Greer absolutely nails it....

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

emordnilap

Re: Greer absolutely nails it....

Post by emordnilap »

UndercoverElephant wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 pm Re: renting for a while. We have come up with a better idea. I have spoken to some agents down there, and it seems that demand for rental properties massively outstrips supply. I think what we're going to do is buy a terraced house in Pembroke Dock. My mother is not going to be with us for very much longer, and we should inherit about £150K. That's plenty for buying something like this: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/87504782#/ as cash buyers in no rush. It even has a massive basement for storage. Then we can move down there without any pressure, and sell up in Hastings. And that leaves us in a position where we can view smallholdings at short notice and be mostly cash buyers for that too. Then we move to the smallholding and rent out the terrace in Pembroke Dock. All sounds great in theory, anyway...
A five-room basement! WTF? :D

Good luck to you.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

Yeah, that's actually a 4-storey house, not that it looks it from the outside. Most of the properties around there seem to have basements. It appears to be the only place in south-west Wales with properties of the sort I've spent most of my life living in, typical of late victorian working class areas of towns.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

I once rented a 'four story' house like that in Bristol. The house was built on a slope, with the back yard a full story lower than the road at the front. It had a basement, it was basically a triangular void, steeply sloping earth/rock floor. Not desperately useful for storage as very damp.

This basement seems much more extensive, I wonder if it's really more like a 3 foot high crawl space though?
UndercoverElephant

clv101 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:02 pm I once rented a 'four story' house like that in Bristol. The house was built on a slope, with the back yard a full story lower than the road at the front. It had a basement, it was basically a triangular void, steeply sloping earth/rock floor. Not desperately useful for storage as very damp.

This basement seems much more extensive, I wonder if it's really more like a 3 foot high crawl space though?
There's a video of it on the rightmove page. It's basic, but looks perfectly good for storage. That is exactly what we will need.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

UndercoverElephant wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:14 pm
clv101 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:02 pm I once rented a 'four story' house like that in Bristol. The house was built on a slope, with the back yard a full story lower than the road at the front. It had a basement, it was basically a triangular void, steeply sloping earth/rock floor. Not desperately useful for storage as very damp.

There's a video of it on the rightmove page. It's basic, but looks perfectly good for storage. That is exactly what we will need.
If only you knew someone who could use it to grow mushrooms.......
UndercoverElephant

Catweazle wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:23 pm
UndercoverElephant wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:14 pm

If only you knew someone who could use it to grow mushrooms.......
If we planned on living there long term that would be a great idea, yes.