Contacting Your MP - Help Required

Got campaigning suggestions? People to contact, places to advertise? Methods to use? How have people responded to your campaigning? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Murf

Post by Murf »

I've just received a fairly positive and well considered letter in response, having only sent my email (through http://www.theyworkforyou.com/ - thanks Peter) on Monday.

I know it's a small thing, but every little helps and if more people in positions of power can, at the very least, be encouraged to take a cautious stance about this and be properly informed of the dangers, then surely that has to be a good thing, right?

Just wanted to update all you trolls out there! :wink:
emordnilap
Location: Hou�sʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹ��llʎ uoʇ �oɹʇɥ ʇɥ� �ɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ �ʌ�u qoʇɥ�ɹ˙

Post by emordnilap »

Murf wrote:A good documentary on the experience of a community in the US who have experienced fracking at close quarters is "Split Estate". This is far from the only such documentary, but it can be viewed freely on You Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj1Am482zlo. If fracking can cause such problems in very sparsely populated areas of the USA and Australia, these problems would surely be greatly magnified in a country as densely populated as the UK.
Yes Murf, rather a good documentary. The existing well density is eye-opening and the proposed density is pure madness. America is one sick country.

Each proponent of fracking shown in the film should "volunteer" :wink: to live for a couple of years in an affected house. Some of bare-faced spin made me feel like puking.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

I went to my local Conservative Association AGM earlier and listened to my MP quoting figures on water use in fracking that I had supplied him with. Very satisfying!

I am now briefing him on the TTIP agreement that the EU is negotiating with the US and its probable consequences for environmental and employment laws in the EU. The fact that the provisions for safeguarding corporation's interests, the closed appeal tribunals staffed by corporate lawyers, will enable the corporations to have repealed any law that costs a corporation money or receive damages equal to their notional losses.

As the fracking companies in the US are exempt from most environmental laws fracking companies in the EU/UK could apply for damages and repeal of or exemption from similar laws in the EU/UK. Maximum hours laws and minimum wage laws could also be challenged by corporations. Slavery would effectively be back for all workers.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

This makes me really glad that you're a Tory. They wouldn't listen to the same stuff coming from a raving leftie like me.

You're obviously a "Turquoise Tory" :D
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
biffvernon

Post by biffvernon »

Yes indeed. I don't think they'd let me in to my local Conservative Association AGM. :)
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

I don't think I'd be able to keep a straight face.
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
ericgarmin

Post by ericgarmin »

Has anybody been on one of those 'Meet your MP' coffee mornings?
johnhemming2

Post by johnhemming2 »

I don't drink coffee.