New coronavirus in/from China

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

PS_RalphW

Re: New coronavirus in/from China

Post by PS_RalphW »

First member of sage team calls for delay of restritions being lifted on Monday as a result of the Indian variant. Now dominant strain in Bolton and some other areas.
From the guardian.

The only people I see in shops not wearing masks are the Asian staff who run the village shop
Mark

Post by Mark »

kenneal - lagger wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:02 am Mark, there's a Brexit post elsewhere for that sort of rubbish.
adam2 made a comment that Southern Europe has a flexible approach to health and safety re COVID.
I merely responded that with 127,000+ deaths - far worse that most comparable countries - we're in no position to criticise.

It wasn't a comment on Brexit - that's your interpretation on what I posted - you're the one with the problem ?
I've always been 'neutral' on EU membership, but that debate is long dead anyway.
As you say, there's another thread for Brexit consequences - positive & negative.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

PS_RalphW wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:13 am First member of sage team calls for delay of restritions being lifted on Monday as a result of the Indian variant. Now dominant strain in Bolton and some other areas.
From the guardian.

The only people I see in shops not wearing masks are the Asian staff who run the village shop
That the Indian strain has an R of something like 1.6, growing exponentially even with current restrictions and the current level of vaccination is very worrying. IF hospitalisations follow this starts to look like a whole new pandemic.
Potemkin Villager

Post by Potemkin Villager »

Mark wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:13 am
kenneal - lagger wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:02 am Mark, there's a Brexit post elsewhere for that sort of rubbish.
adam2 made a comment that Southern Europe has a flexible approach to health and safety re COVID.
I merely responded that with 127,000+ deaths - far worse that most comparable countries - we're in no position to criticise.

It wasn't a comment on Brexit - that's your interpretation on what I posted - you're the one with the problem ?
I've always been 'neutral' on EU membership, but that debate is long dead anyway.
As you say, there's another thread for Brexit consequences - positive & negative.
Yes I would be fascinated to hear a convincing explanation why Mark's comments are rubbish. Some folk seem to be highly emotionally attached to the notion that UK performance is in every way superior to the pathetic efforts of various untrustworthy and devious Johnny Foreigners.

I am not holding my breath ahead of the "independent" Public Enquiry now promised. I will predict now, with a very high degree of confidence, that it will be a drawn out, convoluted and expensive whitewash according to the appropriate BS!
The Stone Age represents 99.99% of mankind's existence on this planet. Francis Pryor
Mark

Post by Mark »

Potemkin Villager wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:00 pm Yes I would be fascinated to hear a convincing explanation why Mark's comments are rubbish. Some folk seem to be highly emotionally attached to the notion that UK performance is in every way superior to the pathetic efforts of various untrustworthy and devious Johnny Foreigners.

I am not holding my breath ahead of the "independent" Public Enquiry now promised. I will predict now, with a very high degree of confidence, that it will be a drawn out, convoluted and expensive whitewash according to the appropriate BS!
HMG's response has been a corrupt shambles, from PPE purchasing, to Test and Trace, to not stopping international flights etc. etc. etc. etc.
The only thing I think they did well was the rapid establishment of the Nightingale Hospitals.
It's only the vaccine programme that has saved us from far worse outcomes.
Despite minimal involvement, BoJo claims credit for that of course.....

So, we now get a Public Inquiry, which we should be happy about, but experience tells us that it will be like all the others....
As PV says, it will be an expensive whitewash - in 3/4/5 years it will make recommendations that regular posters on here could write today.
These will then mostly sit gathering dust, as by then the country/world will have moved on to the next chapter of our descent....
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

Sage meeting today to discuss Indian variant. June end to lockdown may be delayed.

Already spreading with an estimated R of 1.6 in London and elsewhere, will only accelerate with the easing due on Monday 17th May. Wife had second vaccine dose yesterday, daughters get their first today.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Potemkin Villager wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:00 pm ............... Yes I would be fascinated to hear a convincing explanation why Mark's comments are rubbish. .....
The rubbish that I was quoting was the attribution to Adam by Mark of the following thought process.
Yes, those dreadfully awful Europeans...... nothing like our superior British H&S
That attribution is, I think, entirely unjustified and rubbish, as I said.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Potemkin Villager

Post by Potemkin Villager »

Well I suppose you would say that Ken! Four legs good two legs bad.
The Stone Age represents 99.99% of mankind's existence on this planet. Francis Pryor
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

This Indian strain is looking a lot 'fitter' than our Kent strain (itself fitter than the original) - either it's more transmissible or escapes immunity, or both. No wonder India was hit bad.

The good news for the UK is that the vaccines really do seem to be working, those now being hospitalised tend to be those of an age to have been offered the jab but who haven't actually had it.

Bad news for other countries with largely unvaccinated populations.

Also, note, again, this was avoidable! If we hadn't had flights landing from India every day, if we'd actually bothered with proper quarantine, we'd have zero cases of this new strain from India. But, due to our incompetent, hard of learning government not only will it impact the UK, but we'll likely export it to others! :(
Mark

Post by Mark »

clv101 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:36 pm Also, note, again, this was avoidable! If we hadn't had flights landing from India every day, if we'd actually bothered with proper quarantine, we'd have zero cases of this new strain from India. But, due to our incompetent, hard of learning government not only will it impact the UK, but we'll likely export it to others! :(
+1
No evidence to prove it, so I might be peddling a conspiracy theory here....
But I still believe the delay was due to BoJo's planned trip to India to sign his wonderful Trade Deal...
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

clv101 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:36 pm Also, note, again, this was avoidable! If we hadn't had flights landing from India every day, if we'd actually bothered with proper quarantine, we'd have zero cases of this new strain from India. But, due to our incompetent, hard of learning government not only will it impact the UK, but we'll likely export it to others! :(
A little unfair. We are a global trading nation, very integrated travel with Europe. Reliant on thousands of ships, planes daily for supplies and commerce.
You seem to be advocating a New Zealand approach of cut yourself off from the world. But I agree with Prof' John Bell, Regius professor of medicine at Oxford University,
"They have got quite a lot of sheep in New Zealand and they are a million miles from anywhere."

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/v ... 391719608/
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

New Zealand certainly has fewer points of entry than the UK but there is also a more effective border control in NZ or Australia and the border is taken very seriously. To get into both countries you need a visa, there is no turn up and get in. If you don't have the visa you don't board the plane. The border control was also aimed at quarantining animal diseases so there were the manpower to search and question almost everybody. I am not sure about the sheep comment and what he meant.
I still think there is more to it than that in why Australia and NZ have had less Covid than the UK. I think it may be due to a more outdoor lifestyle or a higher UV index outside. So what is bad for getting skin cancer may well be good for stopping Covid.
G'Day cobber!
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

from the guardian
Accordingly, the SAGE modelling group (SPI-M) updated their projections for the roadmap outlining the opening up of society and the economy. If a new variant that is 30-40% more transmissible than B.1.1.7 becomes dominant in the UK, we could see a wave that is as bad as the January surge – even if vaccines remain as effective against B.1.617.2 as they are against B.1.1.7. If B.1.617.2 is even mildly resistant to the vaccines as well as being more transmissible, proceeding with the roadmap could result in a new wave of infections considerably worse than was seen in January. ...
Indian variant now found in Cambridge and probably most other cities in the country.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

BritDownUnder wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:57 am ............. I am not sure about the sheep comment and what he meant.
NZ have all the lamb that they could want to eat. They aren't going hungry in a hurry. Unlike us!
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I saw a news reporter shocked at the Indian death rate of 4000 souls per day, but from a population of nearly 1.4 Billion that's actually considerably less, per capita, than we had in the UK.

Obviously it's still an awful number, and I suspect the true number will be worse.