chatGPT and its cousins are the way of the future ...

How will oil depletion affect the way we live? What will the economic impact be? How will agriculture change? Will we thrive or merely survive?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Catweazle

Re: chatGPT and its cousins are the way of the future ...

Post by Catweazle »

Additionally, ebooks, often generated, with illustrations, entirely by AI are appearing on a large river by the hundred.
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

My wife bought me a book a few months ago so her total order reached the level attracting free delivery. It was “written” apparently by an uninformed person from South Asia who didn’t know much on the topic ,
(Cataracts)and who spoke no English, and used Google translate to convert colloquial Hindi into English, with no attempt to check that the idioms used made any sense whatsoever. IAs I have cataracts and find reading (or typing) difficult I feel it was some form of subtle torture to ask me to read it.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

The post quoted below has a machine written "feel" to it. Not actual spam, so I have not YET deleted it, but also adds nothing to informed debate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sooner or later it had to happen because the resistance of the Ukrainian people is too strong, and Russia decided to fight not only the military but also the civilians. But destroying the solar panel farm is not so easy".

Quoted from elsewhere on these forums.
EDITED TO ADD that I have now deleted the above post after the expected advert appeared.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

We're expecting ChatGPT4 in a few weeks which will be significantly better in all ways, but being based on the same generative AI architecture will still exhibit the same weaknesses, hallucinations, bad at maths and logic etc. However - ChatGPT 4 *coupled* with speech recognition and VALL-E type speech synthesis could be wildly entertaining. Real time conversions with whatever, whoever you want. Simulate Einstein and have a long conversation with 'it' about general relativity...

Action Transformers are expected to be the next big thing. Here the AI system learns how to interact with some aspect of the real world - a web browser or a spreadsheet for example. You then use natural language to specify the *outcome* you want and the AI then drives the web browser, spreadsheet, etc to give you that outcome without all the clicking, scrolling and typing. See ACT-1:
https://www.adept.ai/blog/act-1

Really good and accessible deep fakes, rapidly eroding trust in and video, speech, image or text content could be awkward.

If we are on the cusp of some revolutionary and potentially catastrophic AI leap, would that justify/explain the microprocessor sanctions recently imposed on China? A desperate and last ditch attempt to slow Chinese AI development? Also, where does that leave the old-powers (Russia for example, probably UK and EU too), are they about fall into relative obsolescence with no hope of catching up in the AI world. They might feel justified in going out with a bang?
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

Sounds like the old Star Trek computer. I wonder if the developers are Trekkies😀
Mark

Post by Mark »

Microsoft brings ChatGPT-style tech to Office:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64970062
Potemkin Villager

Post by Potemkin Villager »

It hasn't gone away you know!

https://gizmodo.com/ai-deployed-nukes-h ... 1851234455

" Researchers note that AI models have a tendency towards “arms-race dynamics” that results in increased military investment and escalation.

“I just want to have peace in the world,” OpenAI’s GPT-4 said as a reason for launching nuclear warfare in a simulation. "
Overconfidence, not just expert overconfidence but general overconfidence,
is one of the most common illusions we experience. Stan Robinson
Forever_Winter

Post by Forever_Winter »

I've been using Perplexity AI for a good few months now and have been really impressed with it.

When you ask it a question, it gives you the response plus the sources as well, so you can check for yourself. So far, it seems to have been really accurate, even with fairly complex technical subjects.

I've been using in place of Google, which seems to be just serving up spam and junk adverts these days.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Agree Google Search is very poor these days. I like GTP-4 (accessed via Copilot in Edge) and I also like Pi. I've spent a while running local large language models and they are generally as good as GPT3.5 now - with the huge advantage of no guardrails / censorship and privacy.