Brimpfield station, disruption.

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

adam2
Site Admin

Brimpfield station, disruption.

Post by adam2 »

It would seem that "everything has all gone to pot" at Brimpsfield station, and at many other places also :cry:
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

I am guessing this is some form of coded message that I don't understand.
G'Day cobber!
Little John

Post by Little John »

BritDownUnder wrote:I am guessing this is some form of coded message that I don't understand.
"Everything has all gone to pot" is a key line of dialogue set in a train station in the first episode of the 1975 UK TV series "Survivors".
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Yes I looked up on the internet about this series. Just a little bit before my time. However it does appear that a lot of things have indeed gone to pot in the last few months. I will have to look it up on the internet.

The question is ... when or indeed if the virus has been brought under control ... whether the economy can be successfully restarted again. A bit like being on a plane when all engines have stopped and they have to be restarted in a timely manner before it crashes.
G'Day cobber!
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

BritDownUnder wrote: A bit like being on a plane when all engines have stopped and they have to be restarted in a timely manner before it crashes.
Except the wings have changed shape while the engines were out.
Little John

Post by Little John »

BritDownUnder wrote:Yes I looked up on the internet about this series. Just a little bit before my time. However it does appear that a lot of things have indeed gone to pot in the last few months. I will have to look it up on the internet.

The question is ... when or indeed if the virus has been brought under control ... whether the economy can be successfully restarted again. A bit like being on a plane when all engines have stopped and they have to be restarted in a timely manner before it crashes.
Entire series here

https://couchtripper.com/blog/?p=836

If you use Firefox. You can install the plugin "videodownloadhelper" and download all of the files off the site

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... oadhelper/
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Little John wrote:
BritDownUnder wrote:Yes I looked up on the internet about this series. Just a little bit before my time. However it does appear that a lot of things have indeed gone to pot in the last few months. I will have to look it up on the internet.

Entire series here

If you use Firefox. You can install the plugin "videodownloadhelper" and download all of the files off the site

Many thanks for this link. I just watched the first episode and was very similar to current events with perhaps the main difference being the fatality rate.
G'Day cobber!
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

The airlines have some ten thousand jets parked. I wonder if they have topped off all of the fuel tanks with cheap fuel as a way to store it. That would be about 18 million barrels of jet fuel.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

vtsnowedin wrote:The airlines have some ten thousand jets parked. I wonder if they have topped off all of the fuel tanks with cheap fuel as a way to store it. That would be about 18 million barrels of jet fuel.
All the fuel tanks of all the vehicles in America constitute the largest source of oil storage and can themselves affect the price would be a large storage on their own so top up while the prices are low. Here in Australia the fuel prices are almost as high as ever.
G'Day cobber!
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

250 million vehicles in us. If each has room for 10 more gallons that is over 60 million barrels of fuel. About 3 days of US consumption.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

PS_RalphW wrote:250 million vehicles in us. If each has room for 10 more gallons that is over 60 million barrels of fuel. About 3 days of US consumption.
I have heard it said that in the 2008 recession that most car fuel tanks were kept nearly empty and the government was seriously worried that people would fill them all up and put a strain on the oil supply.
G'Day cobber!
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

I will of course top off my tank the next time I'm out and about but only driving once a week and then to the nearest market I have not used the tank full I purchased mid March. The local price here has come down but as usual is still a dime higher then the national average.
emordnilap
Location: Hou�sʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹ��llʎ uoʇ �oɹʇɥ ʇɥ� �ɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ �ʌ�u qoʇɥ�ɹ˙

Post by emordnilap »

BritDownUnder wrote:
Little John wrote:

Entire series here

Many thanks for this link. I just watched the first episode and was very similar to current events with perhaps the main difference being the fatality rate.
I watched the entire series. Thanks for the link, LJ. Fascinating and very watchable.

It's surprisingly not that 'dated', despite being from the mid-'70s. A lot of still contemporaneous ideas in there, including the eternal "those who seek power are most likely to be unfitted for it" trope that bedevils us today.

The only bit I didn't care for was the posh accents from most of the main characters; the regional accented actors all came across as more genuine. Apologies for anyone with similar 'posh' accents. :lol: :lol:
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
Little John

Post by Little John »

emordnilap wrote:
BritDownUnder wrote:
Little John wrote: Entire series here

I watched the entire series. Thanks for the link, LJ. Fascinating and very watchable.

It's surprisingly not that 'dated', despite being from the mid-'70s. A lot of still contemporaneous ideas in there, including the eternal "those who seek power are most likely to be unfitted for it" trope that bedevils us today.

The only bit I didn't care for was the posh accents from most of the main characters; the regional accented actors all came across as more genuine. Apologies for anyone with similar 'posh' accents. :lol: :lol:
That pissed me off about series one as well E. It turns out, form the second series onward, they employed a different writer and it shows. From series two, the implicit plot line that those who were best fitted to take charge were the middle class types, fell away a bit and it became far more believable as a consequence. Though, it was still there a bit, of course.
emordnilap
Location: Hou�sʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹ��llʎ uoʇ �oɹʇɥ ʇɥ� �ɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ �ʌ�u qoʇɥ�ɹ˙

Post by emordnilap »

Little John wrote:That pissed me off about series one as well E. It turns out, form the second series onward, they employed a different writer and it shows. From series two, the implicit plot line that those who were best fitted to take charge were the middle class types, fell away a bit and it became far more believable as a consequence. Though, it was still there a bit, of course.
The very last episode was the worst of them all, IMO, and not just because of the 'laird' and his presumption. It all seemed like they were trying to force a tense, watchable drama out of one or three not-very-plausible ideas.

And I've no notion about the mechanics of the hydro system of course; perhaps adam2 will point out the flaws, if any. But the saboteur plot was all too glib and implausible.

Worth watching overall though. 7½ out of 10, a bit more maybe considering its age and naivety.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker