Housecoal banned

Degasified coal? Bitumen? Will we have to turn to these at the cost of global warming?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Catweazle

Re: Housecoal banned

Post by Catweazle »

Apart from being easier to light, housecoal is vastly inferior to anthracite. Housecoal sends most heat up the chimney by producing too much flame, whilst anthracite burns slowly with very little flame but lots of "glow".

I say good riddance to the smoky, smelly stuff, there are villages around here than stink of sulphur in winter.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

I agree, anthracite is almost allways a better fuel for multifuel stoves, and patent smokeless fuel preferable for open fires.
However the "poverty lobby" are demanding exceptions for the poor or vulnerable. Bulk buying and community distribution is being proposed.

BTW, I burn logs normally but have run out and am burning anthracite at present. There are too many variables to accuratly compare costs, but anthracite is much less trouble, replenishment twice a day rather than every couple of hours.

My pet cat usually sleeps on my bed in winter, and I was a little concerned that he was not on my bed last night. Sleeping contentedly in front of the stove which remained lit from about 22-00 until 10-00 the next day. I could get used to the bad black stuff.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

But anthracite only keeps you warm the once whereas logs do it three times.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

The ban on housecoal took effect today, May 1st, 2021.

The ban is not total, housecoal may still still lawfully be sold in bulk for industry etc. Retail sale of bagged housecoal, or of small volumes tipped "loose" is now prohibited.
Existing stocks held by customers my be lawfully used.

Contrary to some reports, this ban is NOT for reasons of climate change. Anthracite or patent smokeless fuels produce similar levels of carbon dioxide, The aim is to reduce levels of smoke and fine particulates in the air.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Looks like a loophole has been found and that sales may continue.
At least one major coal merchant has stated that only "prepacked" housecoal is banned, and that retail sales may continue provided that the coal is delivered in open bags rather than sealed bags.

At least sales from supermarkets and petrol filing stations have ceased as such places cant cope with open bags.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Sounds like there has been plenty of lobbying by the supply industry. I wonder how many MPs have had a delivery of coal or, more probably, something equivalent?
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez