New coronavirus in/from China

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Mark

Re: New coronavirus in/from China

Post by Mark »

adam2 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:56 pmAnd rather O/T but to illustrate the point about regulations and restrictions, did you know that the MOT testing and examination of road vehicles was meant to be a SHORT TERM measure ! Introduced shortly after the war to get all the "old and bodged pre-war bangers of the roads" Support the UK motor industry and buy a new or late model used car.
Yet now, the MOT test is regarded as a vital part of government,and has become steadily more complex.
& William Pitt introduced Income Tax in 1799 as a temporary measure to fund the war against Napoleon......
Don't think that's going away any time soon.....
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

And then after everyone has forgotten about the PRESENT pandemic,
Nobody is going to forget the last 12 months in a hurry.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

MOT and income tax? What's the morale here, that it takes extreme situations to introduce what in hindsight are perfectly sensible policies.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

I think there is probably a significant amount of revenue raising in such 'government ideas for the public safety' as well, even MOTs as well as the more obvious income tax.

I think that stamp duty was originally meant to cover the cost of the stamping of legal documents by the government but can now be 3%? of the cost of a one million pound house so 30,000 pounds. They even have stamp duty on property sales here in Australia but strangely not in New Zealand.

No doubt the 'administration fee' on Covid 'passports' will be a nice earner too.
G'Day cobber!
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

The Indian strain, which appears to be behind the explosion of cases in India (60% of sequenced cases) has been found in 77 cases in the UK, overtaking confirmed SA cases. As yet, I don't think it has been designated a 'variant of concern' and I do not know if it is triggering surge testing.
dustiswhatweare

Post by dustiswhatweare »

As the owner of a holiday accommodation business in the South West I can say that all this going on about holiday accommodation being fully booked and people being ok with staycations is nonsense. Bookings are up on pre-covid levels but it's absolutely not a landslide, as it was last year. People are holding off and given the slightest hint of an opportunity to get on a plane will do so.
There is much talking up, but the bookings are not there.
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

Chile is a country to watch. They have vaccinated 30% with one dose of a Chinese vaccine (killed virus type, but only 50-60% effective against original virus after 2 jabs in testing). However they have exponentially rising cases, to a new peak, after summer holiday season and presumably a lot of contact with the Brazilian strain.

Not all vaccines and not all virii are equal.
dustiswhatweare

Regarding the efficiency of 'quarantine' arrangements, my son has recently returned from Sweden having been working there. He paid £200+ for a couple of virus testing kits that he arranged to be delivered to his quarantine address, to be taken at intervals before his release into the general population. They never arrived. Good luck to him getting his cash back ho ho. I do wonder if some 'Dido-ish' organisation is cleaning up on this sort of thing.
My wife sauntered into the local Boots and waltzed away with several test kits at no charge for him to use instead.
It's all a balls up.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Did your son get his test kits online, Dusti? If so it could be just another online scam. Tell him to keep an eye on his card outgoings if so.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Lurkalot2

Post by Lurkalot2 »

dustiswhatweare wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:33 am As the owner of a holiday accommodation business in the South West I can say that all this going on about holiday accommodation being fully booked and people being ok with staycations is nonsense. Bookings are up on pre-covid levels but it's absolutely not a landslide, as it was last year. People are holding off and given the slightest hint of an opportunity to get on a plane will do so.
Interesting to hear your take on this. There was a tv news report yesterday or perhaps the day before that talked of people offering to pay over the odds for accommodation , even offering to effectively guzump already booked places.
dustiswhatweare

Lurkalot2 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:12 pm
dustiswhatweare wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:33 am As the owner of a holiday accommodation business in the South West I can say that all this going on about holiday accommodation being fully booked and people being ok with staycations is nonsense. Bookings are up on pre-covid levels but it's absolutely not a landslide, as it was last year. People are holding off and given the slightest hint of an opportunity to get on a plane will do so.
Interesting to hear your take on this. There was a tv news report yesterday or perhaps the day before that talked of people offering to pay over the odds for accommodation , even offering to effectively guzump already booked places.
That's not happening around here (Devon & Cornwall), maybe the Lake District. There was an article in the Telegraph a few days ago by Lucy something or other saying only 3% of accommodation left down here. Utter tosh. The other half wrote Lucy Wotsit a very stiff missive telling her to do some actual reporting rather than regurgitating some press release or other. Like I say, lots of talking it up which is a bit of a desperate strategy because all it's going to do is drive people abroad the minute that idiot Grant Shapps or one of the other 10th raters opens their gob.
dustiswhatweare

kenneal - lagger wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 pm Did your son get his test kits online, Dusti? If so it could be just another online scam. Tell him to keep an eye on his card outgoings if so.
Interesting. I shall ask him where and how, though he would not have been given entry without coughing up.
Lurkalot2

Post by Lurkalot2 »

dustiswhatweare wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:42 pm The other half wrote Lucy Wotsit a very stiff missive telling her to do some actual reporting rather than regurgitating some press release or other.
Lazy ,unprofessional reporting , well that's a complete surprise to us all.
Mark

Post by Mark »

clv101 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:06 pm Have a read of this: https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1 ... 27595?s=19

And India isn't on UK red list!
Could the Indian 'double mutant' coronavirus derail Britain's roadmap out of lockdown ?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ation.html
Prof Altmann said he found it 'mystifying' and 'slightly confounding' that those flying in from India were not required to stay in a hotel. Public Health England said the strain - known as B.1.617 - was under investigation 'due to sustained international transmission'. Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia, said the variant featured two 'escape mutations' – E484Q and L452R. These essentially make its easier for the virus to slip past antibodies - which a person can get through vaccinations or previous infection. Professor Hunter told ITV: 'There's laboratory evidence that both of these are escape mutations. 'Basically, applying what we know about other human coronaviruses would suggest that this is going to be even less controlled by vaccine. 'But we don't know that for certain at the moment.' Despite the concern, India is not currently on the Government's 'red list' for travel.

How many people in the UK have been infected with it ?
77 people so far, according to a report published on April 15. Their locations are unknown.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

dustiswhatweare wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:42 pm
Lurkalot2 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:12 pm
That's not happening around here (Devon & Cornwall), maybe the Lake District. There was an article in the Telegraph a few days ago by Lucy something or other saying only 3% of accommodation left down here. Utter tosh. The other half wrote Lucy Wotsit a very stiff missive telling her to do some actual reporting rather than regurgitating some press release or other. Like I say, lots of talking it up which is a bit of a desperate strategy because all it's going to do is drive people abroad the minute that idiot Grant Shapps or one of the other 10th raters opens their gob.
I had a guy wanting to rent my place for 12 weeks yesterday - couldn't do it, June July August already sold. We have guests in now.