Rural crime "out of control"

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

Back a few years a local gun shop had a sign up behind the counter. "Justice likes peace and quiet at night. Anyone who disturbs his sleep will have his remains thrown in the trash in the morning.
" An Arrow pointed down. "meet Justice"
If you looked where the arrow pointed behind the counter there was a black and white Great Dane the size of a Shetland pony ensconced on his bed.
They had a very low theft rate. :)
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

My children decided to spend their Christmas present money on rehoming a 16 year old cat. This morning we were late feeding so it came down stairs and started eating the dog's breakfast (which is 9 months old and twice the weight) whilst the dog barked from a safe distance on the other side of the room.

Size isn't everything :)
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

We had a mobile home next to our new barn conversion raided over the Christmas period .. whilst we were at home.

Maybe the six or seventh break in we have had over nine years.

Pointless talking to the police.

In fact we warned the police about suspicious people 'casing' local properties a few days earlier.

The police operator just LAUGHED at me. She said that I was living in the past, and that they would only come out if we could see a crime in progress.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Burglary is now de facto de-criminalised, a bit like possession of pot.

Both are still against the law and can lead to arrest, but normally don't. Hurting a burglar is still a serious offence.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Little John

Post by Little John »

adam2 wrote:Burglary is now de facto de-criminalised, a bit like possession of pot.

Both are still against the law and can lead to arrest, but normally don't. Hurting a burglar is still a serious offence.
Round here, the consequences for a burglar who gets hurt while he is in the line of duty and then reports it to the police, are far worse than the hurt he may receive.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Vortex2 wrote:We had a mobile home next to our new barn conversion raided over the Christmas period .. whilst we were at home.

Maybe the six or seventh break in we have had over nine years.

Pointless talking to the police.

In fact we warned the police about suspicious people 'casing' local properties a few days earlier.

The police operator just LAUGHED at me. She said that I was living in the past, and that they would only come out if we could see a crime in progress.
Report it to your MP so that they know that the policing in their area is inadequate. If they're opposition they'll use it against the government. If they're Tories it might flag up to them that their policies are causing problems which might see them not elected at the next election.

It is especially worth complaining when MPs complaining about their security has just ensured that it has been enhanced. I complained about the reaction to Soubrey's little scuffle to my MP and he was offended. I don't really care and I will point out to him that MPs gaining extra care means that there will probably be more knifings in London as a result.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

PS_RalphW wrote:My children decided to spend their Christmas present money on rehoming a 16 year old cat. This morning we were late feeding so it came down stairs and started eating the dog's breakfast (which is 9 months old and twice the weight) whilst the dog barked from a safe distance on the other side of the room.

Size isn't everything :)
Good for your children, I hope that the cat will be happy and gets on OK with the dog.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

vtsnowedin wrote:Back a few years a local gun shop had a sign up behind the counter. "Justice likes peace and quiet at night. Anyone who disturbs his sleep will have his remains thrown in the trash in the morning.
If you looked where the arrow pointed behind the counter there was a black and white Great Dane the size of a Shetland pony ensconced on his bed.
This ties in with a comment I once read by Michael Moore:
"If you're (contemplating a gun because you're) worried about Security, get a dog."
To be fair, he was addressing urban types rather than folk like you :)
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

RenewableCandy wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:Back a few years a local gun shop had a sign up behind the counter. "Justice likes peace and quiet at night. Anyone who disturbs his sleep will have his remains thrown in the trash in the morning.
This ties in with a comment I once read by Michael Moore:
"If you're (contemplating a gun because you're) worried about Security, get a dog."
To be fair, he was addressing urban types rather than folk like you :)
My sister-in-law lives in a high gun control area and has four children at home so guns are not an option. She acquired a boxer to help out and he is quite intimidating when she is out running with him but inside is a pussycat that thinks he should have as much lap time as the chihuahuas. He has become very protective of the three year old so earns his kibble.
The thing about guns is you don't have to walk them twice a day or feed them more often then you have time for. I haven't fed any of mine a single bullet in months.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Neighbours have had several tons of builders waste fly tipped on their land.
The police are not hopeful of catching the offenders.
The only action taken by the local authority has been to serve a notice requiring that the landowner promptly remove the waste at their own expense.

There is a very strong suspicion that travellers are behind this and other fly tipping, therefore nothing can be done.
The police are frightened of travellers.
The local authority regard travellers as a protected species who need help and support, not persecution.

Removing the waste will cost several thousand pounds.
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

adam2 wrote:Neighbours have had several tons of builders waste fly tipped on their land.
The police are not hopeful of catching the offenders.
The only action taken by the local authority has been to serve a notice requiring that the landowner promptly remove the waste at their own expense.

There is a very strong suspicion that travellers are behind this and other fly tipping, therefore nothing can be done.
The police are frightened of travellers.
The local authority regard travellers as a protected species who need help and support, not persecution.

Removing the waste will cost several thousand pounds.
You have a failure of government there that should be an issue every election. A little investigative work should be able to trace the waste back to the construction project from whence it came and then force the generators to come pick it up. The person that paid the "travelers" as you call them is the first person to commit a crime here and should be held accountable.