been no proper public consultation
- There will be adverse impacts on protected wildlife species
- There will be significant traffic impacts
- Cumulative impacts of this proposal alongside other similar proposals for the area have not been assessed
Please drop the man a line and object: pick yer reasons from the list above!The reference for the application is NY/2011/0328/ENV – it is important that you quote this. The application can be viewed on North Yorkshire County Council’s Planning Portal – you can object here online also. If you prefer, you can write to the case officer by post:
Shaun Robson, Planning Services, Business and Environmental Services Directorate, County Hall, Northallerton DL7 8AH
Or by email to: email@example.com