Stockpiling against future shortages

What changes can we make to our lives to deal with the economic and energy crises ahead? Have you already started making preparations? Got tips to share?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

adam2
Site Admin

Stockpiling against future shortages

Post by adam2 »

As I have posted elswhere on these forums, I am a great believer in stocking up for future shortages. Whilst I believe a sudden crash or collapse is possible, I believe that an economic deppresion is more likely, if this happens many everyday items will become unafforadable, as was the case in the 1930s. Remember that in the great deppresion there was no shortage of food, shoes, blankets etc, yet many went cold, hungry and unshod for want of money to purchase these items.
Whilst savings might help, there are the risks of inflation, devaluation and bank failures to contend with.

Here is the list of my stockpile, as requested.

FOOD ; about 300 assorted cans, all things I use regularly. Dried pasta, about 20 kilos. Dried beans, about 20 kilos. Chocolate bars about 5 kilos. 10 jars each of peanut butter, chocolate spread, marmalade, jam, dried milk, honey, marmite. 25L cooking oil, 10kilos sugar, 1 kilo salt. 20 large jars instant coffee, 2000 tea bags. Also as much fresh fruit and veg as can be kept without risking waste or spoilage.
50 bottles of spirits, 1,000 cigarettes (mainly for barter or trade)

WATER, AND MEANS OF PROCURING. 100L bottled water, 2,000 water purification tablets,chlorine test papers, 2 katadyn water filters, water butts, hand pump, assorted hose and fittings.

LIGHTING several Tilley lamps with spare parts, hurricane lamps with spare wicks,parafin table lamps,20 cheap torches and several good ones, 100 chemical lightsticks, flourescent lanterns, home made LED lights that give a years light from 3 D cells. Batteries, 200 AA, 100 C, 200 D, 6 AD28, 25 9 VOLT, and limited stocks of other types.
Spare stocks of light bulbs, especialy non standard types that may be in future short supply. 100 Kilos of candles. H.I.D. spotlight. Spare PV modules and charge controllers.

FUEL/HEATING/COOKING parrafin stove, liard fire box, barbecue. 100L of parafin, 20 L of petrol, 20L of diesel. Assorted gas cartridges, charcoal, firewood. thermos flasks, hot water bottles. Electric slow cooker, 600 watt electric kettle.

CLOTHING 100 each of underpants, pairs of socks, t-shirts/short sleeve vests. 25 each of trousers, sweatshirts, pullovers, long underwear. 5 bathrobes, 10 nightshirts, 10 pairs pajamas.
10 pairs shoes, 3 pairs boots, 3 pairs wellingtons. Assorted overalls and workwear, in both dayglo orange (safer on unlight roads) and navy blue(for keeping a low profile). 4 duffle coats.

BEDLINEN ETC at least 25 each of sheets, blankets, pillowcases, bath towels, hand towels. Spare pillows.

TOOLS ETC. Large selection of hand and power tools, with particular emphasis on those that wear out such as drill bits and saw blades. Solar charger for cordless tool batteries. soldering irons (gas, electric, and conventional) parrafin blowlamp, gas blowlamp. hot glue gun. Electrical test meters, including analogue ones that dont need batteries.
spare tin openers and other kitchen tools. Swiss army knives, Leatherman tools. Jerry cans and a sack barrow to move them, folding plastic crates.

MISC. CONSUMABLES AND SUPPLIES; electrical solder, plumbers solder and flux, glues, adhesives and sealants of all types. Insulating tape, duct tape. Ropes, tarpaulins, assorted nails, screws, nuts and bolts, hooks and other fixings, cable ties. Spare plumbing and electrical fittings, electric cable.

COMMUNICATIONS direct dial landline phone, dial up internet, 3 cellphones on different networks, two way radios, signal lamp. Digital and analogue radios. Battery tv.

MISC SAFETY/SECURITY EQUIPMENT. first aid kits, common home medications, spare spectacles. Fire extinguishers, fire blankets, sand buckets. handcuffs. Blackout material for windows, to keep a low profile if required. Several geiger counters.

The above is not all kept in one place, it is divided between my home, my mothers home, and my work place.
I also keep some limited supplies at a friends home.

EDITED for typos and the bits I forgot.
Last edited by adam2 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Totally_Baffled

Post by Totally_Baffled »

Adam - you have just made me feel incredibly unprepared! :shock:

Nice list!
TB

Peak oil? ahhh smeg..... :(
stumuz

Post by stumuz »

An indispensable piece of advice for successful stockpiling, for a better life.

Stockpiling is a mixture of getting what you actually use which is juxtaposition to what will keep successfully for quite some time. There is also the issue of optimisation of purchasing power as measured by the quantity and quality of products and services you can buy.

So far so good.

The establishments which serve these needs well are the ones frequented from members of a certain socio economic group. I will not say which this group is but they tend to breed in large numbers and adorn their offspring with names such as ?Chardonnay? ?Dwayne? and ?Kylie?.

The secret of contracting with these establishments, which tend to have short names, is to bring your conveyance to the place of contracting on a Wednesday morning.
The reason for this is simple; the working class are at work. The under class do not generally get their handouts until the Thursday.

This way you get to go around the establishment in peace and harmony, with your huge lists without any chav asking,

??whot?d yer need all vem tins of tmatos fer?

And you will be spared the basic human riposte of

?? go away and mind your own business you smelly individual, and by the way the Sunny delight and Pringles are in another aisle.

Hope this helps.
careful_eugene

Post by careful_eugene »

stumuz wrote:

?? go away and mind your own business you smelly individual, and by the way the Sunny delight and Pringles are in another aisle.

Hope this helps.
Hmmm Pringles. Do they have a long shelf life? Post peak world would be a lot more bearable with pringles.
Paid up member of the Petite bourgeoisie
stumuz

Post by stumuz »

careful_eugene wrote:
stumuz wrote:

Hope this helps.
Hmmm Pringles. Do they have a long shelf life? Post peak world would be a lot more bearable with pringles.
They are very salty, so would make you need to stockpile more water...

However, the containers are excellent for storing dried mushrooms for a very long time.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

stumuz wrote:
careful_eugene wrote:
stumuz wrote:

Hope this helps.

However, the containers are excellent for storing dried mushrooms for a very long time.
My irony meter has gone into the red.

Pringles, along with thousands of other totally unnecessary 'products' I can think of, constitute a significant part of the reason why you've been forced into thinking about stockpiling.
jonny2mad

Post by jonny2mad »

well I was going to advise a bug out kit stored in something like a bergan but you might not be fit enough to carry one , a four wheeled pram might be another idea or a moped .
The kit would include all you need for a few weeks on the road sleeping bag maybe a tent or bivy bag, kip mat ,food something to cook in maybe a small kelly kettle or a trangia kettle and stove.
you could scan things like important papers and family photos and put them on a disc .

bugging out may be a last choice option but it could happen to anyone even in things like fires having important gear ready to go is smart.
Erik

Post by Erik »

stumuz wrote:
careful_eugene wrote:
stumuz wrote:

Hope this helps.

There is a forum for EVERYTHING. Perhaps you could post your er "dried mushroom" idea here: Uses for Pringles Cans
My children and I use them to make solar hot dog cookers. Cut out a rectangle the less than half the size of the can but large enough to let lots of sun shine through, put clear oven bag cut to size over the hole (or clear acetate) and tape it in place. Poke a hole in the center of the lid, and in the center of the bottom. Insert a skewer. Ta-da! A hot dog solar cooker. To use it, put the skewer through the hole in the bottom of the can, poke it through a hot dog and then through the hole in the lid. Place in the bright sun for an hour or so, and you have a nice little lunch or snack, have done an educational project and not used any power, except from the sun!
and the list goes on for ever:
They make great molds for homemade soap too. Easy to remove the soap after it is set and makes great round bars of soap.
I have a home daycare and use them to store all kinds of craft things. Also, you can fill with your own potato chips for outings and picnics and they won't get crushed. I squirt a little dish soap inside, put on the lid, shake, rinse, and you are all set.
I heard they are good for extending the range of your wireless network.
I use the pringles can to store knitting and crochet needles
I wonder if they would be good to store spaghetti in?
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

bobthebaker wrote:it's Adam's handcuffs that intrigue me :wink:

If I get the time I may add to that list.
In an emergency one may have to defend ones person, family and property from looters etc. There are many ways of subdueing a baddie, but then what?
In some extreme cases it may be justifiable to kill them out of hand, but if that is too extreme, then hand cuffs could be very useful whilst awaiting the arrival of law enforcement, or neighbours etc.
In the event of a near total collapse, then an improvised jury trial by neighbours etc, would probably be considered more ethical them summary justice.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

adam2 wrote:

In an emergency one may have to defend ones person, family and property from looters etc. There are many ways of subdueing a baddie, but then what?
In some extreme cases it may be justifiable to kill them out of hand, but if that is too extreme, then hand cuffs could be very useful whilst awaiting the arrival of law enforcement, or neighbours etc.
In the event of a near total collapse, then an improvised jury trial by neighbours etc, would probably be considered more ethical them summary justice.
Cable ties would make cheap alternatives which also have other uses:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?cri ... ce=15&SD=Y
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

jonny2mad wrote:well I was going to advise a bug out kit stored in something like a bergan but you might not be fit enough to carry one , a four wheeled pram might be another idea or a moped .
The kit would include all you need for a few weeks on the road sleeping bag maybe a tent or bivy bag, kip mat ,food something to cook in maybe a small kelly kettle or a trangia kettle and stove.
you could scan things like important papers and family photos and put them on a disc .

