New coronavirus in/from China

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

clv101
Site Admin

Re: New coronavirus in/from China

Post by clv101 »

Indeed, we've been taking Vit D since *last* Feb, seemed sensible back then.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Snail wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:21 am https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=au6FKi8aAsA

A number of studies now confirming vit.d effectiveness.

An interesting presentation from a week or so ago by a somewhat perplexed Dr John Campbell.
I'm surprised more advice hasn't been given on vitamin D, it's not a new idea, people have been writing about this since it became obvious that black people were suffering more than white - vitamin D levels being different.

The studies were quite convincing early last year, and we've been taking it since.
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

Just a little anecdote.

A man from my village contracted Covid last Tuesday.
41, two young children, self employed tradesman.
Died this morning.

The numbers seem a bit more real when someone you know dies.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Stumuz2 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:48 pm Just a little anecdote.

A man from my village contracted Covid last Tuesday.
41, two young children, self employed tradesman.
Died this morning.

The numbers seem a bit more real when someone you know dies.
The number of people under 60, with no pre-exisisting comorbidities in the country who have died of Covid 19 is less than 400 last time I looked

With existing comorbidities, it is still fantastically tiny

These are facts. They are the real numbers.

What you have described is an anecdote and, in and of itself, does not tell you or anyone else anything about the numbers. The only thing that does that is statistics.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Vaccines: The Disinformation War:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000scy8

With millions now vaccinated, Panorama investigates the scare tactics of anti-vaxxers – who are they, and what are their motives for trying to deter people from getting the jab ?

I'm sure it's nothing we don't already know, but should be worth a watch....
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Little John wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:53 pm The number of people under 60, with no pre-exisisting comorbidities in the country who have died of Covid 19 is less than 400 last time I looked
Have you come across any figures for how many people have comorbidities ? I can't find a UK number anywhere. I've seen USA figures approaching 50%, it doesn't surprise me.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Catweazle wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:30 pm
Little John wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:53 pm The number of people under 60, with no pre-exisisting comorbidities in the country who have died of Covid 19 is less than 400 last time I looked
Have you come across any figures for how many people have comorbidities ? I can't find a UK number anywhere. I've seen USA figures approaching 50%, it doesn't surprise me.
It was admitted on the BBC news itself about a month ago in an unguarded interview.

Obviously, by now, it will have been sent down the memory hole
Little John

Post by Little John »

emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

Fascinating, thanks. I had vitamin D levels so low they didn't register - plus was suffering from frequent colds - in 2016, following an almost totally cloudy summer in 2015.

Taking a supplement ever since and my levels are perfect (87 nmol/l) with only 'normal' ill-health ever since. The possible covid prevention factor is a bonus.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Catweazle wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:08 pm

An interesting presentation from a week or so ago by a somewhat perplexed Dr John Campbell.
I'm surprised more advice hasn't been given on vitamin D, it's not a new idea, people have been writing about this since it became obvious that black people were suffering more than white - vitamin D levels being different.

The studies were quite convincing early last year, and we've been taking it since.
I also have been taking vitamin D for about a year.
Black people are indeed more vulnerable to the coronavirus, and this might well be due to vitamin D deficiency. Long before this pandemic some healthcare experts suggested that ALL black people in the UK should take vitamin D as a general health measure.

An alternative explanation has been offered, namely that similar pandemics may have occurred centuries ago, and that present day white European populations are therefore descended from the survivors of such historical pandemics.
Black people come largely from countries that had few large cities until recently, and therefore no ancient coronavirus pandemics, hence no inherited immunity.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Mark wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:19 pm Vaccines: The Disinformation War:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000scy8

With millions now vaccinated, Panorama investigates the scare tactics of anti-vaxxers – who are they, and what are their motives for trying to deter people from getting the jab ?

I'm sure it's nothing we don't already know, but should be worth a watch....
It's obvious who the anti vaccers are. It's the government who are trying to get rid of bolshy sods like LJ by putting them off getting vaccinated so they will die in larger numbers. They also happen to be the only people who will believe crap like that. ;-)
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

For all LJ's rhetoric, I expect he'll accept his jab next month.
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

My wife will be getting it next week. She is immunocompromised
Little John

Post by Little John »

clv101 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:58 pm For all LJ's rhetoric, I expect he'll accept his jab next month.
You really are a f***ing moron then
Mark

Post by Mark »

Little John wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:31 pm
clv101 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:58 pm For all LJ's rhetoric, I expect he'll accept his jab next month.
You really are a f***ing moron then
LJ, you're a Healthcare Worker, no ?
Do you accept that 'Refuseniks' pose a risk of making themselves ill and of infecting vulnerable clients/patients ?
Shirley that contradicts the whole ethos of the Health Service ?

Has your employer got any plans to make it a condition of employment that you have it ?
Or to Risk Assess you in order to limit your access to vulnerable clients/patients ?

Where does the legal liability lie if you infect somebody who then dies....?
In that event, I'm sure that person's family will view you as worse than a 'f***ing moron'....