Deep Adaptation forum

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

UndercoverElephant

Deep Adaptation forum

Post by UndercoverElephant »

This is really for people professionally involved in the preparation for collapse, either academically or practically. It is not for poorly thought out quick posts and stupid, repetetive arguments:

https://deepadaptation.ning.com
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Ha, yes, good description!
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

My first impression of this website is the perhaps not very deep thought that there are a lot of pictures of trees on the front page. A Deep Adaptation Professional is someone who probably does not laugh much.

I will have to investigate further when I get the time.
Last edited by BritDownUnder on Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
G'Day cobber!
stumuz1

Post by stumuz1 »

Usual doomer site.

Desperately concerned that someone, somewhere, may be happy and content.
Potemkin Villager

Post by Potemkin Villager »

Bunch of pompous self important malcontents for ever bitching and disagreeing with one another all funded with Russian (of course) gold from the Schumacher Institute! :roll:
The Stone Age represents 99.99% of mankind's existence on this planet. Francis Pryor
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Do you think that they are bourgeois or petit bourgeois, PV? I'm sure that LJ could tell us.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

I started Deep Adaptation in the mid 1970s, Stu, in an attempt to ensure people continued to be "happy and content." I've been at it ever since and will continue until I shuffle off this mortal coil.
stumuz1

Post by stumuz1 »

kenneal - lagger wrote:I started Deep Adaptation in the mid 1970s, Stu, in an attempt to ensure people continued to be "happy and content." I've been at it ever since and will continue until I shuffle off this mortal coil.
I most humbly apologise, Ken.

As you are a signpost and not a weathercock, when it comes to most things fundamental and especially energy and sustainability related, I will give the website an in-depth look.

My off the cuff remark was a reaction to all the identity politics going on at the moment. Being lectured by MSM and people I meet on how to save the world has left me a bit jaded.
Little John

Post by Little John »

kenneal - lagger wrote:Do you think that they are bourgeois or petit bourgeois, PV? I'm sure that LJ could tell us.
Both, I should imagine
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

stumuz1 wrote:
kenneal - lagger wrote:I started Deep Adaptation in the mid 1970s, Stu, in an attempt to ensure people continued to be "happy and content." I've been at it ever since and will continue until I shuffle off this mortal coil.
I most humbly apologise, Ken.

As you are a signpost and not a weathercock, when it comes to most things fundamental and especially energy and sustainability related, I will give the website an in-depth look.

My off the cuff remark was a reaction to all the identity politics going on at the moment. Being lectured by MSM and people I meet on how to save the world has left me a bit jaded.
I think that many of us need to apologise to each other to some extent on this board as many of us have been guilty of off the cuff remarks to people who we agree with in many ways but have disagreements with in the sphere of politics. Rather than emphasising those areas of political disagreement, which there has been a tendency to, we should be emphasising the areas of agreement.

I think that we are all travelling, whether we have realised it or not, in roughly the same direction, which would be towards some degree of Deep Adaption, originally to the perceived threat of Peak Oil but now to the threats of economic/societal decline/collapse due to resource depletion or climate change induced collapse or both and are all here because we agree on that direction.

There will be many ways of adapting to the future, some better than others, some deeper than others, some more acceptable to some than others, but that is what we are here to discuss. So please can all we do that civilly, me included, so that we can reattract some of the interesting minds that have been here in the past but have been driven away by factional infighting?

The direction of travel is more important than the exact way that we get there at the moment. We all know that getting there by internal engined car is not possible but whether we go by bus, train, in an E-car, on a bike, or on foot or a combination is what we must discuss civilly.

Perhaps if we have a "Political Discussion" thread and keep/banish all "detailed" discussions on the minutiae of our differences there it might make the discussions a bit less tedious for our members and the very many more guests who visit the forum?
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

And thank you, Stu, for your kind remarks. Flattery will get you everywhere!!
Potemkin Villager

Post by Potemkin Villager »

kenneal - lagger wrote:Do you think that they are bourgeois or petit bourgeois, PV? I'm sure that LJ could tell us.
I would think more running dog lackeys of western imperialism.

kenneal - lagger wrote:
I started Deep Adaptation in the mid 1970s, Stu, in an attempt to ensure people continued to be "happy and content." I've been at it ever since and will continue until I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Do you mean this web site or deep adaptation in general?

I have tried to register on their Irish facebook page but have not been considered worthy enough yet to join their great leap forward . Perhaps I need some permacultural re orientation and compulsorary going about barefoot to help me walk more lightly upon the earth (as one of the more unbearable permaculture wannabe gurus I have come across puts it).
The Stone Age represents 99.99% of mankind's existence on this planet. Francis Pryor
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Hear! Hear! Ken.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

I started Deep Adaptation in the mid 70s, PV, and joined this website after you in 2006 after meeting Mike Peplar at an environmental conference in Oxford, I think it was. I came across one of Jem Bendell's posts a year or two ago and his thinking chimed well with mine.

I started deep adaptation after reading about resource depletion in the early seventies when a lot of books on the subject came out after the Arabs cut off oil supplies to the west during the Arab Israeli war and economic activity slowed down considerably. They all talked about the exponential growth in mineral extraction and use and how exponential growth couldn't go on for ever or even for long as even at that time ores were getting to be about 1% or less and the holes we were digging to get them out were very deep. Ores are even less concentrated, or rather even more dilute, now and the holes in the ground are even deeper.

My original effort was to build an extension to a bungalow to take it from 800 square feet to 2300 sq ft on three floors but with a heating requirement of only 6kW excluding hot water. This would be about what a modern house of the same size would require and was quite extreme at the time. It was on a quarter acre plot so we had a large vegetable plot and a greenhouse.

I then sold that house in 1983 and bought 14 acres of land to start a self sufficient small holding and build some form of eco house on it. We eventually got planning permission in 1996 and built our cob house. For various reasons we have gone from commercial keeping of goats for milk, free range pigs and free range hens for eggs to range reared suckler cattle on Greenham Common with enough free range hens for eggs for our own use. Having got rid of the goats we now have a vegetable garden and fruit trees.

I have been supporting local eco groups, gardening and sourcing land for more allotments through the parish council. I also run cob building and cob oven building courses around the country.

Next project is an eight home self built eco hamlet on the holding, there is safety in numbers, on which I have had initial consultations with the planning authority. They have raised a couple of problems which I am pretty sure that I can answer for them. With 14 acres plus grazing on the common there is enough land for nine families to be self sufficient and also to supply some produce for local people if necessary. The houses would be negative energy and off grid so we could supply our own energy until either the batteries, PV or wind turbine finally broke. Lead acid batteries could be made if we could get the materials, I think it was the Mesopotamians who made batteries in earthenware pots, so power would then depend on the longevity of the wind turbine and the PV.

I hope to attract a group of people of varying abilities to make the eco hamlet as self self sufficient as possible in a future where who knows how long our current level of civilisation will last. Having a group who are prepared for such a future in a local area which is also prepared to an extent can only make chances of survival better. That's in theory anyway!!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Thanks, Chris.

I haven't looked at their Facebook page yet, PV, although I've tried to register on the Professional page referred to above.

By the way I only realised that what I have been doing all these years could be called Deep Adaptation when I saw Jem Bendell's posts.