bugging out may be a last choice option but it could happen to anyone even in things like fires having important gear ready to go is smart.
I keep bug out kits at work (two different work locations) and at home, these are however quite basic and are intended more for walking to/from home, or having to shelter in a public building etc. from some short term emergency.
These kits have to be kept fairly small and light for two reasons, firstly I am not that fit, and secondly I would take the supplies with me, if possible, in the event of an evacuation, due to terrorism, flood, fire, chemical spill etc.

The contents are
Bottled water, 2 L. water purification tablets 1 pack of 100, chlorine test papers.
1 packet cheese biscuits,1 pack chocolate biscuits, 2 bars chocolate.
2 AA minmaglites, 1 fitted with led bulb, 1 osram pocket flourescent lantern, 12 lithium AA cells.
Transistor radio, geiger counter, 4 spare 9 volt batteries. chemical lightsticks.
Travel first aid supplies, painkilling tablets, anti diarhroa tablets, anti bacterial handsoap.
Candles, matches, lighters.
Pens, pencils, notebook, blackboard chalk. Spare keys, £25 in change, telephone card.
Swiss army knife, insulated pliers, insulated electrical screwdriver.
In very hot weather I would take extra water, and in very cold weather a blanket.
It will be seen that the contents are intended for short term use in case of being stranded in an urban area, and not for cross country travel or long term survival.
I would in most emergencies prefer to stay put and to keep a low profile.

EDIT long after the original post. I leave the above post for reference but it is no longer true. I have been made redundant and no longer work in London.
Last edited by adam2 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bobthebaker

Post by bobthebaker »

adam2 wrote:

The police are not interested now (too much paperwork)!

I would probably dispense justice with a baseball bat and leave the baddie semi comatose in a public place "pour encourager les autres".
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. - Dwight D Eisenhower
bobthebaker

Post by bobthebaker »

Okey dokey, I'm gonna add my tuppence ha'penny's worth. I've taken Adam's list and added my own plus a few more categories. I'm working on the basis that there will be powerdown over the next 20 years and there will still be some 'leccy on tap. This list is not what I have but what I'm planning to obtain (mostly behind Mrs B's back 8)).

FOOD ; about 300 assorted cans, all things I use regularly. Dried pasta, about 20 kilos. Dried beans, about 20 kilos. Chocolate bars about 5 kilos. 10 jars each of peanut butter, chocolate spread, marmalade, jam, dried milk, honey, marmite. 25L cooking oil, 10kilos sugar, 1 kilo salt. 20 large jars instant coffee, 2000 tea bags. Also as much fresh fruit and veg as can be kept without risking waste or spoilage.
50 bottles of spirits, 1,000 cigarettes (mainly for barter or trade)
Sachets of high energy powdered drinks such as Complan and body builder stuff.
Nearer the time if TSHTF packs of vitamins, cod liver oil etc
High energy drinks such a lucazade.
Kendal mint cake.
Beer/wine making and associated equipment.

WATER, AND MEANS OF PROCURING. 100L bottled water, 2,000 water purification tablets,chlorine test papers, 2 katadyn water filters, water butts, hand pump, assorted hose and fittings, Iodine tablets.

LIGHTING several Tilley lamps with spare parts, hurricane lamps with spare wicks,parafin table lamps,20 cheap torches and several good ones, 100 chemical lightsticks, flourescent lanterns, home made LED lights that give a years light from 3 D cells. Batteries, 200 AA, 100 C, 200 D, 6 AD28, 25 9 VOLT, and limited stocks of other types.
Spare stocks of light bulbs, especialy non standard types that may be in future short supply. 100 Kilos of candles. H.I.D. spotlight. Spare PV modules and charge controllers.
Rechargeable batteries and rechargers for LED torches etc

FUEL/HEATING/COOKING/KITCHEN parrafin stove, liard fire box, barbecue. 100L of parafin, 20 L of petrol, 20L of diesel. Assorted gas cartridges, charcoal, firewood. thermos flasks, hot water bottles. Electric slow cooker, 600 watt electric kettle. Matches.
Bread Machine (natch), aluminium foil, shrinkwrap, plastic airtight containers (ie tupperware), air tight glass jars, cool boxes, freezer bags. Knife sharpener.
Bleaches, disinfectants such as jeyes fluid and any other cleaners.

