Looks like a potentially severe drought coming

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

UndercoverElephant

Looks like a potentially severe drought coming

Post by UndercoverElephant »

I am watching the growth of wild plants very carefully (it is my job to do so). They are suffering. A lot of things are frost damaged, a lot of things are late because of the low temperatures, and now they are beginning to suffer from lack of rain. The spring fungi are also in trouble (st george's mushrooms should be about to fruit, but they will not do so unless it rains). The long term forecast is for more of the same, for the forseeable future: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/56771376

Cold and dry. We've already had the driest start to April in living memory, no rain is forecast, and the end of the week shows absolutely no sign of change. And after that, we're getting into the summer period where extended periods of warm and dry weather are normal.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Re: Looks like a potentially severe drought coming

Post by kenneal - lagger »

We have noticed this trend over the last few years as there is a lot less grazing available on our local common early in the year. This has a knock on effect right through until the autumn rain comes. Our cattle are having to eat a lot more browse so we are breeding towards a cow which will cope with this sort of diet.

Wet land is looking a lot more attractive.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

We've had a mere 23mm of rain over the last four weeks, since mid-March. The current forecast's looking dry, maybe a few mm in a week's time. This is looking like yet another dry spring, like '17, '18 and 2020.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

A farming neighbour of mine purchased extra land a few years ago, for grazing beef cattle.
The new land is low lying and vulnerable to flooding, hence the low price paid.
It makes excellent grazing in the summer or in prolonged dry weather, and has proved a wise purchase.

Other friends in North Wales own a dairy farm. Low qaulity land but the cattle thrive at a low stocking density, the lower parts of this farm are also vulnerable to flooding, but valuable in dry weather.

Meanwhile it has been announced that the Lynton funicular railway which is water powered is to be converted to electric power, the stated reason being that all the water used at present is dumped at the bottom of the incline, runs into the sea, and thereby adds to sea level rise. This change was announced at the begining of this month.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Details.

Quote, as reported on the first day of this month.

HYBRID FUTURE for the CLIFF RAILWAY - The Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway has finally announced its conversion to electric power this week and follows in the footsteps of many of the other UK Funiculars. The cliff railway, which has been run entirely by water since 1890, can no longer justify its contribution to rising sea levels. Each day, the cliff railway can extract up to 60,000 gallons of fresh river water from the West Lyn, it is used briefly and then simply chucked directly into the sea. That’s a huge amount of water, more than 16 million gallons during the season. ‘putting that much water into the sea is only going to contribute towards rising sea levels’ said company spokesman, Archie Medes, ‘It’s just like when my bath overflowed last week’. The ‘Eureka’ moment followed the recent high tides in Lynmouth, the company felt it could no longer justify its contribution to rising sea levels in this way and has been working closely with Tezla over the winter maintenance season laying high voltage electric cabling. Twenty high-capacity Lithium (Li-Ion) Batteries have been installed below the carriages in the now redundant 700 gallon water tanks, the 100kWh batteries are expected to hold 90% of their life after 1000 discharge cycles and have the capacity of up to 5 journeys per day, powering the railway and its passengers silently up the hillside at up to 40mph. General Manager, Ashley Clarke, said ‘this new technology is amazing, no longer will we have to starve the planet of fresh water, when we can use Batteries, Lithium and electricity instead. We thought we were really eco before but the switch to electricity just makes that better – I can’t believe the Victorians didn’t think about it. We even have phone charging points that visitors can use during their journey’.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

:mrgreen: haha
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

10mm of rain just yesterday. I collected about 2000 litres of rainwater in the tanks so I saved some sea level rise. I would say it has been just about as wet as I have known it.

Could be random fluctuations or could be jetstream or gulfstream beginning to change due to global warming.
G'Day cobber!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Why didn't they just pump sea water up to the top to power the funicular. It would use the same amount of energy.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

kenneal - lagger wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:04 am Why didn't they just pump sea water up to the top to power the funicular. It would use the same amount of energy.
I'd be guessing it is a double railway that has two cars linked together with a cable around a wheel at the top. So one car is going up as the other goes down acting as a counterweight. So water is filled at the top and then the heavier car going down pulls the other one up. Heavier car then discharges its water at the bottom of the slope and process repeats.
So it is not the same as pumping seawater up there. The water (presumably from a spring) is already up there and doing some useful work by falling to the sea and obviously causing sea level rise at the same time. The point is that it does not use any human generated energy such as steam or electric - it uses God given water to operate.

I am sure there was something similar at the Centre for Alternative Technology (or whatever the place is called now). I went in the 90s so a lot of things may have changed by now.

I should add that I think this is a bit of a joke - at least I hope it is - implying the people who think the sea will rise are a bit dim. A bit like mediaeval villagers thinking a cow jumped over the Moon or similar. in my opinion they would be best leaving things as they are and educating North Devon people a bit better.
Last edited by BritDownUnder on Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
G'Day cobber!
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

I seem to recall a politician objecting to the water "wasted" by either the CAT funicular or by the Lynton one, he suggested that this "waste" could be reduced by requiring that each passenger going up be required to carry a bucket of water up, this to be tipped into the upper reservoir.
I feer that the suggestion was serious.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Has anyone considered the huge amount of air being wasted by windfarms ? We could all suffocate, for the sake of generating electricity. Shocking.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Solar farms take all the light (and maybe heat too) from an area so people, especially poor churchgoing people, may freeze to death. I have even heard it said that cows will spontaneously abort their calves when the shadow of such an abomination falls across them.

I did hear that a town in the deep south of the US did stop a solar farm for nearly as ridiculous a reason but I can't remember what it was. Maybe it was another April fool.
G'Day cobber!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

I missed this rather important bit -

"Quote, as reported on the first day of this month."

Thought it was a bit strange!!!
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

BritDownUnder wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 am Solar farms take all the light (and maybe heat too) from an area so people, especially poor churchgoing people, may freeze to death. I have even heard it said that cows will spontaneously abort their calves when the shadow of such an abomination falls across them.
It's worse than that, the electricity generated from sunlight is hotter than conventionally generated electricity, because the Sun is hotter than coal burning. If you have too much solar electricity mixed with your normal electricity your heaters and bulbs can overheat, potentially causing fires.

Smart meters automatically restrict the amount of hot electricity coming into your premises by passing some of through the Earth wire, where it cools down, but older types cannot do it. Beware.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

Back on topic, here in rainy Ireland we have a had a damp day today, with another forecast for tomorrow. You can work outside and not get wet (maybe a little cold), that's the extent of it.

In other words, if you ignore the little bit of damp drizzle we had today, we've had no rain from 29th March till today, 19th April. This has become normal for this time of year.

It's a quite local situation as the counties to the north and south of us get a lot more rain than us, as a rule. Still.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker