Transition Towns and Leggett on Radio 4

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

clv101
Site Admin

Transition Towns and Leggett on Radio 4

Post by clv101 »

Very interesting chat on You and Yours today, some good info on Transition Towns and then Leggett talking about peak oil and climate change. Also a bit of a cornucopian nutter (James Heartfield) and the radio presenter who was generally quite hostile to Leggett?s message.

Starts about half way through today's programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/
jonny2mad

Post by jonny2mad »

I think legget did a good job but Id have liked him to have asked the other guy some questions on how white vans were going to run in the future .
The other guy was a total idiot cornucopian
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

James Heartfield is a leading director of audacity, audacity is a campaigning company concerned with the design and production of the man-made environment, advocating development free from the burden of 'sustainababble' and 'communitwaddle'.

He is not a peak oiler.
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

Starts about half way through today's programme:

32 minutes in.
Last edited by Vortex on Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam1

Post by Adam1 »

Leggett's non-confrontational style worked well I thought. Interested listeners will probably look up 'audacity', transition towns and peak and draw their own conclusions.
jonny2mad

Post by jonny2mad »

Id like to have seen mike ruppert ( if he was still active) or matt savinar have a go at James Heartfield ,matt savinar could take the guy out and still appear friendly
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

The tale was somewhat let down by the woman who pines for a future where no cars are heard and nothing moves except for the horses returning from the fields.

Our REAL future isn't going to be like that.

We can't - and won't - uninvent technology, so a rural idyll straight out of a Constable painting isn't going to happen.
Adam1

Post by Adam1 »

Vortex wrote:The tale was somewhat let down by the woman who pines for a future where no cars are heard and nothing moves except for the horses returning from the fields.

Our REAL future isn't going to be like that.

We can't - and won't - uninvent technology, so a rural idyll straight out of a Constable painting isn't going to happen.
Agreed, but if the woman making those comments is going to do some of the right kind of things to prepare and, importantly, fewer of the things that would make things worse, that's ok then, isn't it?

Given Lewes's proximity to the noisy A27, I don't blame her hoping that the cars will disappear. It's more likely that their numbers will thin out, which will be a definite improvement.
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

Agreed ... but the "person in the street" is not going to trust or support anything which has even a hint of hippydom.

People can imagine driving fewer miles, or flying abroad less often ... but going back to HORSES ... nah.
jonny2mad

Post by jonny2mad »

whether they can imagine it or not isnt the point when it comes to whether it happens or not .
horses were used up until the 1960s to deliver milk , and lots of other things , their a thing that replaces itself unlike a car that needs to be made .
I expect to see the return of the horse in my lifetime .
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

It DOES matter whether we talk about horses or not.

Our CURRENT population is going to need to stay calm during Energy Descent ... and filling their heads with images of mud and poo won't help.
jonny2mad

Post by jonny2mad »

well mud and poo are real, if you look at cuba they are using animal transport to beat their peak oil.
If you tell people the truth your likely to have the horse transport there when you need it.
if you tell them the futures hydrogen powered hovercars and you cant make them really, you wont have any transport
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Lots of horses in regular day-to-day use in Senegal, they use less than a tenth the oil we use per capita and much of that is used in electricity generation rather than transport:

But I get your point - maybe not a useful communication tool today.
biffvernon

Post by biffvernon »

Good that Leggett pretty much ignored the white van man.

There are loads of horses round my way but mostly they just stand in fields. Ocassionally they are ridden by the daughters of indulgent daddies..
Adam1

Post by Adam1 »

Vortex wrote:It DOES matter whether we talk about horses or not.

Our CURRENT population is going to need to stay calm during Energy Descent ... and filling their heads with images of mud and poo won't help.
Some people are going to be angry and others will be happy...hope and fears. I think most will be focused on jobs and debt before they perceive the cars and exhaust fumes vs. horses and poo debate.

I don't have any illusions that Transition Towns will be idylls, able to stay aloof from wider events, but they are the only show in town as far as constructive (community level) PO responses here in the UK go. What was positive about the interview with Lewes woman is that she had some understanding of the change in direction of travel that we about to embark on; this is a big step forward when you compare her with her distant relatives: "Worcester Woman" and "Mondeo man".