CLOTHING 100 each of underpants, pairs of socks, t-shirts/short sleeve vests. 25 each of trousers, sweatshirts, pullovers, long underwear. 5 bathrobes, 10 nightshirts, 10 pairs pajamas.
10 pairs shoes, 3 pairs boots , 3 pairs wellingtons. Assorted overalls and workwear, in both dayglo orange (safer on unlight roads) and navy blue(for keeping a low profile). 4 duffle coats.
Thermal undies, woollen socks. Boots to include still toe cap & DM's.
Jackets/coats to include either Barbour or Dryzabone for rain protection. Fishtail Parka for an extra overcoat.
A couple of pairs of scarves.
A couple of pairs of gloves.
A couple of pairs of balaclavas/headwarmers.
Trousers to include combat trousers.
Packs of tights.
Boot polish and other shoe protection products.

BEDLINEN ETC at least 25 each of sheets, blankets, pillowcases, bath towels, hand towels. Spare pillows.
A couple of sleeping bags.

TOOLS ETC. Large selection of power tools to include a reciprocating/mitre/circular saw, router,nail gun, staple gun, angle grinder, planer etc
Hand tools - hammers,chisels,mallets, planers,screwdrivers, spanners,saws etc
Solar charger for cordless tool batteries. soldering irons (gas, electric, and conventional) parrafin blowlamp, gas blowlamp. hot glue gun. Electrical test meters, including analogue ones that dont need batteries.
spare tin openers and other kitchen tools. Swiss army knives, Leatherman tools. Jerry cans and a sack barrow to move them, folding plastic crates.

MISC. CONSUMABLES AND SUPPLIES; electrical solder, plumbers solder and flux, glues, adhesives and sealants of all types. Insulating tape, duct tape. Ropes, tarpaulins, assorted nails, screws, nuts and bolts, hooks and other fixings, cable ties. Spare plumbing and electrical fittings, electric cable. Binoculars, barometer, thermometer.

COMMUNICATIONS direct dial landline phone, dial up internet, 3 cellphones on different networks, two way radios, signal lamp. Digital and analogue radios. Battery tv. Wind up radio.

MISC SAFETY/SECURITY EQUIPMENT. spare spectacles. Fire extinguishers, fire blankets, sand buckets. handcuffs. Blackout material for windows, to keep a low profile if required. Several geiger counters. UV wand. Barbed/razor wire.

BOOKS - a central reference library containing: growing food, herbal medicine,medicines & drugs, medical symptoms, sex! (for the next generation :oops: ), dictionary, diy in general including carpentry, plumbing etc

ENTERTAINMENT - Packs of cards, classic board games such as Chess, Backgammon,Draughts, Snakes and ladders, Ludo. Various balls, bats, rackets etc Acoustic guitar, piano?

HEALTH & PERSONAL HYGENE - Razor blades, toothpaste, dental floss, hair clippers, deodarents, SOAP, SOAP and MORE SOAP! (this will be really valuable commodity), those thingies women use once a month in the green packaging :oops: :oops: , condoms 8).
First Aid kits, anadin etc, savlon antiseptic creams, bandages, plasters, blood pressure monitors, blood sugar monitor, lozenges, TENS unit?,Cotton wool. neoprene arm/knee supports.

PERSONAL SECURITY: Baseball bat, hard hat, steel toe cap boots, various hunting knives, machete?, shotgun, night vision specs, crowbars, stabproof vest?, knuckle dusters?, telescopic baton, pepper sprays, rape alarms.

GARDEN: Shed, Greenhouse, coldframes, pots, potting trays, herbicides, fungicides,pesticides. INORGANIC fertilizers, superphosphates in particular, tomato feeds, mulches, soil conditioners. Various trolleys especially a 4 wheeled one, wheelbarrows. Garden tools rakes, spades,trowels, buckets, secatuers/pruners, brooms, garden vac/blower.

Potential Skills required?
Basic carpentry, plumbing, electrical, horticultural, beekeeping?, sewing, knitting?, learning knots, chicken keeping, cookery.

THe upshot is that the age of the "professional specialist" (one trick pony?)so lauded in this complex society of ours is coming to an end. The age of the amateur (a word so often said with contempt/disdain/patronisingly) multitasker is beginning and I for one am all for it. I know one or two people who are very good at their jobs/careers but absolutely hopeless at say, putting a fuse in a plug. Those of us ahead of the game will ultimately be more useful and respected in our communities and will be able to barter more successfully for goods and services.
Last edited by bobthebaker on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. - Dwight D Eisenhower
snow hope

Post by snow hope »

"mostly behind Mrs B's back"

Crikey, do you own a warehouse she doesn't know about? :lol: :wink:

Interesting list - thanks.
Real money is gold and silver
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

The alternative is to have a simple key to most warehouses: