General Election June 8

What can we do to change the minds of decision makers and people in general to actually do something about preparing for the forthcoming economic/energy crises (the ones after this one!)?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Snail

General Election June 8

Post by Snail »

A BREXIT election!
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Indeed, please add relevant posts to this thread and avoid starting multiple threads on the same subject.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Snail

Post by Snail »

I'm not sure May will substantially increase her majority. Big increase for lib dems; Tim's grinning like a monkey. Slight decrease for snp. People who voted Leave in Wales won't be so sure now after realising how much European money they'll miss out on. I don't think the labour vote will collapse in England; labour's committed to leave after all.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

I expect an increased conservative majority for two reasons.
Firstly I doubt that the PM would call the election if not confidant of gaining an increased majority.
Secondly, no matter how popular the present labour leader may be with party activists, many consider him to be an electoral liability.

A cynic like me would even suspect that the PM wishes to hold an election before labour dump the present leader and choose someone more electable.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Corbyn/Labour could stop this tomorrow. If they don't vote against, it's likely we'll be swapping three years of weak tory majority for five years of strong majority. Why would Labour MPs vote for that!?

I guess for the 'opposition' not to vote for a general election would send a very strange signal about how they see their roll in parliament.
AutomaticEarth

Post by AutomaticEarth »

clv101 wrote:Corbyn/Labour could stop this tomorrow. If they don't vote against, it's likely we'll be swapping three years of weak tory majority for five years of strong majority. Why would Labour MPs vote for that!?

I guess for the 'opposition' not to vote for a general election would send a very strange signal about how they see their roll in parliament.
I think Corbyn is hoping to take votes off of both UKIP and disaffected Tory voters. Don't forget, Corbyn was a closet Brexiteer.....could be a clever strategy...

Corbyn voting against May could be the end of Labour.

UKIP will be crushed IMHO.

Myself, I'll be voting for the Tories. How will everyone else vote?
johnhemming2

Post by johnhemming2 »

clv101 wrote:Corbyn/Labour could stop this tomorrow. If they don't vote against, it's likely we'll be swapping three years of weak tory majority for five years of strong majority. Why would Labour MPs vote for that!?

If they don't vote for a General Election they are responsible for everything the government do as they could have had a General Election.
AutomaticEarth

Post by AutomaticEarth »

johnhemming2 wrote:

If they don't vote for a General Election they are responsible for everything the government do as they could have had a General Election.
John, don't you think it would have been in the Lib Dems and central Labour's interest to slow down the Brexit process?
Little John

Post by Little John »

If I could believe that a Labour government would not stand in the way of a full Brexit then, given that a Tory win would reset the electoral clock so that we had another 5 years of them, I guess I would have to vote labour. No choice really. But, with their views on immigration, voting for them will be a bit like having to wipe one's arse after going for a shit. It's not very pleasant, but the alternative would be worse.

But, I am yet to be convinced that Labour would not stand in the way of Brexit. So, I am between a rock and hard place.
johnhemming2

Post by johnhemming2 »

AutomaticEarth wrote: John, don't you think it would have been in the Lib Dems and central Labour's interest to slow down the Brexit process?
And how would they do that?
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

johnhemming2 wrote:

But isn't is also fair to say that by voting for the General Election, they likely (going by current polling) further empower the current government?

Will you be standing again?
johnhemming2

Post by johnhemming2 »

clv101 wrote:But isn't is also fair to say that by voting for the General Election, they likely (going by current polling) further empower the current government?

I expect to stand again.

The election result will drive what happens. Although the polls have the tories in front it is not inevitable. The only way of stopping Brexit is through the ballot box.
AutomaticEarth

Post by AutomaticEarth »

johnhemming2 wrote:
AutomaticEarth wrote: John, don't you think it would have been in the Lib Dems and central Labour's interest to slow down the Brexit process?
And how would they do that?
Easy - just vote against allowing May to go ahead with a snap election.

Saying that, I missed out on a major betting opportunity a few months ago...never mind..
AutomaticEarth

Post by AutomaticEarth »

johnhemming2 wrote:
clv101 wrote:But isn't is also fair to say that by voting for the General Election, they likely (going by current polling) further empower the current government?

I expect to stand again.

The election result will drive what happens. Although the polls have the tories in front it is not inevitable. The only way of stopping Brexit is through the ballot box.
Let's just hope that the Tories get the majority that they need to get Brexit through.
emordnilap
Location: Hou�sʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹ��llʎ uoʇ �oɹʇɥ ʇɥ� �ɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ �ʌ�u qoʇɥ�ɹ˙

Post by emordnilap »

People don't decide who governs. The media does. A shoe-in for May?
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker