New coronavirus in/from China

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

clv101
Site Admin

Re: New coronavirus in/from China

Post by clv101 »

The disconnect between the UK's 'irreversible' dash for normality and the reality on the ground in Brazil and India is stark. If we don't test, trace and isolate effectively and don't take international travel including mandatory isolation seriously Covid will be back.

We totally failed to capitalise on last summer's opportunity to ~eliminate then control the virus, costing 10s thousands of lives and £billions in economic damage. Let's not screw it up *again*.
Mark

Post by Mark »

PS_RalphW wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:08 am Larger cluster of SA variant now in London. Expect numbers to rise rapidly now that shops pubs and gyms are open. We are going to find out if the AZ vaccine protects the old the hard way.
The Department of Health reported 44 confirmed cases of the SA variant yesterday - predominantly in Wandsworth and Lambeth. A further 30 probable cases have also been identified. It said all those who have tested positive for the variant, with the first case in the area being found in early March, are isolating or have completed their isolation, and their contacts have been traced and asked to isolate.

So....., will the £37 billion spent on Test and Trace work this time around....??
Place your bets......, with Lambeth/Wandsworth being relatively poor areas, and the problems accessing the £500 Test and Trace support payment, and everywhere opening up again.......

I'm with Ralph, suspect we'll find out how effective the vaccines are against it soon enough....
dustiswhatweare

Post by dustiswhatweare »

There seem to be 3 themes running through HMG's mind here:

1. Reality is what we say it is, it's f... all to do with the actuality
2. How much (more £) can we give to our pals before this opportunity has gone
3. Boris likes to wear a lab coat when he's not in hi-viz.
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

clv101 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:30 am The disconnect between the UK's 'irreversible' dash for normality and the reality on the ground in Brazil and India is stark. If we don't test, trace and isolate effectively and don't take international travel including mandatory isolation seriously Covid will be back.
Personally I think we will probably be OK provided international travel is restricted. My worry is that eventually we will end up in a situation where new variants of covid are appearing in multiple parts of the world which can't afford to vaccinate their population, so it is a long-term threat. The only way to neutralise that threat would be to restrict international travel for the long term. And I doubt whether the UK government has the stomach to do that, given how unpopular it is likely to be.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

I would say that international travel is now a thing of the past, perhaps I should say international travel made on a whim. Countries (like Brazil) and maybe even whole continents (like Africa or the Indian subcontinent) will now be simply cut off from access to the UK except via quarantine, not in the name of racism you understand but of medical hygiene. The BNP will be ecstatic about this - and why not. During the lockdown there has been no terrorism, illegal immigration has probably been cut off in a big way and the money flowing out of the UK to Spain and Greece by holidaymakers has been cut off. What's not to like. It will be like the 1950s and going to Blackpool for a day at the seaside once a year. Maybe even all powered by renewable energy.

Regarding the Coronavirus, it is the same virus category as the flu, always mutating, needing a new vaccine every year for each new type. Dr Fauci said that for a virus to mutate it need to replicate.

In many respects Little John was quite right. Things have changed and they might not change back.
G'Day cobber!
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

The SA variant is already widespread and rapidly becoming dominant in France. The Brazilian variant is spreading in the US and they have started relaxing lockdown in some states where infection numbers are rising rapidly. They are not doing much variant monitoring. We are not shutting ourselves off from those countries for long. The vast majority of international flights are made by 20% of the UK population taking multiple annual jaunts. If that is sharply curtailed it will be excellent for CO2 emissions. It will take a few years, but covid will evolve into a less deadly form, managed like the flu with annual vaccines that top up our herd immunity. We will have to adapt to a more socially distanced life for some time yet. Sweden, poster child of the the anti lockdowners, currently has the highest infection rate in Europe, overtaking the Chechia.
UndercoverElephant

BritDownUnder wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:57 pm It will be like the 1950s and going to Blackpool for a day at the seaside once a year.
Not just once a year, by the looks of it. My wife (who has posted in this thread) works for the tourism section of Hastings Borough Council. Usually her job is trying to promote the area, to bring more tourists in. That has all changed now. Now we're trying to deflect people from the most popular attractions, especially during peak times, so they'll visit other places and during the week. It's the same in every seaside town in the UK, many of which have been in long-term decline for a very long time.

