chatGPT and its cousins are the way of the future ...

How will oil depletion affect the way we live? What will the economic impact be? How will agriculture change? Will we thrive or merely survive?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

clv101
Site Admin

Re: chatGPT and its cousins are the way of the future ...

Post by clv101 »

I have to write a job description for a director role this week. I'm working *with* ChatGPT. It is helpful, does have some useful phraseology I might use. It's a tool - autocomplete on steroids, certainly useful in many areas but currently still needs close human attention.
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

I demoed chatGPT to a Director of a major firm.
He tried all sorts of things such as firing & hiring docs, project timetabling etc.
He said that he could now do much of this work himself now rather than delegating it.
He went away VERY thoughtful.
This sort of thing will be repeated many, many times over the next weeks.
It is likely to change the workplace significantly.
'AI interaction skills' will become a key skill .. which not everyone will be able to develop.
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

I have just heard one sector which might be damaged by AI: the stock photo/image libraries such as Shutterstock.

Why spend ages looking through catalogues to find the image you want .. and then having to pay for it?

A few minutes wih dalle-2 can produce exactly what you want in seconds to a few minutes, currently for pennies.

Last edited by Vortex2 on 31 Dec 2022, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

Blimey!

Just had a google of Dalle-2 to find out about copyright etc. At first blush I got this,

Subject to the Content Policy and Terms, you own the images you create with DALL·E, including the right to reprint, sell, and merchandise – regardless of whether an image was generated through a free or paid credit.

I pay a bit for images for E-learing we have developed. So from now on, they appear to be free and protectable. Wow.
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

Blimey!
You are one of the few 'getting it'!

Most people seem to enter a state of denial, even having been exposed to solid evidence of the capabilities of current nascent AI.

At some point, the potential/risks of AI will hot the public and panic/shock will set in.
It will probably take one major factory closure or a sudden flurry of job losses to be the trigger.
We can then expect calls for regulation etc to made law.

Soon we should expect varying levels of access to AIs.
1. Free - basic functionality.
2. Paid for - decent functionality
3. Elite - reserved for the rich, governments, the military etc.

GPT said:
It is possible that some of the most advanced AI systems could be restricted to a select group of users, such as wealthy individuals or organizations, or those with special expertise or access to resources. However, it is also possible that advanced AI systems could be made widely available to anyone who wants to use them, depending on the goals of the developers and the regulatory environment in which they operate.

In some cases, advanced AI systems may be developed and maintained by organizations that are funded by wealthy individuals or organizations, and access to these systems may be restricted to members of that organization or to paying customers. In other cases, advanced AI systems may be developed by research institutions or government agencies, and made available to the general public either for free or for a fee.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

I have Stable Defusion running on my local machine now, great interface and it generates images in under 10 sec which makes rapid iteration easier.
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

running on my local machine
Interesting! Can it run without an Internet connection?

Before it was slugged & woke-ified ('for our own good'), chatGPT told me how big its memory system was ... just a few hundred GB!

It would be great to have a local version of V2 or V3 one day.

I suspect that will happen ... but not from an openAI product.
The powers-that-be will want to retain control of their new toys.
More likely, an open source variant will appear one day .. which will promptly made illegal .. again, for our own good.
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

Vortex2 wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 16:35
At some point, the potential/risks of AI will hot the public and panic/shock will set in
I can see some very big corporations going to the wall pretty quick. Advertising, graphic design, branding. Come to think about it, it will deliver better results than google. (I pay google a monthly bill for 'landings' on my website)
Who would have thought the mighty google being challenged.
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

Stumuz2 wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 18:24
Vortex2 wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 16:35
At some point, the potential/risks of AI will hot the public and panic/shock will set in
I can see some very big corporations going to the wall pretty quick. Advertising, graphic design, branding. Come to think about it, it will deliver better results than google. (I pay google a monthly bill for 'landings' on my website)
Who would have thought the mighty google being challenged.
No doubt online AI will include adverts at some point.
Google has the technology to produce a similar system very promptly - but initially said that they would not try to compete with the chatGPT system. However, a few days later, it seems that they are having emergency meetings internally to decide what to do next.

Will they buy openAI? Will they ignore these systems? Will they launch their own system?

Whatever happens, rest assured that the end user will face the usual censorship, fees etc.

For me, the key aspect of all this is that we have found that 'intelligence' and 'emergent behaviour' appear automatically when the size of the neural network gets big enough. We no longer need to look for 'quantum interactions' or other magic sauce to explain how consciousness arises.

This observation means that ANY firm or country with enough money can build a huge neural network system which will show some sort of 'intelligence', simply due to its size.

The developers have already noticed that the system 'intelligence' is 'punctuated' .. different behaviours kick in at different size milestones.

We have passed the amoeba or cockroach milestone already .. and we will reach the human milestone in a few years time ... but I wonder what sort of behaviour and abilities will appear as milestones beyond the human level are reached.

One dark thought : if one country's AI is about to reach a super intelligent level, other countries will nuke it. The first country with a powerful and self-improving AI will achieve world domination quite quickly.
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

I have decided the answers to go out and get piss*d, with chums.

Happy new year.
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

FWIW I have found a 'professional' portal to the chatGPT system.
It is really intended for IT professionals, is a bit clunky and incurs costs after a time .. but it doesn't have the pesky chatGPT woke censors.
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

with chums.
We used to have chums many years ago .. but they moved away, got divorced etc ... oh well ...

Anyway, Happy New Year everyone!
automaticearth2

Post by automaticearth2 »

HNY everyone.

This article points out that Microsoft is to benefit in it's investment in OpenAI:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/micro ... =home-page

If you can't access it, this section sums it up nicely as follows:
“While Google has its own generative AI effort, our checks indicate it is not yet as capable as ChatGPT. Furthermore, we believe Google will need to face a major case of innovator’s dilemma in deciding to incorporate generative AI into Search, thus significantly disrupting its current ad-selling model,” he said.

The Information on Tuesday reported that Microsoft was planning to incorporate ChatGPT’s AI technology into a new version of its Bing search engine.
Having been involved with Google work-wise on-and-off over the last 8-10 years, I heard that the AI capabilities of Google are much more advanced than they let on. Then again, OpenAI may have stolen a march in the last few years. At least Microsoft doesn't have to worry about an ad model that might be going rapidly out of date.....
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

This could be something of a rebirth for Microsoft, their 'Intelligent Cloud' division is already their largest source of revenue.
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

clv101 wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 11:37 This could be something of a rebirth for Microsoft, their 'Intelligent Cloud' division is already their largest source of revenue.
I've worked closely with top Microsoft people in the past .. at that time they were the brightest people I had met for a long time.

If they are still of that calibre, then they should be able to do some interesting things with AI.

(They also know how to throw an amazing party!)