French protests over fuel prices etc.

Discussion of the latest Peak Oil news (please also check the Website News area below)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

PS_RalphW

French protests over fuel prices etc.

Post by PS_RalphW »

The French are facing their own fuel protest moment

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-1 ... -shut.html

70% of refineries shut down. Some picketing of fuel distribution. Scattered panic buying and shortages.

However, there are two big differences. First the protest is about pensions, not fuel prices. Second, the French have a month's strategic reserve.

A straight face-down. Who will blink in this one?
ArowxGames

Post by ArowxGames »

So it's a peak pension issue then :lol:

Too many pensioners, not enough pension.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Has this caused any shortages in the UK yet ?
AFAIK we get little fuel from France, but there is a lot of vehicle traffic between here and France, and therefore the likelyhood of extra demand if drivers fill up this side of the Channel.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

I'm just waiting for the closure of the Channel ports again. That's their ultimate move to embarrass their government.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

It's also possible it might cut exports to the USA. They import upto
1 mbpd of petrol , mostly from Europe.
madibe

Post by madibe »

Update:

Paris Airport running out of fuel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11557240
happychicken

Post by happychicken »

From the ODAC weekly bulletin: -
France could be facing fuel shortages next week as industrial disputes over a pensions bill have resulted in widespread industrial protest including the closure of oil refineries around the country. Some panic buying of fuel has already been reported although the government claims to have sufficient supplies for a month. With UK government cuts due to be announced next week might this be a sign of things to come closer to home?
Believe in the future - Back to Nature
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

The French government are telling the people "not to panic".
Has an appeal by a government "not to panic" ever prevented panic ?

At this rate, fuel may become short in the UK, especialy if the channel tunnel shuts, resulting in more air transport, and if all the aircraft have to fill up in the UK.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

"Channel Tunnel closed: Continent cut off" :)
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
Lord Beria3

Post by Lord Beria3 »

France has sent in the army to break the blockage of the oil depots... in emergency the state can 'nationalise' the workforce, forcing them at the point of death to work.

Martial law, got to love it 8)
Peace always has been and always will be an intermittent flash of light in a dark history of warfare, violence, and destruction
madibe

Post by madibe »

Vive la revolution (or something like that... French was never my strong point)
syberberg

Post by syberberg »

maudibe wrote:Vive la revolution (or something like that... French was never my strong point)
No true Englishman ever learns to speak French properly :wink:
emordnilap
Location: Hou�sʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹ��llʎ uoʇ �oɹʇɥ ʇɥ� �ɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ �ʌ�u qoʇɥ�ɹ˙

Post by emordnilap »

If they don't like what Sarky is up to, why the hell did they vote for him? I like the French, they've got character and spirit. But wtf are they doing putting him in charge?
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

emordnilap wrote:If they don't like what Sarky is up to, why the hell did they vote for him? I like the French, they've got character and spirit. But wtf are they doing putting him in charge?
They don't like being told to retire later and to expect less money. But it has nothing to do with who is in charge, just like it would have made little difference who was in charge in the UK after the last election.

This dispute is certainly fascinating though. The french people are clearly up for a fight (as up for it as the miners were? we'll see...) but the French government simply cannot afford to back down. They are only trying to raise the pension age to 62. In the UK and Germany it is already at 65 and going up to 67 (right?). So in fact the French have far more pain to come...this is just the start. So "Sarky" has not choice. He can't back down, even if the whole of France grinds to a halt later this week.

And all this is happening at the same time as the UK spending review. Mmmm. I'm lovin' it....
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

I think the Sarkey is delaying the payment of a full state pension to 67 from 65. The international press (India, ME ) are reporting violence, arson, The European press simply talks about fuel shortages due to panic buying.

The French left are an uppity lot. It has done them well, but they are now facing an immovable object. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top. They are massing in numbers not seen since the anti-war protests, day after day.

Neither the left or the right understand the underlying causes (limits to growth) , and the fact that they are now scrapping over a permanently shrinking pie.