Money to burn

Got campaigning suggestions? People to contact, places to advertise? Methods to use? How have people responded to your campaigning? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Peak Moderation

RenewableCandy

Money to burn

Post by RenewableCandy »

Possibly not directly PO-related, but here goes.

About 5 years ago there begun a plan to build a large waste-incinerator somewhere near Knaresborough. At the time the amount of waste being sent to landfill was rising every year, and the amount being recycled was pathetic. Both these have now changed. At the time, HMG thought the PFI-type way of financing big projects was the best thing since sliced bread, that too has now changed.

A mock-consultation (you know, comes out just before Xmas, with a deadline just before new years) dribbled out, offering the Great Yorkshire Public the chance to choose between two "options" for a waste strategy...both of which included an incinerator!

We now have before us a plan to build this thing, which is about twice the size the region needs and will summon trucks from as far away as, erm, possibly Manchester, and HMG have just announced they're no longer going to put-up the (promised) PFI funds.

Website with details: http://www.no-burner.org.uk/news/object-to-the-plans
News coverage: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/at- ... _1_4028989

List of things that are wrong with it:
- The proposed scheme will damage the landscape, environment and economy
- Need is not proven; the facility is too large
- No business case is provided
- The case for the selected technology is not made
- The proposal is contrary to local, regional and national/EU policies
- There will be significant adverse climate change impacts
- The proposal will not maximise energy recovery from waste
- There has been no proper public consultation
- There will be adverse impacts on protected wildlife species
- There will be significant traffic impacts
- Cumulative impacts of this proposal alongside other similar proposals for the area have not been assessed
The reference for the application is NY/2011/0328/ENV – it is important that you quote this. The application can be viewed on North Yorkshire County Council’s Planning Portal – you can object here online also. If you prefer, you can write to the case officer by post:

Shaun Robson, Planning Services, Business and Environmental Services Directorate, County Hall, Northallerton DL7 8AH

Or by email to: allertonwaste@northyorks.gov.uk
Please drop the man a line and object: pick yer reasons from the list above!
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

One of the main objections to incineration must be the sheer stupidity of burning resources - as well as perpetuating the culture of using primary resources to create yet more stuff to burn.

You know, like when your fossil energy is in decline but still you continue to make stuff from it, just to burn it. There comes a point when...gah, what's the use.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

Go on, go on, write that letter! You know it makes sense :)
Stories
The Price of Time
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

The comment following the Yorkshire Post article from one Brian Wilson (surely not the...) is useful and sensible.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

The only one I've heard of is in fact a vehement anti-incinerator campaigner...is there another one?
Stories
The Price of Time
SleeperService

Post by SleeperService »

You might find this story interesting and relevant...

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/waste ... story.html

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Idle- ... story.html

Not an incinerator but surely a sign that it's impossible to be sure what the future will bring. Could help bring doubt about assumptions to the table..
Scarcity is the new black
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

RenewableCandy wrote:The only one I've heard of is in fact a vehement anti-incinerator campaigner...is there another one?

Legend.
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

Thanks SleeperService I shall forward those articles to the campaign guys :)
Stories
The Price of Time
SleeperService

Post by SleeperService »

RenewableCandy wrote:Thanks SleeperService I shall forward those articles to the campaign guys :)
You're most welcome, similar tactics severely delayed a similar idea in Nottingham and now the council are trying to shut down the one that's there!!! Result :D
Scarcity is the new black