Labour Party Watch

What can we do to change the minds of decision makers and people in general to actually do something about preparing for the forthcoming economic/energy crises (the ones after this one!)?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

emordnilap
Location: Hou�sʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹ��llʎ uoʇ �oɹʇɥ ʇɥ� �ɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ �ʌ�u qoʇɥ�ɹ˙

Post by emordnilap »

Little John wrote:It is the current insane wider immigration policies in conjunction with the inexorable driving down of pay and conditions in an ever decreasing pool of available work alongside shop-worn liberal accusations of being bigoted morons to anyone who has had the temerity to complain about the ugly reality of globalism for the internal proletariat of this country that has led to hardened hearts for refugee children amongst that proletariat.

We reap what we sow.
Yeah, Jinn. Or McDonald's, if you want, replacing workers - looking for the insultingly derisory rate of $15 an hour - with self-service machines. Some people, in jobs not yet automated, cheered at this.

Paul Mason understands. Most here understand: it was bound to happen and will continue to happen at an ever-faster rate, shit jobs below subsistence levels. At what point does the system break?
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
Little John

Post by Little John »

It's breaking E.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

Little John wrote:It's breaking E.
Well yes but you know what I mean. Like a dam breaking, sweeping all in its path. That's what I'm waiting for.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
Little John

Post by Little John »

I think things will shift a gear in four years when the the Yank proletariat realise that Donald Trump is unable to fulfill his promises to them; either because of a deliberate hobbling of his presidency by an American political establishment. Or, because nobody can fix the system on current terms. In other words, Donald Trump is as ideologically tied to an unsustainable economic model of perpetual growth no more or less than any other flank of the establishment. At that point, all hell will break loose.

America is heading for a Soviet style collapse. But, unlike the Russians and despite their noisy protestations to the contrary, Americans are psychologically weak and do not have a sense of collective responsibility to one another (which is somewhat ironic, given that they also noisily claim to be one of the most patriotic nations).

America's future is very likely civil war and fascism.

In terms of how this Long Emergency pans out across the rest of the world; I think this will depend on the cultural, political and economic histories of individual countries. But, whatever happens, it will involve strongmen and will probably involve an accompanying retreat from many of the liberal-left's cultural gains made over the course of the latter half of the twentieth century. More's the shame and the pity. But, the Left has only itself to blame for this; having taken its eyes off the economic prize and, instead, consoled itself with winning the culture wars. Temporarily, as it happens.

For the vast majority of the proletariat, it's always been about the economy stupid.
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

Labour survive against ukip but lose to the Tories in Copeland. Copeland has been drifting g to the right over the decades so this is likely not enough to unseat Corbyn . Ukip look very much to be history.
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45453807

Oh boy is this rich. Chucka Umunna tells Corbyn to "call the dogs off" because the Labour membership is trying to get rid of "centre left" MPs. The very same centre left MPs who have spent years resorting to any vicious, low-down dirty trick in the book in an attempt to undermine and bring down Corbyn, against the wishes of the membership.

The level of hypocrisy involved is quite breathtaking.
Last edited by UndercoverElephant on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

And that shite from Blair just pisses me off - a new 'centre ground' party? :D :D :D :D
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

emordnilap wrote:And that shite from Blair just pisses me off - a new 'centre ground' party? :D :D :D :D
The fact that he thinks this idea has any mileage is just more proof of how out of touch he is. So long as we have FPTP, it won't work.
Snail

Post by Snail »

We have to understand that this process of immunization is not merely a result of the above-described increase in practical knowledge of the macrosocial phenomenon. It is the effect of a many-layered, gradual process of growth in knowledge, familiarization with the phenomenon, creation of the appropriate reactive habits, and self-control, with an overall conception, and moral principles, being worked out in the meantime. After several years, the same stimuli which formerly caused chilly spiritual impotence or mental paralysis now provoke the desire to gargle with something strong so as to get rid of this filth.
Political Ponerology by andrew M. obaczewski
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Seven MPs have resigned from the labour party, citing differences of opinion with the leader.

They state that they are not forming a new party, but will sit as independents.

Details from news media of your choice.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Snail

Post by Snail »

I guess they'll have to form a new party at some point. I wonder if the lib Dems will combine and if it will attract some conservatives too. And will it allow labour and conservatives to leave the centre ground.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Whether or not they can form a new party and get re-elected at the next election will depend on whether they can take their constituency party with them which would be unlikely I would have thought.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Little John

Post by Little John »

They won't take their constituencies with them. Most of the ones who have jumped are the same ones who were looking likely to be pushed in the not too distant future by their local party membership.

They have jumped before that happened in order to exact the maximum possible damage to the Labour party and get their hour in the sun.

They are scum.
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

They are scum.
A bit harsh.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

More interesting question is why it took so long. With the election (twice) of Corbyn, it was clear the party had changed significantly. Significantly enough such that some MPs clearly didn't fit, and yet they stuck around, for years.

I think it would benefit the country if both main parties split, followed by a system of proportional representation.