Airlines in trouble

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

adam2
Site Admin

Airlines in trouble

Post by adam2 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19234661

This seems to be happening increasingly frequently, perhaps aviation has peaked.
Last edited by adam2 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
emordnilap
Location: Hou�sʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹ��llʎ uoʇ �oɹʇɥ ʇɥ� �ɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ �ʌ�u qoʇɥ�ɹ˙

Post by emordnilap »

Good, good, good.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
Kentucky Fried Panda

Post by Kentucky Fried Panda »

emordnilap wrote:Good, good, good.
Schadenfreude.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

Kentucky Fried Panda wrote:
emordnilap wrote:Good, good, good.
Schadenfreude.
Somewhat opposite. Pleasure at seeing a gradual easing of the planet's misery.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
Kentucky Fried Panda

Post by Kentucky Fried Panda »

If you think removing one airline will actually help. Dream on.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

If it was only one.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

So those emails I get saying that a "gentleman" in Nigeria has millions of pounds to smuggle out of the country and he will share it with me if I help by giving him my bank details were true!!! And I thought they were a fraud. Think of all the money I've lost!! :evil: :roll: :D :D
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Kentucky Fried Panda wrote:If you think removing one airline will actually help. Dream on.
I think it helps a little.
The closure of a single airline does make much difference, but every little helps.
Some of the routes run by by bust airlines will probably be taken over by competitors, but some will porobably close for good.
Peak oil=peak air travel.

If an air route is taken over by another airline it is likely that they will charge higher fares. If the bust airline went bust charging say £100, it is likely that the replacement will charge more in the hope of making a profit.
The higher fares will lead to fewer passengers and hopefully to smaller aircraft or a less frequent service, less fuel used.

If an air route closes as a result of an airline busting, then of course no aviation fuel is used on that route.
Some will drive instead, which uses almost as much fuel as flying, but others may go by rail or ship which uses less fuel, or stay at home which uses none.

Busineses go bust all the time as a result of declining demand, poor management, or simply bad luck.
Other busineses take their place.
In the case of air travel though, there seems to be a structurall change towards less air travel, rather simply replacing a failing airline with a more competitive one.

I cant see any descision being taken on a proposed additional London airport for some years, hopefully by then it will plain for all to see that it wont be needed.
Air travel wont vanish unless the world ends, but it may be at or near a peak.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
SleeperService

Post by SleeperService »

Kentucky Fried Panda wrote:If you think removing one airline will actually help. Dream on.
As long as the number of flights decline that's good. The number of airlines is an indicator nothing more. Mind you I hope to see some big names fall to shock Joe and Joan Public. Unlike the last purge there won't be a full recovery followed by further expansion.
Scarcity is the new black
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

European airlines taken in total are said to be facing major financial losses this year, despite the heavy subsidies they're given (of course, 'burdensome regulations' are cited as one reason for lower profit :roll: ).
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

Airfares are up 21% in the UK in the latest inflation figures. That is by itself going to cut the number of passenger miles. Brent oil is up 25% in 7 weeks, and that rise won't have been factored in yet.

I haven't seen any numbers for total OECD pssenger miles recently, but I suspect any fall will be offset by rises in the rest of the world. Every gallon of jet fuel will get burnt, but not by us.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

RalphW wrote:Every gallon of jet fuel will get burnt, but not by us.
This is true.

Extraction of conventional oil is declining though, so there will be fewer of those gallons on the market.
DominicJ

Post by DominicJ »

Airlines are always in trouble.....
I'm a realist, not a hippie
raspberry-blower

Post by raspberry-blower »

Running on empty highlights where the aviation industry is heading
This is all bad news for airlines that are already combatting high fuel prices. I expect to see a number of big name airlines fold or amalgamate in the next two years as financiers can no longer afford to prop up an industry that is hemorrhaging with no relief in sight. This could mean a reduced number of flights, less options of places to travel and skyrocketing ticket prices. While mother nature might thank us for the reduction in emissions the airline industry is running on empty.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams.