New coronavirus in/from China

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

adam2
Site Admin

Re: New coronavirus in/from China

Post by adam2 »

I have not had a scam phone call for days.
Used to get several a day, usually about a non existent account with the dodgy tax avoiding outfit, or about my internet service.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Looks like Chile is having some problems with a new Covid variant arising from Brazil as well as having used mainly Chinese vaccines which seem to be less effective than other vaccines.
G'Day cobber!
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

Guardian reports that at least one Indian variant will become VOC tomorrow as it is now in the wild in the UK and doubling every 7 days, and due to be the dominant strain in London in a month. It appears to be partially resistant to current vaccines, but the vaccines do reduce disease severity. It is now beyond reach of surge testing to control.

The news was delayed because the government did not want the spectre of more covid restrictions appearing on election day.

A lot of the scientific observers are screaming 'I told you so!' before bursting into tears {OK I made that bit up}
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

And worse it will get when the Brits get the chance to go abroad for a week or two.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Stumuz2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:05 am And worse it will get when the Brits get the chance to go abroad for a week or two.
If those abroad will take us.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

"green list" of countries to which travel is permitted without quarantine on return now published.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57019702

I liked the complaint that this list excludes "popular holiday destinations" Rather missing the point that the green list is meant to be based on relative risk, not on popularity.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

kenneal - lagger wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:03 pm
Stumuz2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:05 am And worse it will get when the Brits get the chance to go abroad for a week or two.
They will ! Most of the popular holiday destinations in Southern Europe have a flexible approach to health and safety, and will consider attracting tourist money to be more important than the loss of a few low status staff.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Another twist in the ever changing COVID story.....

Mucormycosis: The 'black fungus' maiming Covid patients in India:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-57027829
Potemkin Villager

Post by Potemkin Villager »

adam2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:30 pm
kenneal - lagger wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:03 pm
They will ! Most of the popular holiday destinations in Southern Europe have a flexible approach to health and safety, and will consider attracting tourist money to be more important than the loss of a few low status staff.
St Helena, Ascension Island or the Falklands anybody?
The Stone Age represents 99.99% of mankind's existence on this planet. Francis Pryor
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

I hear Gibraltar has 100% vaccination rate now with the Falklands not far behind. Two places I have always wanted to go were South Georgia and Pitcairn.
G'Day cobber!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

BritDownUnder wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:26 pm I hear Gibraltar has 100% vaccination rate now with the Falklands not far behind. Two places I have always wanted to go were South Georgia and Pitcairn.
New Zealand would do me as I can go out to watch rugby there and their covid rates, population density and isolation are good enough for me.
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

http://www.healthdata.org/special-analy ... -19-deaths

Analysis of global excess deaths caused directly or indirectly by covid 19. This is done by looking at data from countries with accurate reporting and extrapolating to demographically similar countries with incomplete or inaccurate reporting.

Figures include indirect deaths caused by lack of care in overwhelmed health services and by suicide and alcoholism etc., but offset by reduced deaths from accidents, influenza and other infectious diseases etc.

The headline figure is that total deaths are now almost 7 million, more than double the official figure of over 3 million. Also, the daily under reporting is getting bigger, as the new variants are getting a grip in India and elsewhere.

This is of course a very early bit of work which will be refined in the coming years, but I do not think it is that far wrong.

Current daily global deaths now estimated at over 30,000

Now there are reports of hundreds of bodies are washing up on the banks of the Ganges as people who cannot burn their dead put them straight into the holy river
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

And some bodies that have been partially cremated are also washing up .
"Partial" cremation results from use of insufficient wood for a fierce, and all consuming fire, or from heavy rain during cremation.
Mark

Post by Mark »

adam2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:30 pm Most of the popular holiday destinations in Southern Europe have a flexible approach to health and safety, and will consider attracting tourist money to be more important than the loss of a few low status staff.
Yes, those dreadfully awful Europeans...... nothing like our superior British H&S, with our 127,000+ deaths, transferring known COVID patients into Care Homes, eat out to help out schemes, Christmas get-togethers, international flights, football matches, horse race meetings, etc. etc.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Mark, there's a Brexit post elsewhere for that sort of rubbish.