Should transport infrastructure be more weather resistant ?

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

User avatar
biffvernon
Posts: 18539
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Post by biffvernon »

adam2 wrote: No sleeper service until further notice.
No restaurant service until further notice.
Well who'd expect that on the bus?
User avatar
RenewableCandy
Posts: 12675
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: York

Post by RenewableCandy »

The Knight Bus :D

I wonder if some enterprising soul fancies setting one up?
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
Tarrel
Posts: 2451
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:32 pm
Location: Ross-shire, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Tarrel »

RenewableCandy wrote:The Knight Bus :D

I wonder if some enterprising soul fancies setting one up?
Megabus have now set up a sleeper service between London and Inverness. Reviews are mixed, but it's cheap.

Here's a review:

http://www.teawith.me.uk/writing-and-media/333/


A mate and I backpacked round the US during one Uni summer vacation. We travelled by Greyhound bus and hitching, using the overnight buses to sleep on. Saved loads of time and nights in dodgy motels. Also cheap. Great experience.
Engage in geo-engineering. Plant a tree today.
User avatar
adam2
Site Admin
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:49 pm
Location: North Somerset

Post by adam2 »

biffvernon wrote:
adam2 wrote: No sleeper service until further notice.
No restaurant service until further notice.
Well who'd expect that on the bus?
Once the line is open as far as Exeter, they hope to provide the Pullman restaurant service on selected services between Paddington and Exeter.

For those going beyond Exeter, perhaps the first two courses should be served on the train, with port and cheese to follow on the bus :D
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
User avatar
adam2
Site Admin
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:49 pm
Location: North Somerset

Post by adam2 »

All is now well ! Pullman restaurant service now restored to the 18-03 service from Paddington :)
The train only goes as far as Exeter, and the dinner service is a little rushed as the staff have to collect up and wash the plates etc. before alighting at Exeter.
Still most enjoyable though and I am glad to see it back.

The ability to serve a freshly cooked meal on board is a huge advantage that rail has over air or road transport.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
User avatar
biffvernon
Posts: 18539
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Post by biffvernon »

Some folk have lost the art of making a good pack-up. I've seen wonderful picnics brought forth on French trains around midday, but they take food seriously there.

Here's one for sleeper train fans: http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/201 ... eper-train
Tarrel
Posts: 2451
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:32 pm
Location: Ross-shire, Scotland
Contact:

Post by Tarrel »

biffvernon wrote:Some folk have lost the art of making a good pack-up. I've seen wonderful picnics brought forth on French trains around midday, but they take food seriously there.

Here's one for sleeper train fans: http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/201 ... eper-train
They always seem to involve hard boiled eggs and cold chicken for some reason.
Engage in geo-engineering. Plant a tree today.
vtsnowedin
Posts: 6592
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 pm
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

Post by vtsnowedin »

Tarrel wrote: They always seem to involve hard boiled eggs and cold chicken for some reason.
Always a good choice and perhaps the evolution of the baguette ,cheese and wine with the lovely young girl, falling in love with you that leads to those family picnics a few years hence.
User avatar
adam2
Site Admin
Posts: 8142
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:49 pm
Location: North Somerset

Post by adam2 »

Not looking good again for anyone hoping to take a train from Paddington.

LAST NIGHT, no effective service was available for most of the evening rush hour due to signalling failure.

TONIGHT is even worse with no service for hours, and no services at all to the far South West for the rest of the day.

Some reports state that it is too hot for the new improved signalling to function. It is indeed hot, but not exceptionally so and I would have hoped that equipment should be designed to work under entirely foreseeable summer conditions.

No wonder people drive instead of taking the train.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
User avatar
clv101
Site Admin
Posts: 8771
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Contact:

Post by clv101 »

My wife's stranded in London tonight for this reason... annoying, however turned out to be a great social opportunity to catch up with old friends.
vtsnowedin
Posts: 6592
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 pm
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

Post by vtsnowedin »

adam2 wrote:
Some reports state that it is too hot for the new improved signalling to function. .
It maybe new but it appears to not be improved. :evil:
User avatar
emordnilap
Posts: 14622
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:36 pm
Location: Hou�sʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹ��llʎ uoʇ �oɹʇɥ ʇɥ� �ɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ �ʌ�u qoʇɥ�ɹ˙

Post by emordnilap »

adam2 wrote:Some reports state that it is too hot for the new improved signalling to function. It is indeed hot, but not exceptionally so and I would have hoped that equipment should be designed to work under entirely foreseeable summer conditions.
Wow, that sounds rather amazing - I mean, you might be enjoying a hot spell but...they happen, don't they?

Keep us informed if you find out what actually went wrong.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin
Posts: 12380
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
Contact:

Post by kenneal - lagger »

adam2 wrote:...Some reports state that it is too hot for the new improved signalling to function. It is indeed hot, but not exceptionally so and I would have hoped that equipment should be designed to work under entirely foreseeable summer conditions. ...
It's not as hot as it was last week and you would have thought that they would have designed a system to take at least some account of global warming with increased resilience in case of high temperatures and increased rainfall intensity.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Little John
Posts: 8549
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

All of this is the manifestation of peak resources, leading to peak complexity of technology and the ongoing attempt to squeeze the same performance from ever skinnier infrastructure.

This process has been ongoing for the last couple of decades and we have reached a point where it is beginning to show.

If you look you can see this phenomena everywhere. For example, I am renovating a house and have been trying out the new, acrylic (non-oil) based house-paints. Their introduction to the market has been sold on the back of emissions targets, and there may well be a benefit to be gained in the respect. But, it is as likely, if not more likely that it is also being driven on the back of the fact that these water based paints are cheaper to produce given the ever rising price of hydrocarbons and also a strategic need to keep the hydrocarbons being pushed into more essential markets.

However, there is one little problem. In terms of durability and robustness, acrylic house-paints are unutterably shite.

This phenomena is also ongoing in pretty much any other commodity in the market place. Skinnier materials and tighter engineering. But, many of them are now reaching the point of being barely fit for purpose
vtsnowedin
Posts: 6592
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 pm
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

Post by vtsnowedin »

Little John wrote:All of this is the manifestation of peak resources, leading to peak complexity of technology and the ongoing attempt to squeeze the same performance from ever skinnier infrastructure.

This process has been ongoing for the last couple of decades and we have reached a point where it is beginning to show.

If you look you can see this phenomena everywhere. For example, I am renovating a house and have been trying out the new, acrylic (non-oil) based house-paints. Their introduction to the market has been sold on the back of emissions targets, and there may well be a benefit to be gained in the respect. But, it is as likely, if not more likely that it is also being driven on the back of the fact that these water based paints are cheaper to produce given the ever rising price of hydrocarbons and also a strategic need to keep the hydrocarbons being pushed into more essential markets.

However, there is one little problem. In terms of durability and robustness, acrylic house-paints are unutterably shite.

This phenomena is also ongoing in pretty much any other commodity in the market place. Skinnier materials and tighter engineering. But, many of them are now reaching the point of being barely fit for purpose
I haven't observed much of a rise in prices over the last couple of years.
Post Reply