Looks like a potentially severe drought coming

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

BritDownUnder

Re: Looks like a potentially severe drought coming

Post by BritDownUnder »

Catweazle wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:36 pm
BritDownUnder wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 am Solar farms take all the light (and maybe heat too) from an area so people, especially poor churchgoing people, may freeze to death. I have even heard it said that cows will spontaneously abort their calves when the shadow of such an abomination falls across them.
It's worse than that, the electricity generated from sunlight is hotter than conventionally generated electricity, because the Sun is hotter than coal burning. If you have too much solar electricity mixed with your normal electricity your heaters and bulbs can overheat, potentially causing fires.

Smart meters automatically restrict the amount of hot electricity coming into your premises by passing some of through the Earth wire, where it cools down, but older types cannot do it. Beware.
Off topic again but I should have added that this light and heat is then shipped away from the area of the solar farm and into the homes of Democrat/Labour voters far away to the detriment of the locals.

Back on topic maybe there is a change afoot in the weather. I have not noticed changes in Australia but I have not really been here long enough. Some say there is a drying trend particularly around Perth WA.
G'Day cobber!
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

It has been quite dry and sunny here in west Wales recently. I would normally be cursing it for overheating the polytunnel, but due to the ongoing avian flu restrictions all my birds are in there and nothing has been planted inside. I've been moving soil to make some new raised beds, the soil is quite dry in the top 100mm but moist underneath. The spring is still running well, but has slowed to a trickle in previous summers - I really should make more effort to store water, rats chewed holes through the polythene sheet I lined my DIY pond with.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Catweazle wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 pm.................rats chewed holes through the polythene sheet I lined my DIY pond with.
We have found that a couple of feral cats sort that problem out although they do reduce the number of birds as well. When it got to the stage that rats could be seen in our fruit trees munching away and they invaded the house as well we went to the Cats Protection League and asked for a couple of feral cats and were provided with four, two older and two younger ones. The older cats moved on but the younger ones are still around, being fed but doing their job very well.

We used to have a pair of wagtails chasing insects around the house every year but I haven't seen them for a couple of years now, unfortunately. We still do get plenty of birds but not ones that spend much time on the ground around the house. We do have a pair of blackbirds nesting in a large oak tree in the garden but rarely see them on the ground in the garden. Unfortunately, fewer rats is more important to us than a lot of birds on the ground.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

adam2 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:28 am I seem to recall a politician objecting to the water "wasted" by either the CAT funicular or by the Lynton one, he suggested that this "waste" could be reduced by requiring that each passenger going up be required to carry a bucket of water up, this to be tipped into the upper reservoir.
I feer that the suggestion was serious.
He was probably an economist rather than an engineer, Adam. Not a lot of coherent thought comes from most economists, unfortunately.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

kenneal - lagger wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:47 pm
Catweazle wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 pm.................rats chewed holes through the polythene sheet I lined my DIY pond with.
We have found that a couple of feral cats sort that problem out although they do reduce the number of birds as well. When it got to the stage that rats could be seen in our fruit trees munching away and they invaded the house as well we went to the Cats Protection League and asked for a couple of feral cats and were provided with four, two older and two younger ones. The older cats moved on but the younger ones are still around, being fed but doing their job very well.

We used to have a pair of wagtails chasing insects around the house every year but I haven't seen them for a couple of years now, unfortunately. We still do get plenty of birds but not ones that spend much time on the ground around the house. We do have a pair of blackbirds nesting in a large oak tree in the garden but rarely see them on the ground in the garden. Unfortunately, fewer rats is more important to us than a lot of birds on the ground.
I find a rimfire rifle does the trick, especially since I mounted a Yukon night vision monocular and infra-red torch on it. Some of the rats I've shot are too big for my cats to handle.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Rats only live for a couple of years so if cats take the younger more naive ones the bigger ones soon die off leaving no replacements. And cats work for almost 24 hours a day unlike your rifle.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

kenneal - lagger wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:47 pm...cats work for almost 24 hours a day...
Mine don't. Perhaps I feed them too much :wink:

They do manage baby rats, mice, voles, birds, rabbits and occasionally bats. My collie lurcher catches the odd rabbit but isn't interested in rats, unlike my deceased doberman who would happily kill them at every opportunity.
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

emordnilap wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:52 pm Back on topic...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... d-24042021

No change. Still no rain in the long-term forecast, and northerly winds.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

A rare east wind for us and humidity was down to 33% today!
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

UndercoverElephant wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:46 pm
emordnilap wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:52 pm Back on topic...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... d-24042021

No change. Still no rain in the long-term forecast, and northerly winds.
Yeah, our second day of promised 'rain' (mizzle really) never materialised. So now we're at a month with no rain to speak of. Our tanks are almost empty and no rain forecast for several days.

At least I know my vitamin D levels are good.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

I had my tanks topped up before the "drought" so we've got plenty of water for the moment. We've also got the grandchildren's swimming/paddling pool ( about 6cu m)to empty of last years water which has gone quite green by now. That's going onto the potato beds which we have just mulched with about 100mm (4in) of well rotted, about three years, mixed gorse clippings and mixed hay and cattle manure from a feed area on the common. I wanted to water the bed and then mulch it but things didn't work out that way.

I am going to collect at least another trailer full of the common muck but I will mix a lot of wood ash into it because the PH is only 6 and needs to be a lot higher than that for most stuff in the garden. At the rate that I am using it there will be enough to last about 10 years!! And we have the collecting yard to scrape yet. I have a source of manure that is available in slightly smaller quantities so I may just lay out some cardboard on some empty ground and put a thick mulch onto that to produce some more beds for a few years time.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

1 day of April showers and back to the dry again. This is getting serious.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Same here but extensive heavy rain is forecast for, wait for it........, the Bank Holiday! :D

We can but hope.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

emordnilap wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:26 pm 1 day of April showers and back to the dry again. This is getting serious.
It's been the frostiest April since 1970. Not good for my fruit trees. I had a huge crop of cherries last year but hardly any plums. The year before it was the other way around. Given a choice I'd have plums, they make a fantastic jam combined with raspberries.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Our plum blossom looks to have been frosted and we haven't had many bees flying most of the time that the rest of the blossom has been in flower because of the cold. So I'll have to wait for a while to see what comes of the early blossom. Our apple blossom is only just appearing so I hope that that isn't washed away in next week's wet and windy weather. Who said that more carbon in the atmosphere leads to more plant growth?

We make Victoria plum jam and raspberry jam but I'll forgo mixing the two as they are lovely on their own thank you!