However, the population itself has certainly not resigned itself to the end of international holidays. They feel extremely deprived, and are fully expecting that this year is an aberration, not the new rule.
UndercoverElephant

dustiswhatweare wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:57 pm There seem to be 3 themes running through HMG's mind here:

I think they're back in "herd immunity" mode. This time, they hope, the majority of the people who get infected won't actually end up in hospital.
Potemkin Villager

Post by Potemkin Villager »

UndercoverElephant wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:13 am
dustiswhatweare wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:57 pm There seem to be 3 themes running through HMG's mind here:

I think they're back in "herd immunity" mode. This time, they hope, the majority of the people who get infected won't actually end up in hospital.
I have in my mind the image of Bojo in a white coat at a hospital bedside for yet another cynical photo opportunity looking genuinely puzzled at the very negative reaction of the poor victim who has been selected for such a singular honour.....
The Stone Age represents 99.99% of mankind's existence on this planet. Francis Pryor
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Friends went to a zoo yesterday and it was crowded with no social distancing and few masks worn. The next lockdown will be along soon.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Have a read of this: https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1 ... 27595?s=19

And India isn't on UK red list!
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

Surge testing extended to Lambeth and Wandsworth. How long before London goes back into lockdown?
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

BritDownUnder wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:57 pm I would say that international travel is now a thing of the past, perhaps I should say international travel made on a whim. Countries (like Brazil) and maybe even whole continents (like Africa or the Indian subcontinent) will now be simply cut off from access to the UK except via quarantine, not in the name of racism you understand but of medical hygiene. The BNP will be ecstatic about this - and why not. During the lockdown there has been no terrorism, illegal immigration has probably been cut off in a big way and the money flowing out of the UK to Spain and Greece by holidaymakers has been cut off. What's not to like. It will be like the 1950s and going to Blackpool for a day at the seaside once a year. Maybe even all powered by renewable energy.

Regarding the Coronavirus, it is the same virus category as the flu, always mutating, needing a new vaccine every year for each new type. Dr Fauci said that for a virus to mutate it need to replicate.

In many respects Little John was quite right. Things have changed and they might not change back.
I largely agree, LJ was arguably right in some respects, especially WRT the errosion of civil liberties and risks that such may become pemanent. The problem was not the VIEWS but the often intemperate ways in which these were expressed.

"During lockdown there has been no (significant) terrorism" True, but not IMHO due to excluding terrorists, they are probably already here. Lack of crowds to attack, and lockdown making planning an attack harder.

The reduction in international travel is in my view welcome for several reasons, less use of carbon intensive air travel, more UK money staying in the UK, and less risk of importing infection.

At a time of rising unemployment, more employment in the UK hospitality and leisure sector is welcome.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
UndercoverElephant

So people think that the international travel restrictions are here to stay? Very interesting if true. Will also come as a big shock to Joe and Josephine Public, who are currently expecting everything to get back to normal by next year at the latest. I remain skeptical. I think the government will let people go on their foreign holidays next year, as a result of public pressure.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

I expect SOME relaxing of international travel restrictions, followed by an increase in imported infections and the re-imposing of restrictions.

And then after everyone has forgotten about the PRESENT pandemic, there will be a new one. The TPTB tend like regulations and restrictions for there own sake.

And rather O/T but to illustrate the point about regulations and restrictions, did you know that the MOT testing and examination of road vehicles was meant to be a SHORT TERM measure ! Introduced shortly after the war to get all the "old and bodged pre-war bangers of the roads" Support the UK motor industry and buy a new or late model used car.
Yet now, the MOT test is regarded as a vital part of government,and has become steadily more complex.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"